Derek Bourgeois

Started by sul G, February 09, 2009, 06:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

karlhenning

An interesting article, indeed.

I enjoyed (while reading) resisting temptations to plaster 'meanings' of various sorts.  It's almost a reflex of thought, I find, to react to elements of such an article, and (not to reduce the article to What It Did For Me) I was surprised at the effort required to read the article simply for information.

Dundonnell

Quote from: karlhenning on February 09, 2009, 08:35:49 AM
An interesting article, indeed.

I enjoyed (while reading) resisting temptations to plaster 'meanings' of various sorts.  It's almost a reflex of thought, I find, to react to elements of such an article, and (not to reduce the article to What It Did For Me) I was surprised at the effort required to read the article simply for information.

Could you possibly be a trifle less elliptical, Karl ??? ;D

karlhenning

cilgwyn

Another less visited & rather odd thread!!!! By comparison,the Henry Cowell thread looks popular. Derek Bourgeois does have one claim to interest. His symphonic output. According to his website,he's ONLY written 64!!! Havergal Brian eat your heart out. Only another four and he'll be bombing past the famously indolent,Alan Hovhaness! Yet despite his industry he seems to be known more for his music for brass than his orchestral output.
Some years ago I taped a concert of his Symphony No 6 'a cotswold symphony' (1988) via Classic FM (yuk!). I must admit the music,while pleasant,went more or less,in one ear & out the other & it was not long before my cassette was re-used for something more interesting. However,I DID enjoy a broadcast of his 1978 Symphony No 4 'Wine Symphony,which was probably broadcast on Radio 3 around that time. In case you haven't cottoned on (!) each movement relates to a particular wine. Which leads me to wonder why no one has written a beer symphony? If I was a composer I would probably have a go,but just thinking about all that beer all the time,while I was writing it,would probably result in my going down to the pub and being too p***** to ever finish it. Anyway,apparently it's his most popular symphony,even though I haven't heard it in 30 odd years & I would be quite curious to hear it again (I know about the brass band transcriptions). If I can remember listening to it,it can't have been all bad?!!!
Or was it just because it was about wine?

Cato

So do we glean that Mr. Bourgeois has not met Schoenberg's claim that great music can still be composed in C major?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

cilgwyn

I wonder if I could extend this thread to 123 pages?

cilgwyn

That's a great idea Toucan. I'll start now!!!!!!!!

cilgwyn

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dundonnell

There are times when life not only seems too short but actually IS too short ;D

Believe it or not-and Johan knows this particularly well- I am a compulsive list maker ;D I have a list of all the symphonies I still want on cd (either commercially recorded or burned from tape). The list numbered around 180 but has been substantially reduced since I discovered the 'Unsung Composers' Forum.

I am NOT going to add Bourgeois's 64 ;D ;D

cilgwyn

Indeed! I DID quite like the 'Wine Symphony' at the time,but I can't say I'm THAT desperate to hear it! I just like bumping a 'dead' thread! The fact that one of them is 155 minutes long doesn't help! Kudo's to the bloke for trundling on though!!! And if I DO ever hear one on the radio that really,genuinely DOES 'grab me' I'll let you know. But I have to say that,apart from the 'Lager....I mean,the Wine symphony,(maybe?),what little I HAVE heard SO far,does sound a bit like a poor cousin of Malcolm Arnold.
I AM pretty desperate to hear some of the stuff in YOU'RE 'attic' though!!!!!!

cilgwyn

Ok,cheer up Mr Bourgeois,that's eight additional posts!
(Erm,actually nine,now!).

relm1

Just listening to George Lloyd reminded me of Derek Bourgeois.  I am currently listening to the computer rendering of his massive Symphony No. 42, entitled "Life, the Universe, and Everything".

Duration: 155 minutes

Part 1:
A. The Creation of the Universe (21 minutes)
B. Dark Matter (21 minutes)
C. The creation of the galaxies, stars and planets (20 minutes)

Part 2:
Life on Earth with soloists, chorus, and orchestra (61 minutes)

Part 3:
A. Destruction by Ice (16 minutes)
B. Destruction by Fire (14 minutes)

Interesting to hear such a massive work in conservative idiom.  I enjoyed much of what I've heard from Bourgeois that is live orchestra, but of course, a computer rendering is just no substitute.  I'm putting a call out there for any other live radio broadcasts aside from what is already in the download section in hopes that people might have something lingering around.

cilgwyn

For anyone who doesn't know;you can download his 'Wine Symphony' at the Art Music Forum,if you haven't already got it!

relm1

I am sorry to say that Derek Bourgeois has passed away today at the age of 75.  He left his Symphony No. 116 unfinished at the time of his death.  Those of us who know his music are grateful for the body of works he did leave us with.  RIP.

Scion7

Well, this is one composer that I have never heard a note of music from.
I intend to investigate his work in the near future.

The Grove seemed to feel one of his influences was Britton (ugh!), but balanced that by also including Walton, Strauss and Shostakovich - so I will give it a spin.  I was impressed to see he wrote a good bit of music for concert band.
Such pieces would be - I believe - effective therapy for snyprrr - especially after being restrained, and one piece blaring from the left headphone speaker and a different piece on the right . . . hmmm, I'll see if anyone at the university can get a grant for studying the effects.*  But I digress.  $:)

Works list (incomplete):

Chamber                                                                                                         Band
=========================                                              ============================================
Sonata No.1 for Horn & Piano, Op.2  1958                                                            Serenade for Brass Band, Op.22b    1965
Violin Sonata No. 1 in D, Op.6  1959                                                                    Humoresque for Brass Band, Op.36a   1971
Violin Sonata No.2 in c, Op.9  1960                                                                      A 20th Century Brass Band Tutor, Op.60   1978
String Quartet in D, Op.12, 1962                                                                          Conc. for Brass Band No.1, Op.44, 1974
Sonata for Brass Quintet No.1, Op.21, 1965                                                          Conc., Brass Quintet, Brass band, Op.47, 1975
Wedding March Violin, Cello and Organ, Op.33   1969                                            Conc. for Brass Band No.2, Op.49, 1976
Serenade, Op.22, Organ, 1965                                                                             Calypso for Brass Band, Op.60f  1978                                 
Brass Quintet No.2, Op.39, 1972                                                                          Blitz, Op.65, brass band, 1980
March for Two Tubas, Op.40   1972                                                                      Euphoria for Euphonium and Brass Band, Op.75   1981
Sonata, Op.46, Clarinet, Piano, 1974                                                                    Conc. grosso, Op.61a, brass band, 1980
Sym., Op.48, Org, 1975                                                                                      Symphony of Winds, Op.67, 1980
Two Pieces for Tuba and Piano, Op.53   1976                                                        Fanfare for Brass Band, Op.71 'Sun Life'   1981
Fugue for Two Tubas, Op.55 1977                                                                        Rumpelstiltskin's Waltz for Brass Band, Op.78   1981           
Trio, Op.70, Horn, Violin, Piano, 1980                                                                   Aspirations, Op.82, brass band, 1982
String Quartet No.2, Op.263    2008                                                                     Fantasia for Brass Band, Op.111    1988
Double Brass Quintet, Op.260    2007                                                                   Concerto for Trombone and Brass Band, Op.114a    1988
Scherzo Funèbre for 8 Trombones, Op.86   1983                                                    Fantasy Rondo for Euphonium Duet and Brass Band, Op.124  1990
Fantasy Duo for Viola and Double Bass, Op.88    1983                                            Concerto for Percussion and Brass Band, Op.143a   1995
Quintet, Op.90, Flute, Str Trio, Harp, 1983                                                             Diversions, Op.97, brass band, 1985, arr. Op.97a, concert band, 1987
Sonata for Double Bass and Piano, Op.100    1986                                                  Forest of Dean, Op.126, brass band, 1991
Sonata for 2 Violas & Piano, Op.390   2017                                                             The Deep Blue Sea, Op.131, 1992
Intermezzo for 4 Woodwinds, Op.110    1988                                                         Conc., Op.136, brass sextet, concert band, 1994
Trombone Quartet, Op.117    1989                                                                        Perchance to Dream, wind orch, 1998
Caprice for Alto Saxophone and Piano, Op.119    1990                                            Sonata for Trombone and Concert Band, Op.156b    1998
Concert Study for Harp, Op.123    1987                                                                 2001 - A Brass Odyssey, Op.168   2001
Fantasy Pieces for Violin, Op.133a   1993                                                               Concerto for Eb for Tenor Horn and Brass Band, Op.194  2003
                         for Viola, Op.133b                                                                        Tuba Concerto No.2 with Brass Band, Op.362a   2014
                         for Cello, Op.133c                                                                        Concerto for Cornet and Brass Band, Op.384   2016
                         for Double-Bass, Op.133d                                        Nightmare for Solo Trombone and Wind/Brass/Fanfare Band, Op.253  2007                     
                         for Flute, Op.133e
                         for Oboe, Op.133f
                         for Clarinet, Op.133g
                         for Bassoon, Op.133h
                         for Horn, Op.133i
                         for Trumpet, Op.133j
                         for Trombone, Op.133k
                         for Tuba, Op.133m
Clarinet Quintet, Op.147, 1995                                                                       
Sonata, Op.156, Trombone, Piano, 1998                                                       
Sonata for Trumpet & Piano, Op.193    2003
Sonata for Tuba & Piano, Op.204   2003
Duo for 2 Clarinets, Op.243   2006
Malloracan Moods, Op.248 for Flute, Horn, Viola, Double-bass, Percussion   2006
Trio for Trumpet, Trombone & Piano, Op.285    2009
Sonata for Harpsichord & Recorder, Op.295   2010
Sonata for Tenor Horn & Piano, Op.304    2011
Eburon Brass Quintet, Op.318 for 2 Trumpets, Horn, Trombone, Tuba    2012
Trombone Sonata Nr.2, Op.342 for Trombone & Piano   2013
Sonatina for Trumpet & Piano, Op.347    2013
Divertimento Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn, String Quartet, Double Bass, Op.73    1981
Seven Proverbs for Brass Quintet 2 Trumpets, Horn, Trombone, Tuba, Op.79   1981
Miniature Fanfare for Brass Quintet 2 Trumpets, Horn, Trombone, Tuba, Op.108   1988

Orchestral
===========================

Symphony No.1, Op.10, 1961
Symphony No.2, Op.27, 1968
Symphony No.3, Op.57, 1977
Symphony No.4 'A Wine Symphony', Op.58, 1978
Symphony No.5, Op.68, 1980
Symphony No.6 'A Cotswold Symphony', Op.109, 1988
Symphony No.7 'The First Two Thousand Years', Op.158, T, chorus, orch, 1999
Symphony for Chamber Orchestra, Op.8   1960
Overture 'Mail Train', Op.16   1963
Promenade, Op.20   1964
Symphonic Variations, Op.19, 1964
Concertino for Clarinet and Strings, Op.25   1967
Variations and Commentaries for String Orchestra, Op.31   1969
The Globe, Op.29, 1969
Concerto for Amateur Orchestra, Op.36   1971
Tuba Conc., Op.38, 1972
Symphonic Pageant, Op.41    1973
Fanfare for Shakespeare, Op.45   1975
Clarinet Conc., Op.51, 1976
Conc., Op.56, 3 Trombone, Strings & Percussion, 1977
DoubleBass Conc., Op.62, 1979
Chamber of Horrors, Op.66, 1980
Fantasy for Orchestra, Op.92    1984
Sinfonietta, Chamber orch, Op.93, 1984
Organ Conc., Op.101, 1986
Trombone Conc., Op.114, 1988
Euphonium Conc., Op.120, 1990
Horn Conc., Op.121, 1990
Happy and Glorious, concert march, Op.128, orch, opt. chorus, 1992, arrs. band, 1992
Welsh Fanfare No.1, Op.132    1992
Concerto., Op.138, string quartet, orch, 1994
Percussion Conc., Op.143, 1995
Song of Farewell For the Departure of Janet Gough, Op.153   1997
A Dorset Celebration, Op.159, 1998
Romance for Violin, Cello and Orchestra, Op.165    1999
Violin Concerto, Op.181    2002
Symphonies No.8-114,    2002-2016

Stage
====================

Rumpelstiltskin (op, 2, D. Selwyn), op.43, 1974
A Portrait of Miranda (musical, 2, E. Dryden and D. Taylor), op.135, 1993
Christmas on the Underground (op), op.150, girls' vv, orch, 1996

Choral
===================

Jabberwocky (L. Carol), op.18, Bar, chorus, orch, 1963
The Pied Piper of Hamelin (R. Browning), op.28, S/Tr, SSA, pf duet, perc, 1968
Triumphal March (T.S. Eliot), op.59, T, chorus, orch, 1978
Cant. Gastronomica (W. Cowper, A. Pope and others) op.63, Mez, chorus, orch, 1979
Kubla Khan (S.T. Coleridge), op.95, S, T, chorus, brass band, orch, 1985
Armada (H. Newbolt, A. Tennyson and others), op.104, Mez, chorus, orch, 1987

* with all necessary medical personnel standing by
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

lescamil

Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Ken B

I attended a world premiere of one of his pieces for band years ago. I forget which  :-[ but I did quite like it.

relm1

Quote from: Scion7 on September 09, 2017, 08:11:30 AM
Well, this is one composer that I have never heard a note of music from.
I intend to investigate his work in the near future.

The Grove seemed to feel one of his influences was Britton (ugh!), but balanced that by also including Walton, Strauss and Shostakovich - so I will give it a spin.  I was impressed to see he wrote a good bit of music for concert band.
Such pieces would be - I believe - effective therapy for snyprrr - especially after being restrained, and one piece blaring from the left headphone speaker and a different piece on the right . . . hmmm, I'll see if anyone at the university can get a grant for studying the effects.*  But I digress.  $:)

Oh Derek was revered in the band community.  He wrote competition pieces that were fiendishly difficult such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ODU_G7O5_g  Robert Simpson was a fan of his.  Derek also was a big fan of John Williams.  He was a great composer.  Others will believe me one day.  His first 7 symphonies were picked up by great conductors such as Sir. Adrian Boult, Vernon Handley, David Wilcocks, Christian Lindberg and others.  But after No. 7, none of his next 109 symphonies were performed for orchestra (in his life time).  I think this is an example of the failure of the system to recognize artistry.  He had a profound talent of writing music that was immediately communicative yet deep and complex without pretense.  He found no longer having orchestras perform his works somewhat liberating.  He was also practical about the fact that they could be performed so they are all performance ready. 

I love Derek's music and will always try to help others experience it.  He was also someone I consider to be a friend and was very generous with me.  When I would send him a new work of mine he would listen to it several times.  First as a mentor and then purely emotionally as a listener.  His feedback was always constructive and supporting.  He feared critics because they were tough on him for being melodic since he started out in the 1960's and 1970's.  His musical skills were so good that he could compose in any style and did.  He wrote atonal right next to old form.  I loved the fact that he had the same office at St. Pauls School for Girls as Gustav Holst.  Since Derek loved astronomy, I suggested that he write a new "Planets" updated for our time and era.  I so much wish I could have convinced him to do that and could have afford the low fee he asked for.   I miss Derek and want others to know what a great composer he was.