Baseball

Started by Iago, May 26, 2007, 10:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Quote from: ando on December 13, 2023, 03:06:40 AMIt's why the dude is playing in the States, right? I can't feel sorry for machine.

I'm not sure about that, actually. By not waiting out his contract with his NPB team until free agency, he had to start on a substantially reduced salary when he first came to the States, essentially leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table just so he could play in the MLB a couple of years sooner. I get the impression that he cares more about baseball than about money, or anything else for that matter. Anyway, I don't feel sorry for the Dodgers. My point was that I felt they were going to try and somehow weasel their way out of upholding their end of the bargain with the deferred salary.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 14, 2023, 08:26:20 AMI'm not sure about that, actually. By not waiting out his contract with his NPB team until free agency, he had to start on a substantially reduced salary when he first came to the States, essentially leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table just so he could play in the MLB a couple of years sooner. I get the impression that he cares more about baseball than about money, or anything else for that matter. Anyway, I don't feel sorry for the Dodgers. My point was that I felt they were going to try and somehow weasel their way out of upholding their end of the bargain with the deferred salary.

Otani is from a city next to the city I was born and raised (and formed a rock band).

ando

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 14, 2023, 08:26:20 AMI'm not sure about that, actually. By not waiting out his contract with his NPB team until free agency, he had to start on a substantially reduced salary when he first came to the States, essentially leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table just so he could play in the MLB a couple of years sooner. I get the impression that he cares more about baseball than about money, or anything else for that matter. Anyway, I don't feel sorry for the Dodgers. My point was that I felt they were going to try and somehow weasel their way out of upholding their end of the bargain with the deferred salary.
Well, it's an incentive now to finish this volume I picked up a while ago (wasn't terribly impressed with the intro, should probably skip them) about the former phenom:

Sho-Time: The Inside Story of Shohei Ohtani and the Greatest Baseball Season Ever Played (2022, Diversion Books)

vers la flamme

Quote from: ando on December 15, 2023, 05:58:31 AMWell, it's an incentive now to finish this volume I picked up a while ago (wasn't terribly impressed with the intro, should probably skip them) about the former phenom:

Sho-Time: The Inside Story of Shohei Ohtani and the Greatest Baseball Season Ever Played (2022, Diversion Books)

I saw this, and another book about Ohtani, at Kinokuniya, a Japanese bookstore in Midtown. Might have to go back and pick it up. I was surprised that more than one book had been written about such a young player (dude's my age!) in the middle of his career.

Szykneij

I wonder how much bigger Ohtani's contract would have been if he didn't have surgery over the winter and could pitch next year. I'm sure that was a concern for some possible suitors. He denied he had Tommy John surgery saying "I'm not an expert. It was different than my first surgery. I'm not sure what it was called. You can talk to my doctor". That has to be at least a little worrisome to the Dodgers.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

ando

Congrats to Adrián Beltré, Todd Helton and Joe Mauer for being inducted to the Hall of Fame but I was a bit miffed at the failure of one of my all time fave closers, Billy Wagner, to make it in (missed it by a handful of votes).

Maybe next year.

ando

'Tis the season (soon!). Rewatching this series...

Ken Burns' BASEBALL (1994) Free on on hoopla.

Mapman

Quote from: ando on February 24, 2024, 08:37:19 AM'Tis the season (soon!).

It's the first spring training game for the Phillies!

ando

Quote from: Mapman on February 24, 2024, 09:33:22 AMIt's the first spring training game for the Phillies!
Mets, too. Not surprised by the results. Mets pitching looked pretty poor.

I see the Phils squeaked by Toronto. They've got my Yanks this afternoon. Should be fun.

ando

Quote from: Mapman on February 24, 2024, 09:33:22 AMIt's the first spring training game for the Phillies!
Good second game vs a split squad Yankees team today. Nola looked like he was in mid season form. Phil's pitching was stellar all around, though. Poor Yanks looked like what you'd expect after 4 months off - rusty.

Christian Pache had a very good offensive day, including the first home run for the Phils this spring. Maybe they'll will take it all the way this season (barring major injuries). The 2023 end was certainly a let-down after an exiting late season surge.

T. D.

I don't follow baseball any more, but was a major fan as a kid. I was learning the game in the '60s when dominant pitchers like Koufax, Gibson and Marichal (that leg kick) were legends.
Just ran across this album cover which brought back some memories.

ando

Quote from: T. D. on March 15, 2024, 08:24:55 AMI don't follow baseball any more, but was a major fan as a kid. I was learning the game in the '60s when dominant pitchers like Koufax, Gibson and Marichal (that leg kick) were legends.
Just ran across this album cover which brought back some memories.

Hank Jones, piano
Ron Carter, bass
Tony Williams, drums

Nice memories. Good set. But we're talking Top 10 Worst Jazz album covers.  Thanks, TD.