I'm officially a Shosty fanatic!!!!!

Started by greg, May 26, 2007, 11:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

I've evolved into one I guess..... his symphonies have really grown on me. Right now i have the 10th blasting from my computer speakers.
oh yeah  8)

AnthonyAthletic

Lemme guess...Karajan?  ;D

Shostakovich's music has got everything needed for my tastes...

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

BachQ

Given your love for Prokofiev, it was only a matter of time ........

greg

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on May 26, 2007, 11:50:34 AM
Lemme guess...Karajan?  ;D

Shostakovich's music has got everything needed for my tastes...
nope, Rozhdestvensky

i have to ask a question. Is it just HIS recording where during some parts it sounds like there are literally thousands of string instruments playing- like one part in the 14th, it sounds like a gazillions violins are doing trills. Not only then, but lots of different times, too.

greg

Quote from: D Minor on May 26, 2007, 11:53:33 AM
Given your love for Prokofiev, it was only a matter of time ........
and I like late Penderecki!  :D
His stuff is like an exact combination of what late Penderecki and Prokofiev would sound like, i just thought of that.

AnthonyAthletic

Soundscapes everywhere for sure!

Check out the 11th and its eerie contrast of quietness, the building of tension and the eruption during the attack scene in the second movement, then the calm which follows the chaos, then back to the unnerving finale, after all that's gone before.

This for me is the most discriptive piece of music ever written, just a personal choice.  The plight of the people in this work is better than any visual could ever offer.   ;)

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

bhodges

I must have a half-dozen recordings of the Tenth (not the one you have), and it is an incredible piece, to be sure.  I especially like von Karajan's nail-biting first recording (from the 1960s), and Dohnányi's with Cleveland (early 1990s), which also has some really magnificent playing. 

Also, if you like the recording, you must hear it in person sometime.  You will go nuts.

--Bruce

greg

Quote from: bhodges on May 26, 2007, 12:10:39 PM

Also, if you like the recording, you must hear it in person sometime.  You will go nuts.

--Bruce
I'll be Kupo for Kupo Nuts!  8)

(if "Mozart" was only a Shostakovich fan, he'd see this and get the joke)

BachQ

Quote from: greg on May 26, 2007, 11:58:01 AM
and I like late Penderecki!  :D
His stuff is like an exact combination of what late Penderecki and Prokofiev would sound like, i just thought of that.

Interesting point ........

greg

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on May 26, 2007, 11:59:25 AM
Soundscapes everywhere for sure!

Check out the 11th and its eerie contrast of quietness, the building of tension and the eruption during the attack scene in the second movement, then the calm which follows the chaos, then back to the unnerving finale, after all that's gone before.

This for me is the most discriptive piece of music ever written, just a personal choice.  The plight of the people in this work is better than any visual could ever offer.   ;)
yep, that's the last one to listen to for me

my library has his piano concertos yeahhhhhhhhh

enjoying his 4th right now. Isn't that part where the strings come in and play those scales in tremolos (that's also where i'm talking about that it sounds like there's a million strings playing in a tunnel) and then builds up so cool?

and my favorite part in any of his symphonies might be that build-up in the 2nd which is similar, it's just purely demonic  >:D

Mark G. Simon

Quote from: greg on May 26, 2007, 11:55:32 AM
nope, Rozhdestvensky

i have to ask a question. Is it just HIS recording where during some parts it sounds like there are literally thousands of string instruments playing- like one part in the 14th, it sounds like a gazillions violins are doing trills. Not only then, but lots of different times, too.

Maybe they're just not together.

uffeviking

Of course none of you Shostakovich lovers would think of going to Dmitri's Dacha thread and add your thoughts there!  ::)

Then maybe I might even finally get an answer to the questions I posted there! - sheeeeeeeeeeeesh!

Or maybe you do not know that Shostakoviches first name is Dmitri?????

mahlertitan

when i was in highschool, i really liked Deshosta, but right now, not so much.

scottscheule

Quote from: greg on May 26, 2007, 12:13:26 PM
I'll be Kupo for Kupo Nuts!  8)

(if "Mozart" was only a Shostakovich fan, he'd see this and get the joke)

Gysahl for gysahl greens!

greg

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on May 26, 2007, 01:19:20 PM
Maybe they're just not together.
that's probably what it is, lol
maybe that's Rozhdestvensky secret technique- tell the string players to play slightly out of unison for a cool effect  8)

QuoteOr maybe you do not know that Shostakoviches first name is Dmitri??
oh, really, well you learn something new every day dontcha  :D

QuoteGysahl for gysahl greens!
Kweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!  ;)

greg

yeah, let's all go back to the Dmitri Dacha

so i'm locking this thread

bye Greg's Shosty thread.....

i won't miss you.........

:'(

i said i wuzn't gunna cwy......

>:D