Author Topic: Cato's Grammar Grumble  (Read 539639 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: Cato's Grammar Grumble
« Reply #4780 on: June 27, 2021, 09:36:45 AM »
True, but I have some sympathy for the people writing the Wikipedia entries (not that I'd ever want to contribute).
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the "principal" was added after legions of Internet pedants noisily objected "What about <so and so>...???"

Aye, I see it ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #4781 on: June 29, 2021, 10:48:33 AM »
True, but I have some sympathy for the people writing the Wikipedia entries (not that I'd ever want to contribute).
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the "principal" was added after legions of Internet pedants noisily objected "What about <so and so>...?"

Aye, I see it ....

"...Internet pedants..."  Good phrase to describe such a "pinkelig" (as they would say in Germany) person!

Recently there has been a surfeit of jobs here in Ohio, which has led to Help-Wanted signs sprouting on street corners and telephone poles.  Many of the jobs are in warehouses....or are they?

"WEARHOUSE WORK $19.00 AN HOUR TO START!"

Now there is a clothing store chain called The Men's Wearhouse, but this sign was not from them!  Given that the sign is one of dozens, if not hundreds, around town, and was professionally printed, it is sad that nobody caught the error.

On television news, a station often slopping over with grammatical errors in its news broadcasts, we recently heard:

"Is the Tokyo Olympics in danger of being postponed or canceled?"

The Olympics as a collective singular?  "Physics," all right, but...?

The report was consistent in keeping Olympics singular.    ::)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #4782 on: June 30, 2021, 01:02:13 PM »
"...Internet pedants..."  Good phrase to describe such a "pinkelig" (as they would say in Germany) person!

Recently there has been a surfeit of jobs here in Ohio, which has led to Help-Wanted signs sprouting on street corners and telephone poles.  Many of the jobs are in warehouses....or are they?

"WEARHOUSE WORK $19.00 AN HOUR TO START!"

Now there is a clothing store chain called The Men's Wearhouse, but this sign was not from them!  Given that the sign is one of dozens, if not hundreds, around town, and was professionally printed, it is sad that nobody caught the error.

On television news, a station often slopping over with grammatical errors in its news broadcasts, we recently heard:

"Is the Tokyo Olympics in danger of being postponed or canceled?"

The Olympics as a collective singular?  "Physics," all right, but...?

The report was consistent in keeping Olympics singular.    ::)
Are the Tokyo Olympics a multi-sport event, or is the Tokyo Olympics a multi-sport event?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #4783 on: July 22, 2021, 07:05:35 AM »
A new phrase caught my eye today, apparently coined just a few years ago.

"Desire paths" might sound like the circuitous route to a church altar with Wagner's march from Lohengrin in the background.

On the other hand, it might also be a euphemism for the directions to a cheap motel!  ???  8)

But no:

"...“desire paths” – described by Robert Macfarlane as “paths & tracks made over time by the wishes & feet of walkers, especially those paths that run contrary to design or planning”; he calls them “free-will ways”. The New Yorker offers other names: “cow paths, pirate paths, social trails, kemonomichi (beast trails), chemins de l’âne (donkey paths), and Olifantenpad (elephant trails)”. JM Barrie described them as “Paths that have Made Themselves”.

Reddit has desire path threads, tens of thousands of people strong, delighting in the more mysterious or illogical-seeming of them...."

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/oct/05/desire-paths-the-illicit-trails-that-defy-the-urban-planners

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #4784 on: July 22, 2021, 07:24:10 AM »

"Desire paths" might sound like the circuitous route to a church altar with Wagner's march from Lohengrin in the background.

On the other hand, it might also be a euphemism for the directions to a cheap motel!  ???  8)

But no:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/oct/05/desire-paths-the-illicit-trails-that-defy-the-urban-planners
Interesting!  Perhaps "desire paths" are also good clues/suggestions as to future construction plans?  ;)

PD

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #4785 on: July 22, 2021, 09:22:51 AM »

But no:

Interesting. Around here we call them shortcuts   :D

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #4786 on: July 22, 2021, 09:32:43 AM »

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #4787 on: July 22, 2021, 11:11:54 AM »

But no:

The image reminded me of some of the things that happened a few years ago when London decided to pioneer some new approaches to road design -- they wanted to see whether they could just remove the barriers between road and sidewalk, as there was good evidence that (paradoxically) if pedestrians wondered aimlessly, drivers would pay more attention and there would be less accidents. The pilots were in busy areas -- Oxford Circus and South Kensington. What they found is that pedestrians were natural pythagorians, they took the diagonal route by preference. These images shows what happens at South Ken and Oxford Circus quite nicely

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #4788 on: July 22, 2021, 12:17:55 PM »

Same here in Ohio, U.S.A!

The image reminded me of some of the things that happened a few years ago when London decided to pioneer some new approaches to road design -- they wanted to see whether they could just remove the barriers between road and sidewalk, as there was good evidence that (paradoxically) if pedestrians wondered aimlessly, drivers would pay more attention and there would be less accidents. The pilots were in busy areas -- Oxford Circus and South Kensington. What they found is that pedestrians were natural Pythagoreans, they took the diagonal route by preference. These images shows what happens at South Ken and Oxford Circus quite nicely

"Natural Pythagoreans"!  I like that!   0:)