Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel

Quote from: jhar26 on March 08, 2009, 10:49:18 AM
An opera recording I like is Jordi Savall's recording of "Una Cosa Rara" from Vicent Martin i Soler which was a very popular work at the time. Now it's best known because Mozart quotes one of it's tunes in the banquet scene at the end of Don Giovanni. But it's a lovely work in my opinion - well worth hearing.

I have that recording, but I haven't listened to it for a long time. I also have La Capricciosa Corretta (Naïve recording) by Martín y Soler. My general impression about them was that there was great music, but there was not enough "breath" to make it last for a long time, so I felt that it was too short. In general, complaining about a work for being "too short" should be almost a compliment. In this case, it is not. But perhaps if I listened it now, after some years, I could change my opinion. As I don't have the CD here in Paris, my curiosity will have to wait for a while. (But they are -undoubtedly- enjoyable works worth exploring).

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gabriel on March 07, 2009, 02:37:47 PM
I will collaborate with the series, Gurn, if you're not against. ;) I will remark personal favourites that, in my opinion, should be useful as "first introduction" to the composer.

A recommended list of works: Krommer/Kramář (1759-1831)

• Oboe concerto in F major, op. 37
  • Symphony in D major, op. 40
  • Bassoon quartets in B flat major and E flat major, op. 46
  • Oboe concerto in F major, op. 52
  • Partita for winds in F major, op. 57
  • Partita for winds in E flat major, op. 71
  • Harmonie for winds in C major, op. 76
  • Clarinet concerto in E minor, op. 86
  • Concerto for two clarinets in E flat major, op. 91
  • Flute quartet in D major, op. 93
  • Clarinet quintet in B flat major, op. 95
  • String trio in F major, op. 96
  • Flute quintet in G major, op. 101
  • Symphony in C minor, op. 102

Gabriel - I think that Gurn & I have found yet another 'soul mate' in this period of music!  ;D

I have most of the works listed above - love the wind chamber works the best! Do not own any of the Symphonies - most of the CDs that I own are on the CPO and Naxos labels - will add the bassoon works & symphonies to my 'wish list' - Dave  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on March 08, 2009, 03:11:08 PM
Gabriel - I think that Gurn & I have found yet another 'soul mate' in this period of music!  ;D

I have most of the works listed above - love the wind chamber works the best! Do not own any of the Symphonies - most of the CDs that I own are on the CPO and Naxos labels - will add the bassoon works & symphonies to my 'wish list' - Dave  :D

Dave, this is the symphony disk that I have. As with all the disks in htis series, this is well-played with good SQ, and the works themselves are quite nice. You'll not be disappointed. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

jhar26

Quote from: Gabriel on March 08, 2009, 02:48:04 PM
I have that recording, but I haven't listened to it for a long time. I also have La Capricciosa Corretta (Naïve recording) by Martín y Soler. My general impression about them was that there was great music, but there was not enough "breath" to make it last for a long time, so I felt that it was too short. In general, complaining about a work for being "too short" should be almost a compliment. In this case, it is not. But perhaps if I listened it now, after some years, I could change my opinion. As I don't have the CD here in Paris, my curiosity will have to wait for a while. (But they are -undoubtedly- enjoyable works worth exploring).
Is there a libretto (with English translation) included with that La Capricciosa Corretta recording?
Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips.

Que

Quote from: jhar26 on March 08, 2009, 04:26:28 PM
Is there a libretto (with English translation) included with that La Capricciosa Corretta recording?

Absolutely.

Q

jhar26

Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips.

Gabriel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 08, 2009, 04:05:09 PM
Dave, this is the symphony disk that I have. As with all the disks in htis series, this is well-played with good SQ, and the works themselves are quite nice. You'll not be disappointed. :)

To my knowledge, there is just one other Krommer symphony recorded: op. 12, in F major. The recording is Czech (Studio Matous): http://www.matous.cz/detail.php?id=NESL%20003. It is a lighter work, but I'm sure any lover of Krommer's music will enjoy it from the beginning to the end. (So, Dave, think about it! ;))

Quote from: SonicMan on March 08, 2009, 03:11:08 PM

Well, you see! "The Classical Association"! ;D

Maciek

I've established with Gurn that this thread is sorely lacking in the Polish composers department :o so I'll mention some of the recordings I'm aware of. It seems there are about 20 composers worth mentioning, though I have to admit I know very little about many of them so don't expect detailed descriptions of their music.

Jan Tomasz Żebrowski (18th c.)
Jan Engel (?-1778)
Marcin Józef Żebrowski (1710-1780)
Maciej Kamieński (1734-1821)
Bazyli Bohdanowicz (1740-1817)
Józef Zajdler (1744-1806)
Jan Dawid Holland (1746-1827)
Jan Stefani (1746-1829)
Antoni Milwid (1755-1837)
Jan Wański (1756-1830)
Wojciech Dankowski (1760-1836)
Feliks Janiewicz (1762-1848)
Michał Ogiński (1765-1833)
Józef Elsner (1769-1854)
Antoni Radziwiłł (1775-1833)
Franciszek Lessel (1780-1838)
Karol Kurpiński (1785-1857)
Maria Szymanowska (1789-1831)
Karol Lipiński (1790-1861)
Ignacy Dobrzyński (1807-1867)

Another name worth mentioning, though the composer is not Polish, is Amando Ivančić (1727-1762?1790?). Sometimes he's also referred to as
Amandus or Amand Ivanschiz or Ivantschiz or Ivantsitz or Ivancsics or Ivanschutz or Ivancic or Ivansic. Phew! He was born in Croatia. He was an extremely prolific composer, wrote masses, litanies, motets, oratorios, symphonies, divertimenti, sonatas, trios, arias etc. and was extremely popular in the 18th century in areas of Central Europe which today belong to Slovakia, Hungary, Poland, Germany and Austria. He was most active in the years 1755-1770 (assuming that he was still alive after 1762 ::)). His choral writing contains more baroque elements than his instrumental pieces, which are definitely early classical (for instance, he uses the viola in his trio sonatas; also, he's considered one of the main founders of the early classical symphony).

Later I'll post more about the recordings of music by him and the other composers just mentioned. At the moment I have to run. ;D

Anyone else know any of this music?

Lethevich

Which other early classical period symphonists are on the same (IMO very high) level of inspiration as William Boyce? I am only familiar with CPE Bach, who I enjoy, but find a little less engaging.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Gabriel

Quote from: Maciek on March 09, 2009, 04:42:33 AM
Anyone else know any of this music?

I know some music from three of the composers listed: Kurpiński, Elsner and Lessel. In my very limited knowledge of Polish music from the classicism, I can recommend two works. First, Karol Kurpiński's overture to Zamek na Czorsztynie: it is a winner. Not a "great" work, but it is very beautifully scored and has some unforgettable ideas (I have two recordings of it: Spering and Borowicz). The other one is Franciszek Lessel's piano concerto in C major op. 14, a lyrical, delicate yet consistent work; in its simplicity, it has a Fieldian flavour, particularly in the undescribably beautiful Adagio. This movement alone would justify the purchase.

Fortunately for interested GMGers, the Borowicz recording I wrote about includes both recommended works from Lessel and Kurpiński. It brings also a couple more works, all highly enjoyable. Both works could be better recorded, but it is a competent recording nonetheless. (In fact, Kurpiński's overture by Spering is a better recording; he makes even the first chord meaningful, but you have to listen to it to understand what I mean. It is included in an Opus 111 CD called Chopin: the 1830 Warsaw concert).

SonicMan46

Georg Benda (1722-1795) - Keyboard Sonatas w/ Sylvia Georgieva on harpsichord - just received this 4-CD set of 17 keyboard sonatas (he wrote around 50 or so) composed from 1757 and onward - a Que recommendation!

Benda was part of a 'family' of musicians/composers of the same last name; his 'given' name is on the cover of the set shown below; short biography of him on the Naxos Site HERE; quoted immediately below is the last part of his bio summarizing his list of compositions; much needs to be rediscovered, re-published, and recorded - I have just one other disc, Symphonies on the Naxos label.

His keyboard works as evident by these recordings almost have a 'Janus' way about them, i.e. looking back to the late Baroque/Galant styles (and played on the harpsichord), but also anticipating the later part of the 18th century, kind of like CPE Bach into Mozart in style.  Recently, I've acquired a lot of harpsichord music but have been careful in listening to the opinions of others here - not always my favorite instrument, but Georgieva plays these works on two different instruments just beautifully; the recorded sound is phenomenal (and much of the 'extra little noises' often heard on these older keyboard instruments is totally absent) - quite nice!  :D

QuoteHis compositions include some half dozen other stage works, Singspiel, melodramas and a children's operetta, a quantity of church music and vocal compositions, keyboard sonatas and sonatinas and some thirty symphonies, ten harpsichord concertos and eleven violin concertos.

Harry

As soon as the four cd box of Benda is available again in my country for the low price Que paid, I will buy it.

Valentino

Lovely thread. A big THANK YOU to Gurn and all other contributors.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: SonicMan on March 10, 2009, 07:07:14 AM
Georg Benda (1722-1795) - Keyboard Sonatas w/ Sylvia Georgieva on harpsichord - just received this 4-CD set of 17 keyboard sonatas (he wrote around 50 or so) composed from 1757 and onward - a Que recommendation!

Benda was part of a 'family' of musicians/composers of the same last name; his 'given' name is on the cover of the set shown below; short biography of him on the Naxos Site HERE; quoted immediately below is the last part of his bio summarizing his list of compositions; much needs to be rediscovered, re-published, and recorded - I have just one other disc, Symphonies on the Naxos label.

His keyboard works as evident by these recordings almost have a 'Janus' way about them, i.e. looking back to the late Baroque/Galant styles (and played on the harpsichord), but also anticipating the later part of the 18th century, kind of like CPE Bach into Mozart in style.  Recently, I've acquired a lot of harpsichord music but have been careful in listening to the opinions of others here - not always my favorite instrument, but Georgieva plays these works on two different instruments just beautifully; the recorded sound is phenomenal (and much of the 'extra little noises' often heard on these older keyboard instruments is totally absent) - quite nice!  :D

Those recordings by Georgieva are really beautiful, Dave.

It's possible to hear a brief example on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knvj_pNsRpY

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Valentino on March 10, 2009, 08:48:12 AM
Lovely thread. A big THANK YOU to Gurn and all other contributors.

Thanks. Hope you feel inspired to join us and let us know what you think of this period in music. :)

Quote from: SonicMan on March 10, 2009, 07:07:14 AM

Thanks much for this info, Dave. I've been looking for some Benda solo keyboard works for a couple of years now, and only have a few sonatinas (Op 5, IIRC, and lovely little things). Of course, I've been picky about the instrument, but then, a harpsichord is probably more authentic anyway. FYI, the Benda Family Musicians are still active today, with an unbroken family musical tradition stretching back over 250 years. Frankly, I'm impressed by that. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Que

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on March 10, 2009, 09:54:10 AM

It's possible to hear a brief example on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knvj_pNsRpY

Great find! :) And glad you like it, Dave - this set really got me into the "Classicals"! :)

I believe we can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/v/knvj_pNsRpY

Q

SonicMan46

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on March 10, 2009, 09:54:10 AM

Antoine - agree completely! - for those who may be interested in this 4-CD set, the other day I found the box being offered by BRO HERE for $24 + their usualy S/H - a steal for those in the USA; my set was from Amazon UK and cost a little more, but my order had already been placed -   :D

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 10, 2009, 10:41:00 AM

Thanks much for this info, Dave. I've been looking for some Benda solo keyboard works for a couple of years now, and only have a few sonatinas (Op 5, IIRC, and lovely little things). Of course, I've been picky about the instrument, but then, a harpsichord is probably more authentic anyway. FYI, the Benda Family Musicians are still active today, with an unbroken family musical tradition stretching back over 250 years. Frankly, I'm impressed by that. :)

Gurn - I had read that a while back; amazing how some of these families (Bach clan another example in JS's day & before) produced these clusters of musicians and composers!

Actually, I was wrong about the number of Benda discs owned - did some re-arranging the other day and misplaced a few; two others shown below of keyboard works (solo & concertos) - will need to look at the solo CD to see which sonatas might overlap? Sorry -  :-[ :)

Valentino

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 10, 2009, 10:41:00 AMHope you feel inspired to join us and let us know what you think of this period in music. :)
Well, it was my first concious musical experience: "-Dad, what's that?!" It was mono, LvB 7, 3rd mvt, real loud. I was six.

I must admit that I haven't  aquired very much outside the three greats. Some Boccerini quintets, a CPE Bach disk (he's in, right?), some cello pieces for the King of Prussia (they should fit). Classical is still my favourite period, even if I've gradually expanded from there.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Valentino on March 10, 2009, 12:54:51 PM
I must admit that I haven't  aquired very much outside the three greats

Dittersdorf, Elgar and Glazunov?

Sorin Eushayson

Quote from: Valentino on March 10, 2009, 12:54:51 PM
a CPE Bach disk (he's in, right?)

I think so!  I recently purchased a disc of some of his cello concerti & symphonies as performed by Anner Bylsma and the OAE and absolutely adore it.

I think J.C. is also worth checking out...

Interestingly, I think you can hear their father's influence!  :)

While we're on this topic, I'd like to get people's impressions of Spanish composer Juan Arriaga.  Here's what I have of him...

Does this composer have the thumbs-up from the Great Gurn?  ;)