The Music Room > General Classical Music Discussion

Gurn's Classical Corner

<< < (2/682) > >>

Opus106:
Nice timing, Gurn. :) Right now, I'm reading this, so this thread and the book should complement each other. The chapters of the book are rather short, but I, a neophyte listener, find the text neither dry nor complex. I'm sure it'll be valuable to beginners.

I think it was M Forever who recommended The Classical Style*; but if I remember the reviews correctly, it probably would not be useful to me right now.

*Obviously, you posted while I was still typing. But to make my point clear, it was due to M that I came across this book. :)

ChamberNut:
One book that I found rather dry was Mozart, A Life by Maynard Solomon.  Took me a long time to get through that one.

Opus106:

--- Quote from: KammerNuss on February 22, 2009, 09:48:49 AM ---What to Listen For in Mozart

--- End quote ---

Ha! That title reminds of the popular science books which go like A Brief History of <insert favourite "sexy physics topic">. ;D

Gurn Blanston:

--- Quote from: KammerNuss on February 22, 2009, 09:48:49 AM ---Hi Gurn, nice idea for a thread!  :)

I was given this book for my birthday last summer, and I think it's a pretty good book for relative newcomers to classical era music (but specifically on Mozart).

What to Listen For in Mozart - by Robert Harris

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Ray. Hope you will feel free to contribute. And I have been looking at that book for a while too. Please let us know what you learned from it. There is so much to listen for in Mozart! :)

8)

Gurn Blanston:

--- Quote from: opus67 on February 22, 2009, 09:50:04 AM ---Nice timing, Gurn. :) Right now, I'm reading this, so this thread and the book should complement each other. The chapters of the book are rather short, but I, a neophyte listener, find the text neither dry nor complex. I'm sure it'll be valuable to beginners.

I think it was M Forever who recommended The Classical Style; but if I remember the reviews correctly, it probably would not be useful to me right now.

--- End quote ---

That looks like a most useful book. And I see that it is tied in with a website so you can listen to the music you are reading about. That can be a big help when you are exploring. :)

Yes, M was a musician, and I am very sure that all those musical examples made perfect sense to him. But for those of us who limp along with a score trying to get an overview, or don't even use one at all, the bulk of it would make no sense. Which doesn't detract from the book at all for those who CAN use it. :)

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version