Author Topic: The Early Music Club (EMC)  (Read 301392 times)

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
Re: Jean Richafort (born in Hainau dies in Brugges)
« Reply #1460 on: April 06, 2020, 12:36:29 AM »
His music for his small output is very interesting, well craft music, for it's respective time.All I'm aware is Ensemble Cenquencento's Requiem of his, fews Motets, perhaps chanson, or other things, please anyone know much more this composer of Kingdom of Burgundy, any other album full length of Richafort?

His Requiem (In memoriam Josquin Desprez) has also been recorded by the Huelgas-Ensemble directed by Paul Van Nevel (harmonia mundi); it is coupled with 6 motets.

Offline deprofundis

• Currently Listening to:
    classical, skronk-jazz, blues, experimental etc
« Reply #1461 on: April 06, 2020, 08:09:13 AM »
His Requiem (In memoriam Josquin Desprez) has also been recorded by the Huelgas-Ensemble directed by Paul Van Nevel (harmonia mundi); it is coupled with 6 motets.

I was not aware of Huelgas Ensemble recording thanks Biffo  for sharing.  8)

Online Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1462 on: April 06, 2020, 08:44:21 AM »
I was not aware of Huelgas Ensemble recording thanks Biffo  for sharing.  8)

Also, volumes I, II, IV & V of the Leiden Choirbooks each contain a short piece by Johannes (Jean) Richafort.

Q

Offline deprofundis

Re: The Early Music Club (EMC)
« Reply #1463 on: April 12, 2020, 05:06:51 PM »
I was really impressed by Jean Richafort, this is why I,m ordering ''Richafort Requiem'' on Signum label by King's  singers, soon...

You folks heard or have it?

Offline deprofundis

Antonius de Civitate 1410-1421
« Reply #1464 on: May 10, 2020, 06:07:41 AM »
Here a new name in ars subtilior  era  not well knowed  I have one album of his work called:

Antonius de Civitate un musicista fiulaano... ensemble Dramsam release in 1997 on some label ?

Any info  on him  or other recordings please folks.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
Re: Antonius de Civitate 1410-1421
« Reply #1465 on: May 10, 2020, 09:31:06 AM »
Here a new name in ars subtilior  era  not well knowed  I have one album of his work called:

Antonius de Civitate un musicista fiulaano... ensemble Dramsam release in 1997 on some label ?

Any info  on him  or other recordings please folks.

Antonio da Cividale or Antonius de Civitate. Very little of his works have survived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_da_Cividale

Presto has some of it:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=%2FAntonio_da_Cividale
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 09:40:40 AM by (: premont :) »
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline deprofundis

Re: Antonius de Civitate 1410-1421
« Reply #1466 on: May 10, 2020, 12:35:10 PM »
Antonio da Cividale or Antonius de Civitate. Very little of his works have survived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_da_Cividale

Presto has some of it:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=%2FAntonio_da_Cividale
Thanks Premont for sharing

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #1467 on: May 22, 2020, 06:55:53 PM »
Double posting from the Purchased Thread...

Been working on a big Early Music haul for the past month or so. There are even a few others I didn't post a pretty picture of, one more Josquin (Clerk's Group), two Ockeghem (Tallis Scholars, Oxford Camerata), and Requiem compilation (Tallis Scholars). I have a few more I'd like to get, as I'm becoming more and more obsessed with this era.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1468 on: May 23, 2020, 07:45:27 AM »
Double posting from the Purchased Thread...

Been working on a big Early Music haul for the past month or so. There are even a few others I didn't post a pretty picture of, one more Josquin (Clerk's Group), two Ockeghem (Tallis Scholars, Oxford Camerata), and Requiem compilation (Tallis Scholars). I have a few more I'd like to get, as I'm becoming more and more obsessed with this era.

I know all of these except the Glossa Gesualdo. There are some very good things there, given that you're open to the style of the performances, the broad approach, there are no failures or major disappointments.

You may find that the Gesualdo stands out from the rest -- a totally different musical tradition from Josquin, Dufay and Ockeghem.

It was very pleasant this afternoon to be reminded of Marc Leones's Josquin intabulations recording.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:28:02 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #1469 on: May 23, 2020, 02:15:07 PM »
I know all of these except the Glossa Gesualdo. There are some very good things there, given that you're open to the style of the performances, the broad approach, there are no failures or major disappointments.

You may find that the Gesualdo stands out from the rest -- a totally different musical tradition from Josquin, Dufay and Ockeghem.

It was very pleasant this afternoon to be reminded of Marc Leones's Josquin intabulations recording.

I've had a fairly good Early Music selection already, and the several Gesualdo discs I did have I do cherish (Concerto Italiano, Les Arts Florissants, Hilliard Ensemble), but I'm anxious for these new additions . I had originally only obtained one recording of many works, but the past year I've realized that, similar to most classical pieces, there is much more to discover from these multiple performances. And I also find myself gravitating more towards the performances with one-voice-per-part.

Here are few more that I've ordered this year including Gesulado's music.