Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: Mozart on June 11, 2009, 07:57:20 AM
Quote from: Mozart on June 11, 2009, 07:57:20 AMI heard some string quartets by Rosetti and they put me to sleep :/

In the good way, or the bad way? ???

btw- what is UP with those craaazy CPO covers??? :o Not very "classical"!

snyprrr

And no one's heard those Albrechtsberger SQs?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: snyprrr on June 17, 2009, 08:33:37 AM
And no one's heard those Albrechtsberger SQs?

Quote from: Gabriel on June 04, 2009, 03:14:00 AM

So you won't be surprised. ;D It is a very good CD, a good purchase for anyone interested in Haydn's or Mozart's quartets. They are not in the front line of the most excellent quartets of the period, but they are beautifully written. Even if Albrechtsberger was famous as teacher of counterpoint, he doesn't display any exaggerated profusion of it: these are austere works that invite for a pleasant listening. A very pleasant one, I'd say.

It was a very beautiful experience. When thinking that Haydn said (to Hummel I guess) that everything that was beautiful came from God, it was inevitable to link all the trip to Haydn's very religious approach to life: the visit to his mausoleum, the performance of Die Schöpfung - a religious composition -, and so on. :)

Here is what Gabriel wrote about it. I think he is the only one so far who has heard it, although SonicMan, like me, has it on his wish list. 8)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 17, 2009, 09:37:09 AM
Here is what Gabriel wrote about it. I think he is the only one so far who has heard it, although SonicMan, like me, has it on his wish list. 8)

Well, Gurn is correct - the SQ disc is still on my 'wish list' - I have the Trios disc on order (as shown on the previous page); but Gabriel's positive review was the prompt to add the recording to my list -  :D

snyprrr

Almost three months ago I was just happy as a clam listening to the modern music and going about my research, when two things happened simultaneously. I got the ABQ/Teldec box with the Mozart SQs, and robnewman showed up challenging people to listen outside their comfort zones (so to speak, puhleeze, don't pick on me here).

Ever since, I've been on this "classical" kick, and, oh boy, it's getting deep. I'm obsessed with finding the holy grail of c minor and g minor SQs! My general rule is that I won't get it unless it has a minor key SQ on it (which, of course, I've broken!).

Boccherini, Haydn, Dittersdorf, Pleyel...ha!... I can almost tell them apart now! Medic!!!

However, The Artist Known As Mozart does seem to stand out. No one else yet has as much chromatic noodling, for one; and there is a songfulness here missing in others (Andante con moto in K428; the Dissonance SQ). These SQs are quite unique.

One of the most interesting things I've learned is that not everyone wrote SQs in 4 mvmts. Most everyone other than H & M wrote in 3 mvmts., which were substantial, so that SQ timings were about the same no matter how many mvmts. were used. Also, 2 mvmt. SQs were also a feature of a lot of the French SQs (Saint-Georges, Gretry, Gossec, etc.) of the time.

Also, the stylistic change between Haydn's Op.20 and the later maturation of the "classical" sound is really interesting. Op.20 seems almost anachronistic. I seem to like it better than some of the mid-period type SQs before LvB.

But Haydn does seem to emerge as the big daddy. Though the Haydn "sound" seems to run through most all of the composers, he always seems to be at the forefront, his SQs seem the most "interesting." I liked the story about how it dawned on him that the entire civilised Western world considered him the "doyen" of music, and how his Op.77 SQs have such a majestic, opulent gait and demeanor.

I must say, though, through all this, I stttill like minor keys betters, for which, the classical era is not really that well known for (and even some minor key SQs that seem to have been written as trick major key works!). Still, I have found some hints of romanticism here and there (Haydn Op.20, for instance).

I am, however, trying to extricate myself from this quagmire before I run out of gas money!!!

Scarpia

Maybe this one has already come up, but I'd think this recording would be a no-brainer for classical fanatics:

Six symphonies by Vanhal.  Not quite Mozart, rather short works (15 minutes average) but very inventive use of the orchestra and sometimes arresting themes.  The third work on the disc, the "Sinfonia Comista" in C is a standout work, infectious with truly brilliant orchestration.  Nicely performed and recorded.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on June 28, 2009, 01:00:37 PM
Maybe this one has already come up, but I'd think this recording would be a no-brainer for classical fanatics:

Six symphonies by Vanhal.  Not quite Mozart, rather short works (15 minutes average) but very inventive use of the orchestra and sometimes arresting themes.  The third work on the disc, the "Sinfonia Comista" in C is a standout work, infectious with truly brilliant orchestration.  Nicely performed and recorded.

Thanks for that tip. I have a couple of the Vanhal disks on Naxos, and I like the music more than the playing. But Concerto Köln is one of my top favorite bands. I, for one, will have to give this one a go. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Orchestra of the Old Fairfield Academy / Crawford / Godburn (Bassoon) - K 191 Concerto in Bb for Bassoon 1st mvmt - Allegro
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Lethevich

It's an essential disc, indeedie, and much better than the already good Naxos ones. Such wiry energy!
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Scarpia

And beware you'll pay a kings ransom for them on an American site, they are bargain releases in Europe.  MDT.  They have an offer on "Das Alte Werk" that is worth checking out.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/pages/search/searchresults.asp?sFilter1=DAW0509

Opus106

Note that that disc is part of this larger set from Concerto Koln, comprising works by other unknowns from the Classical era.

Regards,
Navneeth

Gabriel

Quote from: Lethe on June 28, 2009, 01:42:02 PM
It's an essential disc, indeedie, and much better than the already good Naxos ones. Such wiry energy!

Indeed! ;) Lovers of minor keys should be delighted with this selection of symphonies (4 out of 5), outstandingly performed. (However, my favourite Vanhal symphony is the "great" D major, D4 in the Bryan catalogue, if I'm not mistaken).

Dr. Dread

I like when Sara says, "Indeedie." Heh.

Anyway, I just bought this:

Scarpia

Quote from: opus106 on June 29, 2009, 06:39:44 AM
Note that that disc is part of this larger set from Concerto Koln, comprising works by other unknowns from the Classical era.

That looks sweet.  For US purchasers, taking shipping into account MDT is a better deal than jpc.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//2564698899.htm

I'm severly tempted, although I already have the Vanhal disc.

ChamberNut

Quote from: MN Dave on June 30, 2009, 07:53:24 AM
I like when Sara says, "Indeedie." Heh.

I guess she thinks Indeedie is less rude and pompous than Indeed.   ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: opus106 on June 29, 2009, 06:39:44 AM

As w/ many others in this thread, the Concerto Köln is a favorite group of mine, also!  8)

I have that 'box set' (above left) on my 'wish list' - but just received them in the 2-CD addition added above (right) -  Antonio Rosetti's Symphonies - now an absolute steal on the Apex label (recordings from 1995/97); Rosetti has been discussed extensively earlier in this thread, so if you like this band, then yet another consideration (and not repeated in the larger box!) -  :)

Mozart

Gurn and others, what do you know about Spech? I'm listening to a string quartet of his played by the Festetics and its good stuff :) Never heard his name before and there isn't much info on him to be found.

Im surprised how good this quartet is...I've only heard num 2 in g minor.

"I am the musical tree, eat of my fruit and your spirit shall rejoiceth!"
- Amadeus 6:26

Mozart

Que

Mozart

Quote from: Que on July 03, 2009, 11:03:42 AM
Nice, and well played too!

Q

Do you know anything about this guy Q? It seems there are only 2 cds of his music, but judging by this quartet why is that so?

snyprrr