Author Topic: What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?  (Read 406692 times)

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
Re: What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?
« Reply #1880 on: December 03, 2021, 02:11:07 AM »
^In Norway the Topping headphone amps are quite popular. They seem to be able do drive anything. Mind you, they're designed to have no sound of their own so they will not be to everyones liking.

Throwing in a pic with a view to our living/listening room, wife's plastic sandals and all. The main speakers are as mentioned dipoles, designed to operate below the dipole peak (ok, that falls apart at about 6 kHz for physical reasons. The tweeter is just too big). In practice they shower the room with a frequency spectrum that doesn't change much as you move around. Subwoofers between the main speakers and the front wall. The listening chair is that rocking chair. I sit fairly close when I listen seriously, about 1,8 m speaker-ear. Note the 10 cm reflection killing "box" above the listening triangle. It also does wonders to the acoustics of this rather classic L-shaped Scandinavian living room.

Good to see a turntable is part of your system. A lot of speaker toe-in but with such a close listening position that makes perfect sense. I would slightly worry of sound radiating from the back of the speakers causing effect to the delicate interface between stylus and record.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #1881 on: December 03, 2021, 05:12:01 PM »
Good to see a turntable is part of your system. A lot of speaker toe-in but with such a close listening position that makes perfect sense. I would slightly worry of sound radiating from the back of the speakers causing effect to the delicate interface between stylus and record.

I don't know about those speakers, but one can use extreme toe-in (so the speaker axes cross in front of the listener) to widen the sweet spot: as you move your head off center you move closer to one speaker but further off axis while you move further away from the other speaker but closer to on-axis.  This is called time-intensity trading.

I'm the only listener here at home, so I toe out my speakers slightly for a wider soundstage.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #1882 on: Today at 03:22:36 AM »
SPEAKERS: B&W 803D3
AMPLIFIER McIntosh MA9000
CD/SACD PLAYER: Esoteric K-03
DAC: Chord Qutest
TURNTABLE: VPI Prime Signature
PHONO CARTRIDGE: Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
BLU-RAY/DVD PLAYER: Oppo 205
HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800S and, Audeze LCD-XC

Bachtoven,

Is that your dream system that you want to get one day or the one that you do have?  Or are you part way there in acquiring the pieces?  In any event, bet that it would sound lovely together!  I don't know the B&W 803D3, but some years ago, I tried out various B&W speakers at a store including their 801 Nautilus...fell in love with them.  Alas, they were too big for my living room--which was probably a good thing budget-wise for me at the time.

PD