Friedrich Gernsheim (1839-1916)

Started by Chafing Dish, February 15, 2009, 04:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

Quote from: Scion7 on August 26, 2014, 03:30:25 AM
Gernsheim's first symphony was published before Brahms' first.
Brahms's first symphony was started around 1854, first shown to his friends around 1862 and mostly finished by 1874, when Gernsheim's first was published and Brahms began revising and correcting his first for performance. (Remember that Gernsheim was a close friend of Brahms's and likely heard drafts of the symphony at the piano before it was formally premiered.)

However it's true that his 1st is relatively less touched by that melody (actually what it reminds me most of is Berwald's Sinfonie sérieuse in the same key), while it remains almost an obsession through the finales of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Scion7

That's one view. 

However, others disagree, for example:

But where Brahms was ponderous and stern with a particular inclination in the directions of melancholy and tragedy, Gernsheim's music displayed an entirely different character, one that was filled with lightness, not to mention Mediterranean inclinations and even fantasy. However, both Brahms and Gernsheim were rooted in the Classical tradition. Where Brahms looked to Beethoven for his inspiration, Gernsheim was influenced by Spohr, Mendelssohn, and Schubert, and to a lesser degree Beethoven.

Lost in the shadow of his great colleague and friend Brahms, Gernsheim is described in a 1928 biography by Karl Holl as "a meistersinger who made the best of his talent in his own particular way." Holl also offered a description of Gernsheim's four symphonies, noting that the first was "impassioned," the second "idyllic," the third "heroic," and the fourth "joyful."

If you're expecting Brahms, then don't buy these discs, for Brahms simply isn't there. On the other hand, if you're looking for a different view of his era, then you will find the inspired playing and impeccable musicianship in this two-disc set just what the doctor ordered. Siegfried Kohler steers his fine orchestra through these uncharted waters with confidence and commitment, and his performances leave no stone unturned and nothing to be desired. This is unquestionably magnificent music with much to say, and it more than occasionally knocks on the door of greatness!

from FANFARE: Michael Carter
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

SonicMan46

Gernsheim TTT!  Last posts from 2014 - quoted below is a post of mine from 2010!  The works in bold are my present holdings and the only new one that I added and put in bold also are the Violin Sonatas (a 2 CD set).  In perusing Amazon, appears that some newer recordings have appeared (now, a number are duplicates already in bold and mentioned previously, such as the Piano Quintets & Symphonies):  Cello Sonatas (CPO), Piano Music (Toccata), Piano Quintets 1 & 2 (CPO), Piano Trios 1 & 2 (Antes), String Quartets V.1 (CPO), Symphonies 1 & 3 (CPO), Symphonies 2 & 4 (CPO) & Violin Concertos (CPO) - below I've added the non-duplicates from this list in italics.

Except for some String Quartets and Quintets, appears that Gernsheim is much better represented that when this thread started - Dave :)

QuoteAlso, I was just curious 'how much' Gernsheim had composed - below obtained from his Wiki article HERE - would be curious about seeing some of his other chamber music recorded - not much more on Amazon USA other than what I now own (i.e. 3+ CDs; works 'in bold') -  :D

* Orchestral works
          o Symphonies
                + Symphony no. 1 in G minor, op. 32, 1875
                + Symphony no. 2 in E♭ major, op. 46, 1882[2]
                + Symphony no. 3 in C minor ('Miriam' or 'Mirjam'), op. 54, 1887
                + Symphony no. 4 in B♭ major, op. 62, 1895[3]

o Piano Concertos
                + Piano Concerto in C minor, op. 16
          o Violin Concertos
                + Violin Concerto no. 1 in D major, op. 42
                + Violin Concerto no. 2 in F, op. 86

+ Fantasy Piece for violin with orchestra, op. 33
          o Cello Concertos
                + Cello Concerto in E minor, op. 78

o Divertimento, op. 53
    * Chamber music
          o String Quartets
                + String Quartet no. 1 in C minor, op. 25

+ String Quartet no. 2 in A minor, op. 31, 1875 (recorded on Audite)
                + String Quartet no. 3 in F major, op. 51, 1886
                + String Quartet no. 4 in E minor, op. 66
                + String Quartet no. 5 in A major, op. 83
          o Piano Quartets
                + Piano Quartet no. 1 in E♭, op. 6
                + Piano Quartet no. 2 in C minor, op. 20
                + Piano Quartet no. 3 in F major, op. 47, 1883
          o Piano Quintets
                + Piano Quintet no. 1 in D minor, op. 35
                + Piano Quintet no. 2 in B minor, op. 63, pub. ca. 1897

o String Quintets
                + String Quintet no. 1 in D major, op. 9
                + String Quintet no. 2 in E♭ major, op. 89
          o Violin sonatas
                + Violin sonata no. 1 in C minor, op. 4, pub. ca. 1864
                + Violin sonata no. 2 in C, op. 50, pub. ca. 1885
                + Violin sonata no. 3 in F, op. 64, pub. ca. 1898
                + Violin sonata no. 4 in G, op. 85

o Piano trios
                + Piano trio no. 1 in F, op. 28
                + Piano trio no. 2 in B, op. 37

+ Two other piano trios, in manuscript
          o Cello sonatas
                + Cello sonata no. 1 in D minor, op. 12
                + Cello sonata no. 2 in E minor, op. 87[8]

o Piano sonata
                + Piano sonata in F minor, op. 1
          o Organ
                + Fantasy and Fugue for Organ, op. 76 [9]
          o Other chamber music
                + Introduction and Allegro appassionato, op. 38 [9]
    * Choral works and orchestral works

SonicMan46

Friedrich TTT! - just left the post below in the listening thread, some new piano additions to my Gernsheim collection - looks like more are 'in the works'?  Dave :)

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 02, 2023, 01:10:59 PMSeveral more recent arrivals:

Gernsheim, Friedrich (1839-1916) - Piano Works, Vs. 1 & 2 w/ Jens Barnieck, apparently more to be released which piqued my interest as to 'how much' he wrote for the piano (on which he was a child prodigy)?  So, checked out his list of works HERE - at the bottom are those w/ Opus numbers which did not include the 3 juvenilia sonatas from his mid-teens but all are on the 2 CDs, along with the others in BOLD - thus there appears to be a LOT left for more recordings.  BTW, Barnieck had to 'reconstruct' these early sonatas from manuscripts.  Dave :)

QuoteAuf der Lagune, Op.71
Auf der Piazetta, Op.68
Capriccio in E minor
Fantasie und Fugue, Op.76 (organ)
Fantasie, Op.27
Fantasie, Op.81
Ins Stammbuch, Op.26
4 Klavierstücke, Op.61
2 Piano Pieces, Op.39
Piano Sonata, Op.1
6 Preludes, Op.2
Romanze, Op.15