David Lloyd-Jones has passed away (1934 – 2022)

Started by Symphonic Addict, June 11, 2022, 04:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Recently I found out this remarkable conductor had died. His Naxos recordings have been greatly admired by many.

May he rest in peace.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Lisztianwagner

I'm very sorry to read that, I remember him very well for his marvelous recordings of Holst's works.
May he rest in peace.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Truly a shame, especially for British music. He was such an ardent champion of Bax, Alwyn et. al. May he rest in peace.

vandermolen

Very sad news- although he was older that I thought. A great loss to British music but he leaves a fine legacy of recorded music.
I remember buying his fine Holst CD at the Holst Birthplace Museum in Cheltenham many years ago. He also recorded Milford's moving 'The Darkling Thrush' for Dutton. I have many recordings by him, including music by VW, Bax, Alwyn, Malcolm Arnold, Bliss, Moeran etcetc.

https://www.operanorth.co.uk/news/david-lloyd-jones-1934-2022/
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

I have at least two of his Naxos releases: Elgar's Falstaff/Elegy/Sanguine Fan and Alwyn's Symphonies 2 & 5.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Maestro267

Excellent conductor and champion of British music. RIP

DavidW

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on June 12, 2022, 01:41:47 AM
I have at least two of his Naxos releases: Elgar's Falstaff/Elegy/Sanguine Fan and Alwyn's Symphonies 2 & 5.
That Alwyn CD is very good. It was the first (I think) in his cycle and also included the eloquent Lyra Angelica:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Very sad news - at least he lived a long and fruitful life. The yeoman's work he did for British symphonic music - along with Richard Hickox, Vernon Handley, and others - is nothing but admirable. Rest In Peace, Mr. Lloyd-Jones.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

MusicTurner

Quote from: vandermolen on June 12, 2022, 01:02:42 AM
Very sad news- although he was older that I thought. A great loss to British music but he leaves a fine legacy of recorded music.
(...)

+1.

Some of those 'budget-label' Naxos recordings were indeed surprisingly sumptuous, such as his A Colour Symphony.

Roasted Swan

All the praise above is 100% true and well-earned re British music (I particularly like his Naxos/Bliss discs) BUT in wider terms his greatest enduring legacy must be the founding of Opera North in the UK which remains to this day a fantastic organisation and before that his promotion of the operas of Mussorgsky et al - in his own way (but not with a recorded legacy sadly) every bit as important as what Mackerras did for Janacek.

Mirror Image

It's sad to see that Presto Classical didn't even mention Lloyd-Jones' passing. ??? A champion of British and Russian music forgotten already? :-\

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 12, 2022, 09:08:43 AM
+1.

Some of those 'budget-label' Naxos recordings were indeed surprisingly sumptuous, such as his A Colour Symphony.

The A Colour Symphony/Adam Zero CD features in the book '1001 Classical Recordings you must hear before you Die'.

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on June 15, 2022, 01:32:19 PM
The A Colour Symphony/Adam Zero CD features in the book '1001 Classical Recordings you must hear before you Die'.

One of this Dave's Faves.  I have other fine recordings of the Colour Symphony (e.g. Handley, Groves), but this is still my favorite.

DavidW

Quote from: vandermolen on June 12, 2022, 06:18:21 AM
That Alwyn CD is very good. It was the first (I think) in his cycle and also included the eloquent Lyra Angelica:

btw thanks for the recommendation, it is a great recording.

vandermolen

This is a terrific recording.

KlassiskDronning

Another terrible loss for music. Sorry to hear that. He will be remembered by us along with the greatest legends. RIP.💔🖤🌟