Cato's Grammar Grumble

Started by Cato, February 08, 2009, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: Ken B on August 31, 2019, 02:29:32 PM
American education has become a 20 year Milgram experiment.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 31, 2019, 02:31:56 PM
Dang! You're right.

Among my colleagues there is not much obedience about this issue!   :D    Many - if not all - are planning to "protest" by doing other things at the convention (correcting papers, reading books, etc.).  I am still debating about attending: I could stay home and cut the grass, or do something really important, like breathing.   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Cato

Concerning the fake "educational consultant" i.e. huckster mentioned below: at the convention he worked the crowd like Elmer Gantry, thereby proving our (my and those of my colleagues) suspicions about him.  It also turned out that he wants to sell his "consulting" forms to the diocese, of course.   ;)   No word yet on precisely how stupid the bureaucrats are!

I saw a report about the misuse of "milk" for "plant-based beverages," e.g. we have today "Oat Milk," "Almond Milk," "Soy Milk," etc.  Government bureaucrats saw no reason (for once!) to interfere, because they thought nobody would really think that a nut has milk.  Dairy farmers, however, have surveys showing that many people do think that real cow's milk is involved in e.g. almond "milk."  The farmers believe the term "milk" should be reserved only for moo juice.   0:)

Ken B

Quote from: Cato on September 08, 2019, 05:23:20 AM
Concerning the fake "educational consultant" i.e. huckster mentioned below: at the convention he worked the crowd like Elmer Gantry, thereby proving our (my and those of my colleagues) suspicions about him.  It also turned out that he wants to sell his "consulting" forms to the diocese, of course.   ;)   No word yet on precisely how stupid the bureaucrats are!

I saw a report about the misuse of "milk" for "plant-based beverages," e.g. we have today "Oat Milk," "Almond Milk," "Soy Milk," etc.  Government bureaucrats saw no reason (for once!) to interfere, because they thought nobody would really think that a nut has milk.  Dairy farmers, however, have surveys showing that many people do think that real cow's milk is involved in e.g. almond "milk."  The farmers believe the term "milk" should be reserved only for moo juice.   0:)

Do they object to "prairie oysters" as misleading labeling?

JBS

Quote from: Cato on September 08, 2019, 05:23:20 AM

Does this proposed ban extend to mothers who breastfeed their babies?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Cato

Second time I have tried this!

QuoteDoes this proposed ban extend to mothers who breastfeed their babies?

Heh-Heh!   ;)

I have heard no objections about the appropriation by this product of the word "milk."   ;)

Wendell_E

The site's so slow I not even going to try to post a picture, but what about those Tiger's Milk bars, which do list "milk" in their ingredients, but I'm guessing it's not actually from tigers. While we're on the subject, shouldn't food labels be required to specify exactly which species of animal's milk they contain?
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Cato

Quote from: Wendell_E on September 10, 2019, 05:43:28 AM
The site's so slow I not even going to try to post a picture, but what about those Tiger's Milk bars, which do list "milk" in their ingredients, but I'm guessing it's not actually from tigers. While we're on the subject, shouldn't food labels be required to specify exactly which species of animal's milk they contain?

I would think so: supposedly goat's milk is easier to digest for some people, and so it is labeled as such.  Some of the Luddites who make their own soap will proudly tout "Goat's Milk Soap" on their products.

A person was complaining about the use of acronyms as words, specifically "yolo."

I may have written here before about how somebody asked me about "the Latin word yolo."  Apparently some wise guy on the Internet has a hoax about "yolo, yolare, yolavi" being a Latin verb (it isn't) and meaning "to live only once."

You Only Live Once.

The context of the complaint seemed to be a conversation about sky-diving, where the answer as to why one would do such a thing was a shrug with the comment "yolo."

Cato

For your consideration...a headline from today's local newspaper:

"After Dorian, Bahamas Avoid Newest Storm"   ;)

Ken B

Quote from: Cato on September 15, 2019, 12:03:28 PM
For your consideration...a headline from today's local newspaper:

"After Dorian, Bahamas Avoid Newest Storm"   ;)
You can hardly blame the Bahamas but what do they actually do, cross the street?

Mandryka

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 31, 2019, 05:49:19 AM
No. Queer is quite offensive.

The way friends use it, queer refers to a very politically active approach to questions posed by homosexual identity, in particular a provocative anti-assimilationist one. You may have come across this

I'm sure that it was offensive though, just like nigger. It has become reclaimed,

(Strange this, just this morning I was looking at the opening chapter of The Sound and the Fury.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mandryka on October 31, 2019, 07:54:12 AM
The way friends use it, queer refers to a very politically active approach to questions posed by homosexual identity, in particular a provocative anti-assimilationist one. You may have come across this

I'm sure that it was offensive though, just like nigger. It has become reclaimed,

(Strange this, just this morning I was looking at the opening chapter of The Sound and the Fury.)

Great source. Friends.

Queer is offensive. It is not simply a synonym for gay or homosexual. A little research would tell you this.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Ken B

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 31, 2019, 06:40:16 PM
Great source. Friends.

Queer is offensive. It is not simply a synonym for gay or homosexual. A little research would tell you this.
Explain LGBTQ
Explain "We're here, we're queer, get used to it"
Explain this website http://www.queerevents.ca/event-city/hamilton

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Ken B on October 31, 2019, 06:57:10 PM
Explain LGBTQ
Explain "We're here, we're queer, get used to it"
Explain this website http://www.queerevents.ca/event-city/hamilton
They are attempts to 'reclaim' the word 'queer'. Yes. But they have not been, are not, and will likely never be successful. If I call you an effing queer. Am I saying something nice do you think?  Alternatively, look up the definition of queer and you will see that pretty much every source refers to it as offensive. Seriously, this should be common sense.

JBS

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 31, 2019, 06:40:16 PM
Great source. Friends.

I think it's one of those insults which have been "claimed" by the insultees and repurposed as a term of honor.  I have met plenty of gay people who use it that way.

But I don't think queer is actually a synonym for gay.  Queer suggests an attitude that is agressive and in your face.

Gay is Pete Buttigieg talking about his marriage.
Queer is the person who attends the local Pride parade in fetishwear that provides a full view of his "equipment".

Gays want to be accepted as normal.
Queers demand to be accepted as abnormal .

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ken B

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 31, 2019, 07:02:53 PM
They are attempts to reclaim the word 'queer'. Yes. But they have not been, are not, and will likely never be successful. If I call you an effing queer. Am I saying something nice do you think?  Alternatively, look up the definition of queer and you will see that pretty much every source refers to it as offensive. Seriously, this should be common sense.
What a ridiculous answer. Fucking anything differs from anything by itself. Look at those goalposts move! "Fucking Beethoven fan" is probably an insult.

Queer is used extensively here in Canada. On websites, posters, signs. It is used in government websites and government publications. It as used in a government apology for past discrimination.

If I make a comment about "fucking Americans" telling Canadians how to talk you can draw a conclusion but not that American is an inherently offensive term. 

I don't think it's an exact synonym for gay, or even a fucking synonym for gay, but it might be a synonym for fucking gay. It's a bit more emphatic and in your face.

Example https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/lgbt-travel

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Ken B on October 31, 2019, 07:19:42 PM
What a ridiculous answer. Fucking anything differs from anything by itself. Look at those goalposts move! "Fucking Beethoven fan" is probably an insult.

Queer is used extensively here in Canada. On websites, posters, signs. It is used in government websites and government publications. It as used in a government apology for past discrimination.

If I make a comment about "fucking Americans" telling Canadians how to talk you can draw a conclusion but not that American is an inherently offensive term. 

I don't think it's an exact synonym for gay, or even a fucking synonym for gay, but it might be a synonym for fucking gay. It's a bit more emphatic and in your face.
Nice offensive rant. You could have just said to ignore the word if it bothered you.

If I call you a queer, do you think I am saying a nice thing? Many dictioneries, Wikipedia, etc,, all say that it is offensive. It's nice to be idealistic, and try to turn a negative into a positive, but it has not taken hold in most places in my experience. And it is certainly incredibly misleading to claim that it is a synonym to gay or homosexual as was claimed.

Ken B

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 31, 2019, 07:32:12 PM
Nice offensive rant. You could have just said to ignore the word if it bothered you.

If I call you a queer, do you think I am saying a nice thing? Many dictioneries, Wikipedia, etc,, all say that it is offensive. It's nice to be idealistic, and try to turn a negative into a positive, but it has not taken hold in most places in my experience. And it is certainly incredibly misleading to claim that it is a synonym to gay or homosexual as was claimed.

I'd say you were — if I called myself a queer. I call myself an atheist, and you can call me that. It's an insult in a lot of the world, and originated as an insult. But it's not an offensive word now, and I am not going to scold people if they use it, and tell them do do some research before speaking.

Tell me that webpage is offensive and anti gay.  ::)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Ken B on October 31, 2019, 07:42:07 PM
I'd say you were — if I called myself a queer. I call myself an atheist, and you can call me that. It's an insult in a lot of the world, and originated as an insult. But it's not an offensive word now, and I am not going to scold people if they use it, and tell them do do some research before speaking.

Tell me that webpage is offensive and anti gay.  ::)
It could be considered that, yes. I'm actually quite surprised that the Canadian government has used it. And I think you've answered my question as well. In the US, I would never use that word. Never. Not spoken. Not written. And there's a good reason for that.

Karl Henning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 31, 2019, 07:57:23 PM
In the US, I would never use that word. Never. Not spoken. Not written. And there's a good reason for that.

Nor me.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot