Cato's Grammar Grumble

Started by Cato, February 08, 2009, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 23, 2024, 06:36:50 AMOh it's very common, sometimes British people even get subtitled on TV :o . To learn you summat about it, when us was living in Yorkshire we often heard the English language tret right badly :'( .

There was a Scottish movie some years back which had subtitles (Trainspotting) ? ).

And we have watched a few British and Australian T.V. shows or movies, in which - at times, given the character - subtitles would have been nice.  😇

What would Professor Higgins say?  (I am positive I know what he would say!)  😇

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Cato on May 23, 2024, 09:20:27 AMThere was a Scottish movie some years back which had subtitles (Trainspotting) ? ).

And we have watched a few British and Australian T.V. shows or movies, in which - at times, given the character - subtitles would have been nice.  😇

What would Professor Higgins say?  (I am positive I know what he would say!)  😇

I've had to do that before in the past due to difficulties in understanding some accents--not to mention slang and/or different meanings of words between British English and American English.   :-[

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Cato

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 23, 2024, 09:48:26 AMI've had to do that before in the past due to difficulties in understanding some accents--not to mention slang and/or different meanings of words between British English and American English.   :-[

PD

Recently Mrs. Ausonius and I were watching a crime drama, which was so full of East-Coast gangster slang, that she asked me whether I could understand any of it.  I admitted that it was rather difficult to decipher, so we turned it off.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on May 23, 2024, 09:52:19 AMRecently Mrs. Ausonius and I were watching a crime drama, which was so full of East-Coast gangster slang, that she asked me whether I could understand any of it.  I admitted that it was rather difficult to decipher, so we turned it off.
Swimming in argot.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

What's a Grambler Grummell. It sounds like a power tool. I'm wrong, yes?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Cato

Quote from: drogulus on May 23, 2024, 01:18:44 PMWhat's a Grambler Grummell. It sounds like a power tool. I'm wrong, yes?

Oddly, there is a firm called Grummel Engineering!

I suppose there might be some grumblers at Grummel!

"Grambler" produces all kinds of links!

A Surfboard!

https://www.facebook.com/boteboards/videos/948481311841529/

A rambling gambler!

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Grambler

Grammar grumbling will, however, continue here!  😇

DaveF

Quote from: T. D. on May 06, 2024, 05:29:38 AMThis must have appeared upthread, but really bugs me.

When did the apostrophe start designating plural rather than possessive in English?
Here's one I saw today:

Mom's love our bakery.  Consider giving a gift card, tote bag or a special cookie.

For most of my life that would have been considered an embarrassing sign of illiteracy. But now I seem to see it, especially on the Internet, just as often as the normal "Moms". I don't understand how dumbasses could even think that the apostrophe is correct for plural.

As Sports Illustrated used to say, another sign that the Apocalypse is upon us. 🤮
It's a usage with a long and distinguished history in the UK, where it's known as the "Greengrocer's Apostrophe" (perhaps that should be "Greengrocers Apostrophe") - thanks to signs reading:

Todays Special's
Cabbage's
Bean's
Potato's

ect ect.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

steve ridgway

Quote from: Cato on May 23, 2024, 09:20:27 AMThere was a Scottish movie some years back which had subtitles (Trainspotting) ? ).

For a real challenge you could try the Scottish comedy series Rab C. Nesbitt on YouTube ??? .

DavidW

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 24, 2024, 05:18:09 AMFor a real challenge you could try the Scottish comedy series Rab C. Nesbitt on YouTube ??? .

It was one of my proudest accomplishments that by the end of Shetland I no longer required subtitles to understand them! :D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on May 24, 2024, 06:10:36 AMIt was one of my proudest accomplishments that by the end of Shetland I no longer required subtitles to understand them! :D
;D

Repeated exposure helps for sure.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 24, 2024, 05:18:09 AMFor a real challenge you could try the Scottish comedy series Rab C. Nesbitt on YouTube ??? .
I remember once having to "translate" for a Scottish musician.  This was at a diner.  The young waitress was asking us for our orders.  He had asked for a ham and cheese omelette.  She looked perplexed and asked "What?"  He repeated himself.  You can guess where this story goes.  I eventually interrupted and explained his order to her.

I suspect that she hadn't traveled far outside our local area.  ;)  To be fair to her, his accent was pretty thick.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

The locals around here can still sometimes having me ask "what?" because many of them will talk too fast and slur all their words together.  They just don't believe in proper enunciation.  And they look at me like I'm the idiot for not following them. >:(

I've lived here twelve years and surprisingly not any easier.

Florestan

It's English, folks!

Non ragionam di lor, ma guarda e passa.

;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

steve ridgway

Quote from: Florestan on May 24, 2024, 12:55:14 PMIt's English, folks!

Non ragionam di lor, ma guarda e passa.

;D

As Bernard Manning once said, "Any time you're passing, f***ing pass!". :laugh:

steve ridgway

Quote from: DaveF on May 23, 2024, 10:50:45 PMIt's a usage with a long and distinguished history in the UK, where it's known as the "Greengrocer's Apostrophe" (perhaps that should be "Greengrocers Apostrophe") - thanks to signs reading:

Todays Special's
Cabbage's
Bean's
Potato's

ect ect.

And as for you with your ect ect.. ::)

steve ridgway

Regarding British accents and grammar, we have some very educational reality TV series if you can stream them from where you are -

999 Rescue Squad (Yorkshire) on https://uktvplay.com/

A&E: After Dark (Tyneside) on https://www.channel5.com/

They're free in the UK, just require registration and the watching of commercials.

Cato

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 30, 2024, 05:40:12 AMRegarding British accents and grammar, we have some very educational reality TV series if you can stream them from where you are -

999 Rescue Squad (Yorkshire) on https://uktvplay.com/

A&E: After Dark (Tyneside) on https://www.channel5.com/

They're free in the UK, just require registration and the watching of commercials.

Thanks for the links!  Some interesting homework awaits!   8)

We have sometimes on Saturdays caught a show about veterinarians in Australia.  Often we find ourselves needing a second - or two, or three - to ponder: "Uhhh, what did they just say?"   :laugh:   The problem is the accent, usually, and not vocabulary.  Usually, we are successful!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on May 30, 2024, 06:09:31 AMThanks for the links!  Some interesting homework awaits!  8)

We have sometimes on Saturdays caught a show about veterinarians in Australia.  Often we find ourselves needing a second - or two, or three - to ponder: "Uhhh, what did they just say?:laugh:  The problem is the accent, usually, and not vocabulary.  Usually, we are successful!
Crikey!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

steve ridgway

My aunt and uncle emigrated to Canada, I think in the 1960s or 70s, and she got a job teaching. Some kid went and told their parents their new teacher spoke funny and they went off to the school in a rage to complain about them employing foreigners who didn't know proper English :laugh: .

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 30, 2024, 06:10:55 AMCrikey!

Amen!  Some years ago Mrs. Cato became interested in an Australian series called McLeod's Daughters: the library had it on DVD's, so we were able to rewind and replay certain initially incomprehensible lines.

e.g. "Oil tyke kyra dis mobe."  :o    ???

Translation: "I'll take care of this mob (i.e. herd of sheep/cattle)."

However, lines which were mumbled often remained incomprehensible!

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 30, 2024, 06:40:24 AMMy aunt and uncle emigrated to Canada, I think in the 1960s or 70s, and she got a job teaching. Some kid went and told their parents their new teacher spoke funny and they went off to the school in a rage to complain about them employing foreigners who didn't know proper English :laugh: .

THAT is funny!

You remind me of the lament of Professor Higgins!