Brahms Piano Quintet, Op. 34

Started by bhodges, February 11, 2009, 09:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

No love for the Curzon/Budapest on Naxos Historical?

Josquin des Prez

I like the Rubinstein/Guarnieri in all the Brahms. Alas, i don't think they recorded all of the quintets.

DavidW

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on February 11, 2009, 12:44:51 PM
I like the Rubinstein/Guarnieri in all the Brahms. Alas, i don't think they recorded all of the quintets.

Yup that's where I place my vote too.  And their Schumann is to die for. :)

Dr. Dread

Que

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on February 11, 2009, 12:44:51 PM

Bruce, try to get the piano quartets by them as well.
The trios with Szeryng and Fournier are less desirable, though still very good.

Q

val

My favorites:

Eschenbach with the Amadeus Quartet, very simple and natural, good dynamic in the last movement.

The Janacek Quartet, sublime, with Bernathova. But they would deserve a better pianist.

Aller and the Hollywood Quartet, very coherent but a bit pale in the first and fourth movements.

bhodges

Quote from: Apollo on February 11, 2009, 03:08:44 PM
Here's mine, Bruce!  ;D

Looks like a suitably Apollonian reading.  ;D

Quote from: Que on February 11, 2009, 11:16:25 PM
Bruce, try to get the piano quartets by them as well.
The trios with Szeryng and Fournier are less desirable, though still very good.

Q

Thanks, I may just do that. 

Quote from: val on February 11, 2009, 11:27:22 PM
My favorites:

Eschenbach with the Amadeus Quartet, very simple and natural, good dynamic in the last movement.

The Janacek Quartet, sublime, with Bernathova. But they would deserve a better pianist.

Aller and the Hollywood Quartet, very coherent but a bit pale in the first and fourth movements.

Sounds like I need to hear the Eschenbach, for sure.  Thank you, and everyone else, for these helpful comments. 

--Bruce

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Nobody's mentioned the 2 I have:

Serkin/Budapest Qt. on (originally) Columbia - if Sony ever re-issued it, I missed it

Jando/Kodaly Qt. on Naxos - I bought this mainly to get the attached Schumann 5tet, but wound up listening a lot to the Brahms anyway. A swifter, lighter approach than the Serkin

I don't know how these stack up against others, but they were enough to convince me this is one of the greatest chamber works ever written, which says something in their favor I think.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

The new erato

Quote from: Spitvalve on February 12, 2009, 10:16:42 PM
Nobody's mentioned the 2 I have:

Serkin/Budapest Qt. on (originally) Columbia - if Sony ever re-issued it, I missed it

Quote from: erato on February 11, 2009, 12:34:18 PM
No love for the Curzon/Budapest on Naxos Historical?

This must be the same. What do you think about it, I have only heard it a couple of times but remember it as exciting.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: erato on February 12, 2009, 11:15:22 PM
This must be the same.

Nope, 2 different recordings - one is Serkin, one is Curzon.

The new erato

Quote from: Spitvalve on February 12, 2009, 11:40:13 PM
Nope, 2 different recordings - one is Serkin, one is Curzon.
Stupid of me to oversee that. Sorry. I would love to hear the Serkin.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: erato on February 13, 2009, 12:59:40 AM
I would love to hear the Serkin.

It's a big-boned, symphonic-sounding performance with a lot of atmosphere - brings out the "massiveness" of the score quite well.

Drasko

Any thoughts on Prazak Qtet/Klansky on Praga? It's hybrid SACD, DSD, O.B.E. and whatnot. Lemco from audad seems to like it a lot.

http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=1198

George

Used copies of the one I have (and enjoy) can be had on amazon for $3:

Coopmv

Quote from: George on February 13, 2009, 09:28:28 AM
Used copies of the one I have (and enjoy) can be had on amazon for $3:

The CD artwork reminds me of this picture on my computer ...

Chafing Dish

Quote from: KammerNuss on February 11, 2009, 10:06:32 AM
Bruce,

I have the Amadeus Quartet w/ Eschenbach.  Of course, just like everything else, it is the only recording I have.  0:)
I would like to second this recommendation (if indeed it is intended as one). It comes in a collection with the quintets and sextets in various formations. A very nice overview of Brahms's career, spanning as it does from op. 18 to op. 115

dirkronk

Quote from: dirkronk on February 11, 2009, 11:04:50 AM
Another rendition I love is one by Dezso Ranki and (I think) the Bartok Quartet on a '70s Hungaraton recording--this one exceptionally lively and just raw enough to make you get the idea that musicians were having one hell of a good time playing the piece.

Just popping in to (finally) affirm that my memory was actually working here--it was indeed the Bartok Quartet w/ Ranki--and it was released both as an individual LP performance and as part of a multi-LP (2 box) package of Brahms' chamber works. Quite a nice one. Does anyone know if it was ever released on CD later?

Dirk

Drasko

Quote from: dirkronk on February 16, 2009, 03:38:37 PM
Just popping in to (finally) affirm that my memory was actually working here--it was indeed the Bartok Quartet w/ Ranki--and it was released both as an individual LP performance and as part of a multi-LP (2 box) package of Brahms' chamber works. Quite a nice one. Does anyone know if it was ever released on CD later?

Dirk

dirkronk

Quote from: Drasko on February 17, 2009, 04:11:05 AM

Kewl. Thanks, Drasko. Strange, though...I note that one of your images came from Amazon, yet when I checked Amazon US last night after my post, I couldn't find the rascally little CD. Perhaps my search skills need further refinement.
;D

Dirk

The new erato

I see the Gould/Juillard is on the March prerelease lists. Anybody know that?