Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on August 02, 2009, 03:05:26 PM
Great! I'm doing something similar, Gurn. We are brave men.  ;D

Comments will be very, very welcomed, when you listen to your Solomons. It has been mistery for me during years.

:)

I would be interested to compare notes with you some day, Antoine. There are some real stickers in the divertimentos that are proving a challenge for me. :-\

Yes, I had read some good things about these symphonies, and when I saw a set with 35, 38, 39, 49, 58 & 59 come available, I pleased myself immensely by winning that auction. Hopefully be next weekend. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Collegium Musicum 90 / Hickox - Hob 01 103 Symphony in Eb 1st mvmt - Adagio - Allegro con spirito
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Just put a post in the Listening Thread which will likely be 'buried' w/ little if no response - so decided to quote the post below, mainly because the composer lived during the Gurian Era, and spent some of his time in Vienna in the early 19th century, and was considered the BEST guitarist of the times there; also, the performances on this 3-CD set were performed on 'period' instruments belonging to muscians/composers of renown - if you are fond of 'solo' (or 'duo') guitar and likely HEARD as back in that wondeful period of music, then is a strong consideration -  :)

QuoteGiuliani, Mauro (1781-1829) - Guitar Duos - Complete w/ Claudio Maccari & Paolo Pugliese - 3CD set from the Brilliant label - music played on 'original guitars' that belonged to Mauro Giuliani & Nicolo Paganini w/ gut strings and played according to performance techinques of the times!  BOY, if you love guitar music & HIP performances, this is a CHEAP experience - listened to the first 2 discs tongiht - just marvelous music, performances, and sound recording - RECOMMENDED!   :D

DavidW

So they are actual guitars and not lutes? :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on August 06, 2009, 05:58:32 PM

Sure, extremely popular in Vienna in the first half of the 19th century. Did you know that Stradivari made guitars too? I have a picture of one, it's gorgeous! :)

Thanks for the tip, Dave. I've seen some of his works offered, but hadn't got to getting any. No excuse now. He also has a bunch of sonatas for fortepiano and guitar, IIRC. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 42 Op 33 #6 Quartet in D 3rd mvmt - Scherzo: Allegretto

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Huh that's interesting, I just didn't know that they made guitars that early.  That's cool. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on August 06, 2009, 06:08:27 PM
Huh that's interesting, I just didn't know that they made guitars that early.  That's cool. :)

Yeah, some of Schubert's Lieder are written for guitar accompaniment too. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 43 Op 42 Quartet in d 1st mvmt - Allegretto ed innocentemente

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on August 06, 2009, 05:58:32 PM

David - guitars, my boy!  :D  Shown below belonged to the composer of the Brilliant set shown; the booklet contains about 3 pages of notes on mainly Italian (and also French) producers of guitars from that era; descriptions of a variety of instruments varying from 6 to 9 strings and both those w/ and w/o frets - just LOVE instrument making back in those times (maybe I should repost on my 'wooden instruments' thread?) - Dave  :)

DavidW

Yup those are beautiful instruments Dave.  I wonder what they sound like?

8)

Gurn Blanston

How about this Strad from 1680!!!

If you Google up Strad Rawlins guitar and check 'Images' you will see a beauty! From 1702, I think it said. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 43 Op 42 Quartet in d 2nd mvmt - Menuet

DavidW

Wow that looks too precious too play! :o

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on August 06, 2009, 06:18:57 PM
Wow that looks too precious too play! :o

I wouldn't even want to touch it! I like the way they used to fill the sound hole up. Very attractive. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 43 Op 42 Quartet in d 4th mvmt - Finale: Presto

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on August 06, 2009, 06:15:28 PM
Yup those are beautiful instruments Dave.  I wonder what they sound like?

Well, the guitar shown is the Gennaro Fabricatore 1809 owned by Mauro Giuliani, which is one of the number of guitars that is used in the 3-CD set shown previously; now, did you already suspect that response?   ;) :D  Dave

DavidW

Well you can't get anymore Historically Informed than that! :D

Mozart

I'm listening to that cd of Spech string quartets again, and I can't stop wondering, why is there only 1 cd of his but 50 of Dittersdorf or others. It's really good music!

Maybe its just the playing?
"I am the musical tree, eat of my fruit and your spirit shall rejoiceth!"
- Amadeus 6:26

Gabriel

Quote from: Mozart on August 12, 2009, 08:20:40 PM
I'm listening to that cd of Spech string quartets again, and I can't stop wondering, why is there only 1 cd of his but 50 of Dittersdorf or others. It's really good music!

Maybe its just the playing?

I doubt there are 50 CDs of Dittersdorf string quartets!

Florestan

To my shame, I discovered rather late this splendid thread and I took the time to read through all the pages. I am delighted by the congenial, relaxed and witty atmosphere that reigns here (very classical-ish, so to speak :) ) and by the goldmine of information and recommendations found here. Superb job, gentlemen! Bravo!

In the same spirit I want to share with you two recently discovered Youtube channels  that in my opinion fit very well here. The music is very well organized in playlists and I think it might be of interest to you. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Meyerbeer1&view=playlists

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=18thCenturyMusic&view=playlists

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gabriel on August 14, 2009, 02:52:34 AM
I doubt there are 50 CDs of Dittersdorf string quartets!

Well, maybe 50 copies of that one, cpo disk... ::)

Here is a supposition though: despite the fact that Ditters is, um, less well known, nonetheless, he is famous compared to Spech. I haven't heard the Spech so I can't comment critically, but I will say this much anyway; record companies don't fund project based on the relative worth of the music, they do it based on whether they think it will sell. So let's say that a million people have heard of Mozart and might buy one copy each. Of those, maybe 10,000 have heard of Ditters and might buy one copy each. And of those, maybe 100 have heard of Spech and might buy one copy each. Throw in enough adventurers who would buy it on... Spec(h), and do the math.

I don't know, just sayin'. I don't think it's right, but I don't own a record company. :-\

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on August 14, 2009, 02:56:56 AM
To my shame, I discovered rather late this splendid thread and I took the time to read through all the pages. I am delighted by the congenial, relaxed and witty atmosphere that reigns here (very classical-ish, so to speak :) ) and by the goldmine of information and recommendations found here. Superb job, gentlemen! Bravo!

In the same spirit I want to share with you two recently discovered Youtube channels  that in my opinion fit very well here. The music is very well organized in playlists and I think it might be of interest to you. Enjoy!

Well, we're delighted you could join us. Thanks for the links, we never have enough to look and listen (Classical music is like Chinese food, eat a lot and get hungry again an hour later. :) ).

Don't be a stranger. We're always here. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on August 14, 2009, 02:56:56 AM

Oooh, that second link is great!  All kinds of stuff, from famous to obscure. Merçi beaucoup!

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 14, 2009, 04:36:14 AM
Oooh, that second link is great!  All kinds of stuff, from famous to obscure. Merçi beaucoup!

You're most welcome! The first link is worth checking out as well. Have you heard Andreas Romberg's "Der Messias"? Or Norbert Burgmueller's Symphony in C minor? Lot of obscure stuff like that there.  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini