Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Eberl, Anton (1765-1807) - Piano Sonatas et al w/ John Khoury on two different keyboard instruments; a restored fortepiano by Jacob Pfister (c. 1820) and a reconstruction of a pedal piano from the 18th century - this is a 3-disc set that was purchased on the Amazon MP from the pianist.

Eberl was a short-lived Viennese pianist who studied w/ Mozart; in fact some of his compositions were attributed to Mozart until Eberl clarified the matter after the former's death.  Thus, Eberl's style is similar to Mozart but his later works are early Romantic - a short Wiki bio can be found HERE; and a review of the recordings HERE.

These solo piano works are new to me (I do own two other discs of his Symphonies & Piano Trios); of course the other fascination w/ these present recordings are the instruments used; Khouri wrote the booklet notes and explains the reconstructions/restorations of the pianos used - I've also exchanged some interesting e-mails w/ him and plan to make a more detailed post about these pianos in the 'Old Instrument' thread -  :D

Gurn Blanston

Dadgummit Dave, you always come up with the coolest disks... I can understand in Gabriel's case, him being in Yurp and all, but you're a hick like me! :-\   :D

Anyway, here's a disk of Eberl that I have been enjoying for a while:

because it has not only a nice sonata, but a piano trio AND a piano quintet. So I get a nice little recital every time I play it. :)  I got it on eBay and I seem to remember that when I went conmparative price shopping, it was available at Amazon Marketplace. Not for the .99 cent pittance that I gave, of course... :P  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Kameropera Antwerpen \ Hans Rotman - K 582 Insert Aria in C  'Chi sa, qual sia' for 'Il bubero di buon cuore' by Martin y Soler
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 27, 2010, 04:48:37 PM
Dadgummit Dave, you always come up with the coolest disks... I can understand in Gabriel's case, him being in Yurp and all, but you're a hick like me! :-\   :D

Hi Gurn - that Khoury package is certainly of interest w/ the two instruments used - I did put a longer post about the pianos w/ pics of the Pfister (before & after restoration), and also a quote from the pianist about the initial condition & restoration of that piano in my 'Old Instruments' thread, if you want to take a gander?

I like the sound of the restored Pfister piano - not as sure about the 'pedal piano' but have never heard this instrument before!  There is a deeper resonance and range w/ those bass foot strings added - however, throughout Khoury plays w/ gusto and his enthusiasm for Eberl shows in the well done liner notes - I picked up a couple of his Hummel discs at BRO - Eberl would be a nice addition there?  ;D

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 27, 2010, 04:48:37 PM
Anyway, here's a disk of Eberl that I have been enjoying for a while:

Actually, I've been 'eying' the Eberl chamber disc above w/ one of our favorites on clarinet - i.e. Klocker; Scott Morrison has the single review on Amazon giving the performance/recording a 4/5* HERE - I'd be interested if any of our other 'classical thread' fans might have experience w/ this recording (of course, being a CPO product, I'm sure Harry has it in his collection -  ;) :D).

Dave

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on October 27, 2010, 06:24:52 AM
After having a blast listening to Haydn's 49th, I have to ask what are your favorite storm and stress works everyone? :)
Of Haydn, or in general?

IMO, real and significant "Sturm und Drang" in music is somehow later than its literary counterpart. "Storm and stress" is a much more apt description for the music of, say, Carl Maria von Weber, Norbert Burgmueller and even Robert Schumann than for Joseph Haydn.

Anyway, to keep it in the frame of common knowledge, Vanhal's symphonies and Dussek's piano sonatas are consistently S&D.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

DavidW

In general.  I guess I'll have to check out Vanhal and Dussek then. :)

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on October 28, 2010, 08:40:26 AM
In general.  I guess I'll have to check out Vanhal and Dussek then. :)
For Dussek, you could start here, just type Dussek in the Search box.

For Vanhal, here, just type Vanhal in the Search box.

Enjoy! (and when you have time please let me know what you think of them).

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Leon

Some nice music here:

Bartolomeo Campagnoli: Violin Concerto, Op. 15; Flute Concerto, Op. 3/2 & Flute/Violin Concerto

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on October 28, 2010, 01:27:21 PM
Some nice music here:

Bartolomeo Campagnoli: Violin Concerto, Op. 15; Flute Concerto, Op. 3/2 & Flute/Violin Concerto

Looks interesting, Leon. I've found it rather difficult to get much from Italy in that period, seems like the Italians were laying low... :)  I have a nice Giornovichi disk, and some of the Viotti that Dave talks about above, but lets face it, by then Giornovichi might as well have been a Brit and Viotti a Frenchman! So this looks well-worth looking into. Is that orchestra playing period instruments? 

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leon

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 28, 2010, 01:32:51 PM
Looks interesting, Leon. I've found it rather difficult to get much from Italy in that period, seems like the Italians were laying low... :)  I have a nice Giornovichi disk, and some of the Viotti that Dave talks about above, but lets face it, by then Giornovichi might as well have been a Brit and Viotti a Frenchman! So this looks well-worth looking into. Is that orchestra playing period instruments? 

8)

No, not period instruments, but very good playing.  Here's their website: http://opvorchestra.it/orchestra/storia/

If you are thin in Italian classical period music, this is definitely worth checking out.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on October 28, 2010, 01:49:38 PM
No, not period instruments, but very good playing.  Here's their website: http://opvorchestra.it/orchestra/storia/

If you are thin in Italian classical period music, this is definitely worth checking out.

Ah, interesting. Quite a list of collaborators with them. :)

And I will. The last time I worked on realizing a closing of the gap, I came up with Giornovichi. Not bad at all. So Compagnoli will help with that. I figure there have to be more in the period between Nardini and Rossini & Paganini. It can't be that they dropped off the face of the earth for a couple of decades, after all!  :)  Maybe the great Diaspora of Italian musicians to the capitols of Europe simply impoverished them temporarily. This is something that needs looked into and I'm the man for the job! :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Bilson \ Wilcock \ Schlapp \ Mason - K 493 Quartet #2 in Eb for Fortepiano & Strings 1st mvmt - Allegro

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leon on October 28, 2010, 01:49:38 PM

Leon - thanks for the recommendation; earlier in the year, I purchased a large package of Dynamic recordings from Italy directly (shipping not bad to the USA for the amount of discs) - will put that one you discussed on my 'wish list' -  :)

As to being 'thin' on classical music Italians, my collection of Boccherini fulfills that purpose (and likely Gurn has a substantial collection himself) - if you've not explore this Italian composer of the  classical era who spent most of his latter life in Spain, then another one for you to investigate -  :D

Gurn Blanston

Dave,
My entire collection of Viotti:

I feel like I would like to have more, but don't really know which ones to jump on. I don't feel like I would like all of them, but that might be the way to go. It is sort of like Spohr (in so many ways!); lots of good stuff, but not to te point that I lose sleep over not having it. I may follow your lead with that Kaplan disk, it looks interesting. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Bilson \ Wilcock \ Schlapp \ Mason - K 493 Quartet #2 in Eb for Fortepiano & Strings 2nd mvmt - Larghetto

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 28, 2010, 04:32:14 PM
Dave,
My entire collection of Viotti:

I feel like I would like to have more, but don't really know which ones to jump on. I don't feel like I would like all of them, but that might be the way to go. It is sort of like Spohr (in so many ways!); lots of good stuff, but not to te point that I lose sleep over not having it. I may follow your lead with that Kaplan disk, it looks interesting. :)

Gurn - I just have that single Kaplan disc of 3 of his 29 'Violin Concertos' - ordered from Amazon w/o me looking closely that it was a CD-R; thus, no liner notes!  Ughh - sent an e-mail to Arabesque for a possible PDF file of the liner notes, not expecting a return, but almost immediately was sent the file, which seemed to have just been scanned - impressed and printed out already!

Now I left a post in the 'Considering Thread' - Dynamic has released a 10 CD set of all the Viotti 'Violin Concertos' - available for $47 at MDT a few yrs ago - hoping that others who may have heard several of these discs or possibly own the box (not sure of the packaging) - but interested - Dave  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on October 28, 2010, 05:18:23 PM
Gurn - I just have that single Kaplan disc of 3 of his 29 'Violin Concertos' - ordered from Amazon w/o me looking closely that it was a CD-R; thus, no liner notes!  Ughh - sent an e-mail to Arabesque for a possible PDF file of the liner notes, not expecting a return, but almost immediately was sent the file, which seemed to have just been scanned - impressed and printed out already!

Now I left a post in the 'Considering Thread' - Dynamic has released a 10 CD set of all the Viotti 'Violin Concertos' - available for $47 at MDT a few yrs ago - hoping that others who may have heard several of these discs or possibly own the box (not sure of the packaging) - but interested - Dave  :)

Here's what the box looks like, so I'm gonna say it can't be 10 jewel boxes:

although it could be 5 slim double boxes...

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment \ Mullova (Direct & Violin) - K 218 Concerto #4 in D for Violin 3rd mvmt - Rondeau: Andante grazioso - Allegro ma non troppo

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 28, 2010, 05:24:42 PM
Here's what the box looks like, so I'm gonna say it can't be 10 jewel boxes:

although it could be 5 slim double boxes...

Hmmm - Now I have all of those CPO Spohr CDs (6 as I remember) - 10 more discs of Viotti - the price is certainly reasonable - guess that I'll sleep on it for a few days - Dave  :D

SonicMan46

During my treadmill workout in my basement today, I was listening to one of my many discs of the group below:

Weber-Hummel-Reicha - Clarinet Chamber Works w/ Charles Neidich on a period reproduction clarinet and the wonderful L'Archibudelli Quartet on period instruments - I own a number of their recordings and I know that Gurn is an advocate; so I guess the question is what recordings of this group do you have in your collection & recommend!   :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on October 28, 2010, 05:51:24 PM
During my treadmill workout in my basement today, I was listening to one of my many discs of the group below:

Weber-Hummel-Reicha - Clarinet Chamber Works w/ Charles Neidich on a period reproduction clarinet and the wonderful L'Archibudelli Quartet on period instruments - I own a number of their recordings and I know that Gurn is an advocate; so I guess the question is what recordings of this group do you have in your collection & recommend!   :D

That's a very fine disk, Dave. I'm not gonna jump right out and make any false claims, but I think I may have all of their disks now, at least the ones from the Classical/Early Romantic. I think I'm still lacking their Bruckner, but it doesn't hurt me too badly... :-\

There you have it, the group that made me an accidental HIPpie... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
NDR Philharmonie \ Griffiths - Wranitzky Op 31 Grande Sinfonie caracteristique in c 1st mvmt - The Revolution: Andante mosso - Allegro molto

Antoine Marchand

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 28, 2010, 06:02:57 PM
Beths, van Dael, Kussmaul and Bylsma. What a lot of losers!  ;)

:P

----------------
Now playing:
NDR Philharmonie \ Griffiths - Wranitzky Op 31 Grande Sinfonie caracteristique in c 3rd mvmt - March of the English: Tempo di marcia mivibile: Allegro

Leon

I've been listening to this one today:

Works By Reicha/Rossini/Danzi

Taffanel Wind Ensemble