Cato's Grammar Grumble

Started by Cato, February 08, 2009, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

I tend to avoid much character description. Not that I make a point of it.

Cato

Quote from: ' on September 21, 2009, 01:41:40 PM
lapidarianation?

I'm used to seeing lapidary with wit, metaphorically "cutting stones." Lapidarian would be more like engraved in stone. Not clear to me which you were after.
'

My Random House Dictionary does not recognize "lapidarian."  I suppose you could coin the word, and it could also be used as a noun.

A "lapidary style" would mean a very exact and brilliant writing style, parallel therefore with cutting gemstones.

Amen    0:)    to Joe Barron's essay above!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Joe Barron

Quote from: Cato on September 23, 2009, 07:22:31 AM
A "lapidary style" would mean a very exact and brilliant writing style, parallel therefore with cutting gemstones.

Yeah, that's pretty much the idea I was going for.

I've been thinking further about this whole "show vs. tell" idea. I don't believe the need to show precludes any sort of straightforward description. What it means, I think, is that you want to be specific about a character's traits or feelings. You shouldn't, for example, simply say a guy is cruel. You should show an instance of the cruelty. Or if someone feels sad, you don't just say he felt sad. You show the depressed behavior. Someone, I forget who (but yeah, it was the New Yorker), said that when Woody Allen, in his movies, wants to let us know a character is cold and distant, he'll have another character say, "You're really cold and distant." It's a lazy way of writing. One the other hand, there's a brilliant moment in Shaw's Man and Superman where one of the characters observes that whenever Anne wants someone to do something, she ascribes her desires to someone else. Almost immedately, Anne reponds with something like, "Don't talk like that. You know Violet doesn't like it." I always thought telling, then showing, is kind of a cool thing. It shows, to my mind, the author has a strong grip on what the character is about.

owlice

QuoteYou could have him bend over to enter the room and step on everyone's toes (or be careful of them). Then you don't have to mention height or shoe size.

I'd think a hunchback in clown shoes walked in if I weren't reading carefully, and if I were, I might think he bent over because he was in pain. Or weird! :D

MN Dave

Quote from: owlice on September 23, 2009, 01:20:25 PM
I'd think a hunchback in clown shoes walked in if I weren't reading carefully, and if I were, I might think he bent over because he was in pain. Or weird! :D

;D

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Benji

Cato my good man, would you let me know what you think of this little matter:

"Given the recent press coverage, we would therefore like to be clear Rangers FC is neither operated or run by Lloyds Banking Group"

The little man inside my head feels it should be nor rather than or. Or is it an either/or thing?

secondwind

Quote from: Benji on October 27, 2009, 09:26:54 AM

"Given the recent press coverage, we would therefore like to be clear Rangers FC is neither operated or run by Lloyds Banking Group"

The little man inside my head feels it should be nor rather than or. Or is it an either/or thing?
I'd say it's a neither/nor thing! ;D

MN Dave

karlhenning

MN Dave

Ten thumbs

There is also a 'tautology thing'. Given the word 'given', the word 'therefore' is redundant.

A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

karlhenning

MN Dave

Anyone know any other cool lit sites?

Opus106

Quote from: MN Dave on October 28, 2009, 11:04:52 AM
Anyone know any other cool lit sites?

I suppose you've already heard about Project Gutenberg and what a useful literary resource it is on the Internet? :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Cato

Yes, sorry for the late reply, but "nor" is what you want!

And it seems a colon is missing after the word "clear."

Yes, Project Gutenberg is one of the useful and positive aspects of the Internet.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

MN Dave

Quote from: opus106 on October 28, 2009, 12:28:37 PM
I suppose you've already heard about Project Gutenberg and what a useful literary resource it is on the Internet? :)

Indeed.

Opus106

Quote from: ' on October 28, 2009, 05:09:54 PM
Not sure if this fits your category, but I use this a lot
www.etymonline.com
'

Thanks. :) I have visited the site before but never bookmarked it. I won't make that mistake this time.

And here's another: http://www.phrases.org.uk
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth