Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

The Musical Dandelion, they called him.

Dr. Dread

I've been craving restraint so classical and baroque have become even more appealing.

karlhenning

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: opus106 on August 18, 2009, 06:54:39 AM
I used to like this place... >:(

;)

Well, if you can make a credible argument that he is a Classical composer, without resorting to Newmanesque methods, then we'll allow him in. Otherwise, he has at least 10 threads already.... but hey, he had kids. Lot's of 'em. Pick one! :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 18, 2009, 07:02:52 AM
Well, if you can make a credible argument that he is a Classical composer

Heaven forbid, no! I'm glad he's Baroque. :D

But I can probably..., maybe attempt to give you enough reason to not prevent his mention here.
Regards,
Navneeth

ChamberNut

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 18, 2009, 07:02:52 AM
Well, if you can make a credible argument that he is a Classical composer, without resorting to Newmanesque methods, then we'll allow him in. Otherwise, he has at least 10 threads already.... but hey, he had kids. Lot's of 'em. Pick one! :D

8)

Well said.  JSB should probably just have a forum dedicated to him, or a Parent forum within "The Music Room"

DavidW

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 18, 2009, 08:16:47 AM
Well said.  JSB should probably just have a forum dedicated to him, or a Parent forum within "The Music Room"

I would rather crap in Gurn's thread. ;D

Florestan

Gurn, what's the period again? Do you count Schubert, Weber and Arriaga in or out?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Dr. Dread

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on August 18, 2009, 08:22:25 AM
Gurn, what's the period again? Do you count Schubert, Weber and Arriaga in or out?

In. I also count pre-Classical. Schubert is on the cusp, and so is Weber (well-chosen names!) but we give them the benefit of the doubt. And we like to consider how their music changed things, which is difficult if you can't talk about them... "Well, S&*^%$*# was interesting...." :D

Quote from: DavidW on August 18, 2009, 08:20:24 AM
I would rather crap in Gurn's thread. ;D

You have no shame, none at all. >:(    :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MN Dave on August 18, 2009, 08:36:12 AM
Just ordered this:

I think you will be very pleased with those, Dave. I got them one at a time, took years. But I'm pleased with them even though they have been supplemented since. :)

8)

Dr. Dread

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 18, 2009, 08:41:28 AM
Sweet, Dave!  :)

Yes, I finally dropped the cash on this one. I'm sure it will bring me much pleasure in my remaining years.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 18, 2009, 08:43:23 AM
I think you will be very pleased with those, Dave. I got them one at a time, took years. But I'm pleased with them even though they have been supplemented since. :)

8)

Yes, I've owned individual discs from this set. I think I still have one at home. If anyone wants it (in the US), let me know by PM.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on August 18, 2009, 08:22:25 AM

If you go back to the first post in the thread, I tried to give at least a little bit of my reasoning. Anyone is free to agree or disagree, but that's just me. :)

8)

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on August 18, 2009, 08:43:56 AM
Yes, I finally dropped the cash on this one. I'm sure it will bring me much pleasure in my remaining years.

Quanto costa?

Florestan

Quote from: MN Dave on August 18, 2009, 08:36:12 AM
Just ordered this:

Excellent choice! Hours of pleasure await you!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini