One Hit Wonders

Started by Shrunk, May 26, 2007, 02:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: loudav on May 28, 2007, 05:45:24 AM
He [Pachelbel] may not be quite at Buxtehude's level, but he's certainly in the room.

I agree. Pachelbel was not a match for Weckmann, Buxtehude and Bruhns but I wouldn't say he sucked.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

PerfectWagnerite

Elgar: Pomp and Circumcision March #2.

jochanaan

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 28, 2007, 08:13:06 AM
Elgar: Pomp and Circumcision March #2.
Uh, aren't you forgetting the Enigma Variations?  And the Cello Concerto? :)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Kullervo

Quote from: jochanaan on May 28, 2007, 02:05:37 PM

Ah, but those aren't in television commercials!

JoshLilly

And I think you mean the Pomp and Circumstance March #1, don't you? The second (middle) theme? Maybe I'm off on that.
I'd like to point out that I don't think Elgar's Cello Concerto or Enigma Variations are very popular to the world at large, not like the 2nd theme of that march anyway. Not even close. I could play movements from my one and only Elgar CD that contains both the Cello Concerto and the E.V., and I doubt I could find anyone who'd recognise a single moment from any movement, just poking around and trying random people. But I could find almost everyone familiar with that one theme. Man, that's got to be one of the most fantabulous themes ever written by anybody, I'm going to listen to it right now.

Lethevich

I can't believe Holst is being compared to Orff  :-\ :-\

(to remove any ambiguity, Holst is vastly superior)

Quote from: quintett op.57 on May 28, 2007, 04:17:26 AM
Haydn has 0, hasn't he?  :-\

Didn't he compose the German national anthem or something?

Quote from: Kullervo on May 28, 2007, 02:56:23 PM
Ah, but those aren't in television commercials!

Nimrod is... that is abused and demeaned at every opportunity in any media with sound...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: jochanaan on May 28, 2007, 02:05:37 PM

Yeah, but nothing is a HIT like March#2.

Kullervo

Quote from: quintett op.57 on May 28, 2007, 04:17:26 AM
Haydn has 0, hasn't he?  :-\

No I think the theme from the second movement of Symphony No. 94 is pretty popular. It was on the demo for the electronic keyboard I had as a kid.  :D

sound67

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 29, 2007, 03:56:42 AM
Yeah, but nothing is a HIT like March#2.

Elgar's 1st Symphony was played over a hundred times throughout Europe and America within the first year of the premiere. If that doesn't account for a hit, what would?

Plus, the Violin and Cello Concertos, the Enigma Variations and The Dream of Gerontius have all become parts of the standard repertoire. To call Elgar a one hit wonder can only be a joke...

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Haffner

Quote from: Kullervo on May 29, 2007, 04:11:30 AM
No I think the theme from the second movement of Symphony No. 94 is pretty popular. It was on the demo for the electronic keyboard I had as a kid.  :D

Themes from op. 96 (1st movs. after the adagio), 2nd Movement of the "Military", the ouverture from La Fedelta..., op.76 no.3 (2nd move.), several of the Divertimentos, and both Cello Concertos are about as "catchy" as can be. There are others; those are just off the top of my head.

Hector

Holst a one-hit-wonder and me with at least 5CDs full of his music! All 'hits' by the way.

Boito is a good one and, possibly,  Ponchielli but some enterprising opera house should revive Marion Delorme in an international production!

Flotow with Martha.

Litolff with but one movement from one of his Concerto Symphoniques.

I think Leoncavallo had two hits! Mattinata?

This becomes increasingly difficult as record companies record the complete oeuvre of one-time one-hit composers. Take Reznicek as an example.

sound67

Gorecki, Symphony of Sorrowful Songs.
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Kullervo

Quote from: sound67 on May 29, 2007, 04:27:08 AM
Elgar's 1st Symphony was played over a hundred times throughout Europe and America within the first year of the premiere. If that doesn't account for a hit, what would?

Plus, the Violin and Cello Concertos, the Enigma Variations and The Dream of Gerontius have all become parts of the standard repertoire. To call Elgar a one hit wonder can only be a joke...

Thomas

I think this thread is a joke.

Kullervo

Thomas Adés and Osvaldo Golijov are future one-hit wonders.

Hector

Quote from: Kullervo on May 29, 2007, 05:12:33 AM
Thomas Adés and Osvaldo Golijov are future one-hit wonders.

Assuming the latter actually writes one!

Guido

If there is any whiff of a mention of Barber I will punch the offending party.

*punches self due to unavoidable yet necessary mention of Barber by himself"

Quote from: Hector on May 29, 2007, 05:18:27 AM
Assuming the latter actually writes one!

oooh burned!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Wendell_E

Hey, how about Barber?   >:D

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: sound67 on May 29, 2007, 04:27:08 AM

Thomas

Right now if you were to go to symphony orchestra concerts across the states when do you hear an Elgar symphony? Or the Dream of Gerontius? Or even the violon concerto? You might get a performance here and there when a British conductor guest conductors but for the most part conductors avoid Elgar like Tweety avoiding Sylvester the Cat.