Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 26, 2010, 06:10:02 AM
By chance we say en anglais : )

And yet, it may have been an hazard. :)

No, in fact I have known that webmaster for years on another site of mutual interest and he has been very dedicated in his pursuit of Vranicky. Who, BTW, is a greatly underestimated composer as well as a musician of some renown. I stand prepared to discuss him in the event someone should bring him up... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Ensemble Sans Souci - Benda, Franz Sonata in A for Violin Solo 1st mvmt - Arioso
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 26, 2010, 06:15:51 AM
And yet, it may have been an hazard. :)

Bien sûr!

Happy Black Friday, Gurn!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 26, 2010, 06:19:02 AM
Bien sûr!

Happy Black Friday, Gurn!

And to you, Dr. Karl. We are having a touch of Boston weather here today, so it is my pleasure to sit in and listen to music. Haven't had a day of this quality on quite some time. Hope yours is passing well also. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Ensemble Sans Souci - Benda, Franz Sonata in A for Violin Solo 3rd mvmt - Presto e scherzando

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

A fine day for music listening!  I am still glowing after my unprecedented all-six-Nielsen-symphonies-in-12-hours stunt yesterday.  Quiet morning in the office, and then, I am on the cash-intake side of Black Friday at the MFA shop.  Believe it or not, this is my favorite way of spending the day.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 26, 2010, 06:26:39 AM
A fine day for music listening!  I am still glowing after my unprecedented all-six-Nielsen-symphonies-in-12-hours stunt yesterday.  Quiet morning in the office, and then, I am on the cash-intake side of Black Friday at the MFA shop.  Believe it or not, this is my favorite way of spending the day.

One of my rare days away from work, and it's too nasty to put me to work outside, so my wife has granted major concessions (for which I will undoubtedly pay over weekend). Listening for the first time to a bit of Schubert's church music. Perhaps this is an area where he departs from tradition a bit. Sounds totally not Classical... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment \ Bruno Weil - D 678 Mass in Ab pt 1 - Kyrie

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 26, 2010, 06:31:30 AM
Listening for the first time to a bit of Schubert's church music. Perhaps this is an area where he departs from tradition a bit. Sounds totally not Classical... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment \ Bruno Weil - D 678 Mass in Ab pt 1 - Kyrie

Thanks. That reminds me that I have yet to listen to a D. 950 I downloaded a long time ago. (Weil, but with M. Inst.) :) Never listened to Schubert's choral works before.
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on November 26, 2010, 06:51:46 AM
Thanks. That reminds me that I have yet to listen to a D. 950 I downloaded a long time ago. (Weil, but with M. Inst.) :) Never listened to Schubert's choral works before.

Well, I understand that from a strict interpretationist perspective that downloads are not really music, so I advise you to avoid drawing any conclusions about Schubert from that...    :D

Curious to her your reaction.  0:)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Matthias Goerne (Baritone) \ Alfred Brendel (Piano) - D 957 Liederkreis for Baritone 'Schwanengesang' #02   'Kriegers Ahnung'

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 26, 2010, 06:57:06 AM
Well, I understand that from a strict interpretationist perspective that downloads are not really music, so I advise you to avoid drawing any conclusions about Schubert from that...    :D

:D
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Quote from: Opus106 on November 26, 2010, 06:51:46 AM

If that download was a midi then... ;D

MI mode: what you haven't heard these works!?  You scum of the Earth go hide under the bridge you came from!!! >:(

Joking. ;D  I've heard a couple of masses and they are very good. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on November 26, 2010, 06:59:27 AM
:D

Don't you just love continuity?  0:)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Matthias Goerne (Baritone) \ Alfred Brendel (Piano) - D 957 Liederkreis for Baritone 'Schwanengesang' #04   'Ständchen'

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on November 26, 2010, 07:00:58 AM
If that download was a midi then... ;D

???

QuoteMI mode: what you haven't heard these works!?  You scum of the Earth go hide under the bridge you came from!!! >:(

Yes, sir.

I've heard a couple of masses and they are very good. :)

Duh... they're Schubert! Now, join me under the bridge for stating such obvious facts. >:(
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

I suppose that bridge will get crowded if I introduce Vranicky/Wrantizky now, eh?

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Matthias Goerne (Baritone) \ Alfred Brendel (Piano) - D 957 Liederkreis for Baritone 'Schwanengesang' #06   'In der Ferne'

SonicMan46

Quote from: assadourian on November 26, 2010, 12:42:16 AM
There is a website entirely dedicated to Pavel Vranicky , i have found it by hazard...
http://www.wranitzky.com/index.html

As w/ Gurn, I've also visited that site; of course his name is spelled in different ways - I have the 2 discs below and he's listed in my database as Paul Wranitzky - a 'notorious' former GMGer started a decent bio of Wranitzky HERE but w/ no responses - is it worth resurrecting?

DavidW

Quote from: Opus106 on November 26, 2010, 07:12:24 AM
Duh... they're Schubert! Now, join me under the bridge for stating such obvious facts. >:(

jeje we'll all live under the bridge! ;D  Well until MI comes along, he's very possessive... :(

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on November 26, 2010, 07:16:21 AM
As w/ Gurn, I've also visited that site; of course his name is spelled in different ways - I have the 2 discs below and he's listed in my database as Paul Wranitzky - a 'notorious' former GMGer started a decent bio of Wranitzky HERE but w/ no responses - is it worth resurrecting?

That sextets disk looks interesting, Dave. I can add this, for those who might prefer a different coupling with the Grand Characteristic Symphony:

I have some good bio information, I'll post it in a little while. I suppose I need to see first what was posted by He Who Must Not be Named... ::)  :)

8)

PS - Anyone who really wants to hear a great baritone version of 'Schwanengesang' needs to give this Goerne (pronounced Gurn  0:) ) / Brendel version...
----------------
Now playing:
Matthias Goerne (Baritone) \ Alfred Brendel (Piano) - D 957 Liederkreis for Baritone 'Schwanengesang' #07   'Abschied'

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 26, 2010, 07:26:26 AM
That sextets disk looks interesting, Dave. I can add this, for those who might prefer a different coupling with the Grand Characteristic Symphony:

----------------
Now playing:
Matthias Goerne (Baritone) \ Alfred Brendel (Piano) - D 957 Liederkreis for Baritone 'Schwanengesang' #07   'Abschied'
Well, I can attest to this one...though the CPO cover is the nicest...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ukrneal on November 26, 2010, 07:33:21 AM
Well, I can attest to this one...though the CPO cover is the nicest...

:D  It IS rather dramatic, i'n't?

What's on that disk, Ukrneal? Those same symphonies? :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Matthias Goerne (Baritone) \ Alfred Brendel (Piano) -
D 957 Liederkreis for Baritone 'Schwanengesang' #12   'Am Meer'

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 26, 2010, 07:36:49 AM
:D  It IS rather dramatic, i'n't?

What's on that disk, Ukrneal? Those same symphonies? :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Matthias Goerne (Baritone) \ Alfred Brendel (Piano) -
D 957 Liederkreis for Baritone 'Schwanengesang' #12   'Am Meer'
I'd have to go back to the vranicky site -it tells you there. I don't remember. I'm pretty sure there was at least one symphony overlap among the three discs. I went for the Supraphon as it had the most and because someone recommended it. I'd check myself, but I am also cooking.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ukrneal on November 26, 2010, 08:05:36 AM
I'd have to go back to the vranicky site -it tells you there. I don't remember. I'm pretty sure there was at least one symphony overlap among the three discs. I went for the Supraphon as it had the most and because someone recommended it. I'd check myself, but I am also cooking.

Oh, by all means, cook on! I'll find it. :)

I have the Chandos too, the Op 31 Grand Symphony shows up on both. Otherwise, the Chandos has that nice little c minor Op 11 and the D major Op 36, while the CPO has the D major Op 52. I'll check out the Supraphon...

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Anton Steck (Violin) \ Christian Rieger (Cembalo) - Benda F Sonata in F for Violin & Cembalo 2nd mvmt - Adagio

SonicMan46

Gurn - listened to the Wranisky brothers 'Wind Sextets' this afternoon (4 on the disc w/ 3 by Paul) - I believe that you would be pleased!  :D

Also researched that Symphony offering by Supraphon - 2 discs w/ 4 works (2 are duplicated on my Bamert disc), so may consider adding that to my 'wish list'!  The listing of his works on the Wranisky Site HERE is amazingly large!  I forgot how much he wrote when I acquire those 2 discs - may be his thread by our dubious former GMGer should be revitalized? Attached is a screen capture of the 2-disc set mentioned - Dave  :)