Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 19, 2009, 07:46:40 AM
I'll try to. It's a big job, and I will get harpooned from all sides, but screw 'em...

Right; can't please everyone.

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 19, 2009, 07:46:40 AM
How about 100 favorite works? :)

8)

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 19, 2009, 08:00:58 AM
OK, will do!  ;D  Mine will include Pre and Post Gurnian Era works.  :D

Absolutely, Ray.  I'm sure I've heard 100 works from The Gurn Age, but I can't be sworn that I remember 100 of 'em, let alone remember sufficient that I can whittle them down to 100 favorites  0:)

DavidW

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 19, 2009, 08:00:58 AM
OK, will do!  ;D  Mine will include Pre and Post Gurnian Era works.  :D

Yes I think 99/100 being Bach would be balanced. :)

Dr. Dread

I await the Gurnian version.  0:)

karlhenning

Yes, the Word of Gurn is worth awaiting  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on August 19, 2009, 08:12:11 AM
Speaking of which: Gurn, may I kindly remind you of my previous inquiry?

Oh, I haven't forgotten. It's a busy day at work, and the people who pay me ungodly sums of money to be here want something from me in exchange. This evening, at my leisure though... :)

BTW, the names on that particular list are quite revealing of how your mind works. None can be dismissed lightly... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Dr. Dread

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 19, 2009, 09:41:49 AM
Oh, I haven't forgotten. It's a busy day at work, and the people who pay me ungodly sums of money to be here want something from me in exchange. This evening, at my leisure though... :)

Ok, take all the time you need.  :)

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 19, 2009, 09:41:49 AM
BTW, the names on that particular list are quite revealing of how your mind works. None can be dismissed lightly... :)

;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on August 19, 2009, 09:49:06 AM
Ok, take all the time you need.  :)

;D

Here is a quick and only modestly inspired idea of how I think about this era. Hope it makes any sense at all... :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

What does the y-axis represent?
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: opus106 on August 19, 2009, 10:18:55 AM
What does the y-axis represent?

Nothing really. It is just the overall number of works as a fixed value. If it was accurate, the left side would be far higher than the right side, but I didn't intend to go down that road, at least not yet... :)

8)

Sorin Eushayson

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 19, 2009, 10:10:25 AM

That's fantastic, Gurn!  Seems right to me.  Certainly the issue isn't black-and-white as most make it, but a progression like so.  I'll keep this graph in mind in case I need to use it at some point!  :)

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: opus106 on August 19, 2009, 10:25:38 AM
Ookay...

You don't seem convinced. Care to expound? :)

Quote from: Sorin Eushayson on August 19, 2009, 10:24:53 AM
That's fantastic, Gurn!  Seems right to me.  Certainly the issue isn't black-and-white as most make it, but a progression like so.  I'll keep this graph in mind in case I need to use it at some point!  :)

Thanks, Sorin. I think all the so-called periods of art must be this way rather than a liner, fixed boundary. :)

8)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 19, 2009, 10:28:55 AM
You don't seem convinced. Care to expound? :)

I think I'm trying to over analyse it... a mild case of snypprosis, I think it's called. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

ChamberNut

Quote from: opus106 on August 19, 2009, 10:34:00 AM
I think I'm trying to over analyse it... a mild case of snypprosis, I think it's called. ;)

;D ;D

ChamberNut

I'm thinking that Snyprrr is an Archaelogist by trade?  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: opus106 on August 19, 2009, 10:34:00 AM

No, don't do that. It's only a time line with a second dimension added to depict prevalent style at the time. Nothing more. I'm not really clever enough to come up with something really cool. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 19, 2009, 10:38:20 AM
I'm thinking that Snyprrr is an Archaelogist by trade?  :)

Excavating the dark catacombs under the Amazon Marketplace building, where all the one-timers are buried.... :D

8)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 19, 2009, 10:43:15 AM
No, don't do that. It's only a time line with a second dimension added to depict prevalent style at the time. Nothing more.

Gotcha. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Dr. Dread

"Gurn's Post-Gurnian Era Tonalists by Gurn Blanston"

Get on that too.