Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorin Eushayson

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 27, 2009, 03:45:34 PM
Well, they're pretty good. I can't stand things stuck in my ears, so I needed phones, but portable. So I got some Sennheiser PX200 over the ear folding phones. And I notice the price is half what I paid a year ago... >:(  Anyway, they have very nice sound, and fold up small for portability. Sweet! :)

Looked those up at Amazon.  Seems like a good deal!  I like the design as well.  I've not heard anything bad about Sennheiser, they seem a very good brand; the earpieces from them that I have hold up well.

Gabriel

Quote from: SonicMan on April 27, 2009, 06:27:10 PM
This will likely be the HIGHLIGHT of my 'short medical' trip to Boston; first visit to this historic Symphony Hall, Haydn (one of my favorite composers, if not @ the top?), a period instrument 'small' orchestra (the 'winds' just zoomed out the the ensemble brightly & clearly), and Sir Roger Norrington - could not ask for a better surprise!  Dave  :)

Dave, it seems a splendid concert indeed. How was the performance of the Scena di Berenice?

Valentino

About Sennheisers. I have the PX100 for portable duties. It's very similar to the PX200, but it's open, and I do think it's bass reproduction is more correct than the PX200 which seems a bit on the boosted side to me.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gabriel on April 29, 2009, 01:57:39 AM
Dave, it seems a splendid concert indeed. How was the performance of the Scena di Berenice?

Hello Gabriel - just returned home from Boston - could have spent a few more days, and would have loved to have met Karl, if we had had more time; he likely knows more about the soprano in this performance since she has appeared a number of times w/ Roger Norrington there -  :)

Nathalie Paulin, soprano from Canada - her Website HERE - now keep in mind that I'm not really an 'opera guy' and had not heard of this singer before nor the piece performed, so my opinion is likely not worth 'two bits' -  ;D

But, she did sing beautifully, projected herself quite well into the auditorium, had a pleasant & lyric voice (even when hitting the highest notes which she did not seem to miss 'to my ears'); the program notes allowed one to 'follow along w/ ease'; she had an 'affectionate & infectious' kind of relationship w/ Norrington, so the two of them obviously were quite comfortable together and the 'period instrument orchestra' was a good match.  My 'better half', Susan, who is also a soprano and sang in college classical groups while at Brown University & University of Chicago (plus, a lot of singing since) was quite impressed w/ this gal.

Now, for the English songs, she sang just w/ the fortepiano performer, another delightful combination; her voice, as expected, was quite operatic in these songs - I would imagine that Dawn Upshaw, who seems to do this 'crossover' singing well (to my hearing) likely would have been my preference, but I really enjoy Dawn in all types of repertoire.

Not sure if any of this helps, but Paulin was quite impressive and the audience was pleased!  Dave  :D

P.S. Below a pic of 'how' Norrington looked during the performance; kind of an 'oriental' black garment!  :)

Gabriel

Thanks, Dave. I do not know Nathalie Paulin at all, but I trust Norrington's choices. On the other hand, it is not usual to have Haydn songs sung in a concert. A great concert for the Haydn year 2009! ;)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gabriel on April 29, 2009, 01:57:24 PM
Thanks, Dave. I do not know Nathalie Paulin at all, but I trust Norrington's choices. On the other hand, it is not usual to have Haydn songs sung in a concert. A great concert for the Haydn year 2009! ;)

Yep, kind of a 'double celebration' for the Handel & Haydn Society - 200 yrs since Haydn's death, but also 150 yrs for Handel's demise - guess those 'combos' don't come up very often! Dave  :D

Sorin Eushayson

Quote from: SonicMan on April 29, 2009, 01:42:55 PM
P.S. Below a pic of 'how' Norrington looked during the performance; kind of an 'oriental' black garment!  :)

Just call him, "Sensei Norrington!"

karlhenning

Quote from: SonicMan on April 29, 2009, 01:42:55 PM
Hello Gabriel - just returned home from Boston - could have spent a few more days, and would have loved to have met Karl, if we had had more time . . . .

Oh, we certainly ought to have got together, Dave!

Quote from: SonicManP.S. Below a pic of 'how' Norrington looked during the performance; kind of an 'oriental' black garment!

Go on! That's a still from Karate Kid III!  8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 30, 2009, 03:30:42 AM
Oh, we certainly ought to have got together, Dave!

Karl - Susan & I would like to return to Boston soon!  So, will certainly keep a meeting in mind -  :D

QuoteGo on! That's a still from Karate Kid III!  8)

Well, Sir Roger did have a lot of 'body gestures' while conducting (used only his hands; no baton) but I can't recall any karate motions!  ;) ;D

I was curious about his age and just checked - turned 75 y/o last month!  Hard to believe -  :)

SonicMan46

Krommer, Franz (1759-1831) - String Quartets w/ the Marcolini Quartett on period instruments (violins, c. 1750 & c. 1813; viola, after Bergonzi, Cremona, 1739; cello, after Stradavari, 1721).

Franz K. has already been discussed numerous times in this thread, but I just received the disc below, and now listening for a second time.  The works were written between 1800-1820, but really are in a 'transitional style' between Haydn & Beethoven.  These works are really worth exploring, well composed and performed.  In fact, Krommer's string pieces may have been more popular than the 'early' ones of Beethoven - at least if the anecdote (from the opening liner notes) in quotes below can be believed:

Quote...concerning an encounter between Ludwig van Beethoven and Franz Krommer....both composers were present at a concert in Count Lichnowsky's palace in Vienna where string quartets by each of them were played.  In the middle of the performance, Beethoven began to lambaste Krommer's successful works, and his conduct was so unbecoming that the count found it necessary to reprimand him.

Gabriel

I haven't bought this CD yet, Dave, but I have it in my cart. I guess I will order soon and make further comments once I receive it, as I anticipated some time ago.

SonicMan46

Clementi, Muzio (1752-1832) - Piano Sonatas, Vol. 3 w/ Howard Shelley - Clementi has been already discussed in this thread earlier; this is the newest release of Shelley's perusal of these piano sonatas, not sure how many more will be released; Hyperion is packaging these as 2-CDs in a 'single' thin jewel box at a bargain price; as w/ the other two volumes, these continue in the same superb performances - now I've also been buying fortepiano interpretations of these works w/  Costantino Mastroprimiano on the Brilliant label - have 6 discs each from the different performers - love them both!   ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on May 02, 2009, 04:05:47 PM
Clementi, Muzio (1752-1832) - Piano Sonatas, Vol. 3 w/ Howard Shelley - Clementi has been already discussed in this thread earlier; this is the newest release of Shelley's perusal of these piano sonatas, not sure how many more will be released; Hyperion is packaging these as 2-CDs in a 'single' thin jewel box at a bargain price; as w/ the other two volumes, these continue in the same superb performances - now I've also been buying fortepiano interpretations of these works w/  Costantino Mastroprimiano on the Brilliant label - have 6 discs each from the different performers - love them both!   ;D

Yes, you've already tempted me with the Shelley... :D   I'm still working on the Mastroprimiano right now, have the first 2 boxes. Out of curiosity, do they replicate the same works pretty much? Or did Shelley start at the end and work his way backwards?  Despite having a dozen or more Clementi disks, there are still quite a few sonatas that I don't have at all, and others that I have 3 or more times. BTW, do you (or does anyone) have a disk of his etudes (that's what they are, although not called anything in particular) Gradus ad Parnassum(Op 44)? I have a disk of the first 6 suites played by Danielle Laval, and they are really quite interesting. Of course, after his death, his piano method lived on, and these are at the heart of it. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Consortium Classicum - Boccherini - Quartet for clarinet, flute, horn & bassoon in B major, G. 263/3 (arranged by Othon Van den Broek): No. 1, Allegro non tanto
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 02, 2009, 04:51:31 PM
Yes, you've already tempted me with the Shelley... :D   I'm still working on the Mastroprimiano right now, have the first 2 boxes. Out of curiosity, do they replicate the same works pretty much? Or did Shelley start at the end and work his way backwards?..................

Good evening Gurn - Shelley seems to be recording these works in pretty much the order of their Opus numbers, i.e. Vol. 1 = Op. 1, 2, 7, & 8; Vol. 2 = Opp. 9-12; Vol. 3 = Op. 13, 20, 23, & 24; OTOH, Mastroprimiano is mixing them up (but of course all will eventually overlap) - his Vol. 1 (3-CDs) include works from Op. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 24, & 41; Vol. 2 is different, e.g. disc 1 is mostly six sonatas dedicated to Peter Beckford, and the others are not quite the same as the Shelley numbering - I guess that your choice is the desire to have the 'modern' piano vs. the fortepiano.

Concerning the Etudes - cannot provide an answer - did a little searching w/o much success - seem to be 'later' works?  I have some of Clementi's Symphonies, and know that he wrote chamber works, but own none of these compositions, so would be interested in the comments from all about other offerings?  Dave  :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 02, 2009, 04:51:31 PM
BTW, do you (or does anyone) have a disk of his etudes (that's what they are, although not called anything in particular) Gradus ad Parnassum(Op 44)? I have a disk of the first 6 suites played by Danielle Laval, and they are really quite interesting. Of course, after his death, his piano method lived on, and these are at the heart of it. :)

Just yesterday I recommended (on the thread "What are you listening?") a very nice and complete version (4 Cds) of the Gradus ad Parnassum, recorded on the label Arts. Its sound is gorgeous and the interpretation (by several young Italian pianists) is excellent or at least very good.

Below is included the image of another disc (by John Khouri) also strongly recommended.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on May 02, 2009, 05:28:35 PM
Good evening Gurn - Shelley seems to be recording these works in pretty much the order of their Opus numbers, i.e. Vol. 1 = Op. 1, 2, 7, & 8; Vol. 2 = Opp. 9-12; Vol. 3 = Op. 13, 20, 23, & 24; OTOH, Mastroprimiano is mixing them up (but of course all will eventually overlap) - his Vol. 1 (3-CDs) include works from Op. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 24, & 41; Vol. 2 is different, e.g. disc 1 is mostly six sonatas dedicated to Peter Beckford, and the others are not quite the same as the Shelley numbering - I guess that your choice is the desire to have the 'modern' piano vs. the fortepiano.

Concerning the Etudes - cannot provide an answer - did a little searching w/o much success - seem to be 'later' works?  I have some of Clementi's Symphonies, and know that he wrote chamber works, but own none of these compositions, so would be interested in the comments from all about other offerings?  Dave  :)

Well, I suppose we know what MY preference is :D  Interesting that Shelley is recording them in order, others who have attempted this haven't done that, I suppose because they wanted to get off to a bang-up start with some of those later works.

Well, later, but not too much so. Op 44 falls in there pretty much just past midway. But he did have a LOT of students by then (1805-10), so he must have needed something to illustrate his methods by. The liner notes say that some of the movements in each suite (these are the first 6 suites) are sonata movements, possibly ones that never found a home in a finished work.  My curiosity came about because other than the recording that I lucked into, I have never seen another, nor even another copy of this one. They play out as 6 movement suites that seem to go well together, almost like finished pieces. One thing I know, if I was a piano student, these would be a ferocious way to find my feet. :D

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Consortium Classicum - Boccherini - Quartet for clarinet, flute, horn & bassoon in E flat major, G. 263/1 (arranged by Othon Van den Broek): No. 3, Allegro

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 02, 2009, 05:38:25 PM
Just yesterday I recommended (on the thread "What are you listening?") a very nice and complete version (4 Cds) of the Gradus ad Parnassum, recorded on the label Arts. Its sound is gorgeous and the interpretation (by several young Italian pianists) is excellent or at least very good.

Below is included the image of another disc (by John Khouri) also strongly recommended.

Oh, hot damn! Thanks for that, Antoine! What synchronicity, since I have never mentioned these, nor seen them mentioned either! I really need to pick that up.

As for the the Khouri disks, absolutely a nice set, especially if you are a fan of the fortepiano. Very nice playing, great music too. But if you live for the sound of the modern grand piano, well, tough luck. :D  (perfect for me, though ;) )

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Consortium Classicum - Boccherini - Quartet for clarinet, flute, horn & bassoon in F major, G. 262/2 (arranged by Othon Van den Broek): No. 2, Larghetto

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 02, 2009, 05:44:46 PM
Oh, hot damn! Thanks for that, Antoine! What synchronicity, since I have never mentioned these, nor seen them mentioned either! I really need to pick that up.

The Spirit blows where it will, my friend.   :)

Gabriel

I have the 4 CDs of the complete Gradus ad Parnassum played by Laval, and it is very good indeed. You should get a complete set, Gurn: it is a fundamental work of classical piano literature.

Que

Quote from: Gabriel on May 02, 2009, 11:58:18 PM
I have the 4 CDs of the complete Gradus ad Parnassum played by Laval, and it is very good indeed. You should get a complete set, Gurn: it is a fundamental work of classical piano literature.

Are the recordings mentioned (Laval and the set on Arts) on fortepiano?
Because after having heard Clementi on Staier's Broadwood and on Mastroprimiano's copy after Dulcken, that's mandatory IMO! :o  :)

Q