Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 04, 2010, 05:14:23 PM
As I understand it, they are just branching out. They won a Diapason d'Or for this, as well as for a modern one they did (Lachnemann and Nono) so apparently they are pretty versatile. You might really like this disk, Franco, It has some excellent playing of some very, very nice music. :)

8)
----------------
Now playing:
The Hanover Band / Goodman - Hob 01 016 Symphony in Bb 2nd mvmt - Andante

The Lachenmann/Nono is the one I have.  Very different music.  Thanks for the info on their Classical recording, it may end up in my hands.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Franco on August 04, 2010, 05:57:50 PM
The Lachenmann/Nono is the one I have.  Very different music.  Thanks for the info on their Classical recording, it may end up in my hands.

:) Yeah, a little different anyway. :)  It really is quite a distance to travel from Nono to Onslow... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
La Petite Bande / Kuijken  Suzuki - Hob 07b 1 Concerto in C for Cello 3rd mvmt - Allegro molto
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

snyprrr

Quote from: Franco on August 04, 2010, 05:57:50 PM

That disc made me sell two Ardittis!! :o That Nono is in my TopRotation!

assadourian

I have a lot of Onslow's CD : the mandelring quartett is a referrence in 3 cd of op op8/1 ,op50,op46/2,op4/1,
op10/1,op46/3, op9/1 and 3, op47. With the Cd of Diotima's you have a good scope of early to late quartets
of Onslow .
For piano piano pieces : laurent Martin and thierry Ravassart in 2 sonatas 4 hands op 7 (where we can detect
harmonic influences of Dussek ) and op22 . ... and a toccata op 6 (1810) that is prototype of the Schumann's one.

Symphonies :NDR RP /J goritzki

Piano trios : by the Trio Cascades in 2 CD
string Quintets :by l'Archibudelli (op,39,40,and op38 with piano)
Piano Quintets  : Ensemble monsolo (op 70, 38)
I think with this is a good beginning ;D
i

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: assadourian on August 05, 2010, 10:55:36 AM
I have a lot of Onslow's CD : the mandelring quartett is a referrence in 3 cd of op op8/1 ,op50,op46/2,op4/1,
op10/1,op46/3, op9/1 and 3, op47. With the Cd of Diotima's you have a good scope of early to late quartets
of Onslow .
For piano piano pieces : laurent Martin and thierry Ravassart in 2 sonatas 4 hands op 7 (where we can detect
harmonic influences of Dussek ) and op22 . ... and a toccata op 6 (1810) that is prototype of the Schumann's one.

i

assadourian,
Yes, quite a good beginning. I agree, those 3 Mandelring disks + the Diotima do cover some ground on the quartets. I guess there are others but I haven't really looked, happy with what I have. I also heve 3 disks on MD&G with 2 quintets each, as well as the L'Archibudelli and feel like those are well covered too. Also just got the 'moderntimes 1800' disk with the 3 violin sonatas on it, but haven't listened enough to it to comment yet. I am interested in the piano pieces though. I am pretty sure that I haven't heard any solo or 4 hands piano by Onslow, and that's too bad, I would like to do. I shall take your recs and go shopping. :)

You should join us here more often, you seem like a kindred spirit! :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: assadourian on August 05, 2010, 10:55:36 AM
of Onslow .

i

Assadourian - glad to see a 'new' poster in this thread - Gurn & I have been Onslow fans for years and likely have a lot of overlapping discs (which include many of the ones you have listed above) - currently I have about a dozen but must explore the Quartets more, and do not have any of his piano music - plan a purchase of the recent Gurn recommendation; also own the one below which is enjoyable -  :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 12, 2010, 06:33:22 AM
It is my cherished hope to make you a classicist. I'll continue working on that... :)
8)

And I'm working hard to make him a Wagner/Mahlerite  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 08, 2010, 08:05:34 AM
And I'm working hard to make him a Wagner/Mahlerite  :D

Sarge

...and making me ill at the same time; 2 birds with 1 stone. You're a bad man, Sarge! :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus \ Carlo Giulini - Op 125 Symphony #9 in d 2nd mvmt - Molto vivace - Presto

Sorin Eushayson

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 08, 2010, 08:23:12 AM
...and making me ill at the same time; 2 birds with 1 stone. You're a bad man, Sarge! :)

8)
With metal choke
and chain'ed collar,
he leads them t'ward
the Gates of Mahler!

>:D

SonicMan46

Danzi, Franz (1763-1826) - Wind Quintets - love these works! For a while I've owned the 3 Naxos discs w/ the Michael Thompson Wind Quintet; recently on BRO the Op. 68 works were offered at a bargain price w/ the Reicha Quintett on 'period instruments' (not sure if the ones shown on the cover are the actual instruments used in the performance?) - I really like these period instruments in the Danzi works!  Now, should I replace the other sets in my collection (Danzi has 3 Op. numbers in the wind quintets - Op. 56, 67, 68 - reference HERE?)  Could obtain the others and keep both but space is always an issue for me -  ::)

So, just wondering what thoughts may be from those who have heard these two groups in these 'windy works' - thanks for any comments -  :)

Gurn Blanston

Hi, Dave,
Well, I have all 3 opera of those wind quintets, but not on any of those labels! Mine are the Berlin Philharmonic Wind Quintet on BIS. The music is very nice indeed, and well played. I must say, however, that your Reicha Quintet version on PI has a lot of attraction for me. Need to check that out. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Ryo Terakado \ Boyan Vodenitcharov - Bia 165 1 Op 12 #1 Sonata #01 in D for Piano & Violin 1st mvmt - Allegro con brio

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 22, 2010, 07:36:58 PM
Hi, Dave,
Well, I have all 3 opera of those wind quintets, but not on any of those labels! Mine are the Berlin Philharmonic Wind Quintet on BIS. The music is very nice indeed, and well played. I must say, however, that your Reicha Quintet version on PI has a lot of attraction for me. Need to check that out. :)

Hello Gurn - NCA has packaged the 3 discs into a foldout (pic inserted above) but the Amazon Marketplace (w/ S/H added) wants $40!  The recordings are available on Classics Online for about $23 in MP3 format.  On Amazon a review from Fanfare by Jerry Dubins HERE is rather ambiguous - not sure that he likes wind music from this era and/or thinks that Danzi was not a good composer - I find the music quite enjoyable (in either of the two groups that I now own) - Dave  :D

Gabriel

I think Danzi's quintets are pleasant, but I can't say I find them very interesting. It's probably a consequence of my previous acquaintance with Rejcha's wind quintets, which (in my very humble opinion) are in a totally different level.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gabriel on August 26, 2010, 01:59:33 AM
I think Danzi's quintets are pleasant, but I can't say I find them very interesting. It's probably a consequence of my previous acquaintance with Rejcha's wind quintets, which (in my very humble opinion) are in a totally different level.

True enough, Reicha's 5tets are in a league of their own. I don't think it is any bad criticism at all to say that a wind quintet is not as good as Reicha's!   :D  However, there is very little else out there to compare them to, as it seems to be an underexploited genre, to say the least! So it goes. :(

8)

Henk

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 11, 2010, 02:52:17 PM
Somewhere, here and there (probably while I was looking for Concerto Köln disks) I ran across this one and decided to have a go at it:

Concerto Koln! They already impressed me with their recording of Wilms and Myslivecek.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Henk on August 27, 2010, 08:09:32 AM
Concerto Koln! They already impressed me with their recording of Wilms and Myslivecek.

Oh, yes indeed, I enjoy both of those disks too. Along with their Brunetti, Rosetti, Kraus... well, actually, pretty much their entire discography is pretty darn good! As well as being off the beaten track, by and large. I certainly appreciate that!

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center / Shifrin - Bia 204 Op 20 Septet in Eb for Strings & Winds 1st mvmt - Adagio

assadourian

[/quote]

I admire this formation ,so. They explore a lot unknown composers of this period.
If you don't have , you can buy "eyes closed" , the piano concerti op 22 and 49 with
Andreas Staier at the piano . The op 49 in g, is  very very outstanding , perhaps one
of most forcefull and passionate of the 1800's.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jvfOUivUL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

SonicMan46

Well, thought that I'd re-post a brief 'listening thread' entry here for posterity!  ;D

Just acquired the Onslow SQ discs below - now have 3 discs of the SQs & 3 discs of the SQuintets; not even a third of the way to his total output of about 70 works in these two genres!  Just finished the Quatuor Diotima disc and have to agree w/ Gurn - this is wonderfully composed and intricate music, early Romantic but looking toward the future - the performers are just superb in their playing; these are later works (post-LvB last SQs) and show more complexity and individuality at least to my ears.  The second disc just starting to spin!  :D

QuoteSome 'new' arrivals the last few days but just getting a chance to listen on this Labor Day weekend!

Geroges Onslow (1784-1853) - String Quartets but with two different groups & labels; these include 6 different works (2 from Op. 9, and also Op. 47, 54-56) - we've had previous discussions on this rediscovered composer who was French born w/ an English father, and mainly German-trained - he wrote about 70 String Quartets/Quintets (nearly split in half);  many likely yet to be found, published & performed!

Cristofori

Hello Gurn,

Although I listen to classical type music from many genres and eras (my favorite probably being Baroque), I'm trying to learn more about the Classical era in particular.

The problem for me though is that I'm confused about just what exactly the Classical era really is. It seems there are many composers from this period that have a foot in the late Baroque or early Romantic eras, and the whole genre is so thoroughly overshadowed by the big three (Mozart, Haydn & early Beethoven), that few others come to mind or seldom get any attention.

I know of some Classical era composers, like Hummel, Stamnitz, Bach's sons, etc., but can you give me any links to a more definitive list of other composers that are firmly grounded in this era that are worth listening too? I probably have some of them in my collection already (I have so many LP's and CD's bought second hand I'm not even sure what I have anymore...). Also, any recommended books on this era would be appreciated.

I know you may have already given such a list on this thread somewhere, but I'm not a regular here and would rather save myself the trouble of looking.

Thank you,

SonicMan46

Quote from: Cristofori on September 04, 2010, 10:09:44 AM

I know you may have already given such a list on this thread somewhere, but I'm not a regular here and would rather save myself the trouble of looking........

Well, I'm not Gurn but we both share a major interest in this era regardless of how the period is defined; of course, traditionally the time from the death of JS Bach to that of Beethoven is often conveniently used, i.e. about 1750 to the late 1820s - obviously there is considerable 'overlap' at both ends and many interesting transitional composers existed beyond the usual three or so, both earlier and later.

If you are not familiar w/ Boccherini, I would suggest exploring some of his works - he was quite prolific and his chamber works are a joy to many; the 'string quintets' would be a good start.  I would also suggest simply looking carefully through this thread - Gurn providing such lists of composers in the earlier pages, and many other composers have been introduced and discussed here.

You may also want to explore the 'Composer Thread' that Lethe has put together, a compilation of specific composer topics; there birth-death dates are given, so you can easily match the time period suggested previously.

I'll let others add more and I'm sure that our 'thread master' will chime in shortly - good luck in your exploration - this happens to be my favorite classical music time period!   :D