Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 15, 2011, 11:55:11 AM
Yes, Pinnock does a bangup job with that concerto. I am a huge fortepiano fan, and since that work was composed in 1781, I always felt it should be a fortepiano work. But in reading about it, I discovered that Haydn didn't even have a fortepiano at the time (although I'm sure he was exposed to them in Vienna), and if he wrote it for Esterhazy that chances are it really was a harpsichord work.

That's interesting. I've never heard a Pianoforte version, and had always assumed it had been written for harpsichord... I can't imagine space would have been a problem for the Esterhazys... who has done a good fortepiano version? Malcolm Bilson?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jared on April 15, 2011, 12:10:27 PM
That's interesting. I've never heard a Pianoforte version, and had always assumed it had been written for harpsichord... I can't imagine space would have been a problem for the Esterhazys... who has done a good fortepiano version? Malcolm Bilson?

Oh, Brautigam leaps to mind right off. And Schornsheim too. #3, 4, & 11 have been  historically nearly always done on piano, and so it continues in the fortepiano age. Those 3 will appear together on disk. These are both highly commendable. :)

[asin]B002ED6VL8[/asin][asin]B0007OP1RG[/asin]

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jared on April 15, 2011, 12:10:27 PM

Oh, meant to say also; don't know if Bilson has done it or not, never run across it. I would buy it if he did, big fan of his. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

oh, my bad! I totally forgot this little jewel too! The Haydn Year was good to the keyboard concerti; all 3 of these disks are from 2009. :)

[asin]B001CCHPL2[/asin]

8)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 15, 2011, 12:56:57 PM
Oh, Brautigam leaps to mind right off. And Schornsheim too.

I thought that you don't like her playing. ???

Jared

^^ some great looking disks there Gurn... no two ways about it, they all look worthy of future inspection...

...but you really should see the size of my 'to be played' shelf...  :o

Scarpia

Quote from: Jared on April 15, 2011, 01:44:25 PM
^^ some great looking disks there Gurn... no two ways about it, they all look worthy of future inspection...

Just one shelf?

Jared

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 15, 2011, 01:46:06 PM
Just one shelf?

well, when I say 'shelf', I kind of mean 'gravitational vortex'...  :D

it hasn't got any smaller than from the days when you were a nut-job..  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: haydnfan on April 15, 2011, 01:43:34 PM
I thought that you don't like her playing. ???

No, not at all. I think that comparatively with Brautigam, for example, she is more... mild-mannered, let's say. But that's just a difference in artistic approach, not a closed door on her by any means. In fact, I have not only invested in her concertos set, but her solo piano one too!   :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jared on April 15, 2011, 01:44:25 PM

Believe me, I know what you mean. I have the nearly complete works of Shostakovich, essentially untouched. I guess I will save them for retirement!  :D

As for Haydn, especially PI Haydn; please, don't get me started!   ::)

8)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 15, 2011, 02:54:16 PM
No, not at all. I think that comparatively with Brautigam, for example, she is more... mild-mannered, let's say. But that's just a difference in artistic approach, not a closed door on her by any means. In fact, I have not only invested in her concertos set, but her solo piano one too!   :)

8)

Yeah I know you have the solo keyboard set, I was thinking of our discussion of it a year or two back.  Hmm... I'd like to listen to that set again...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: haydnfan on April 15, 2011, 05:10:23 PM
Yeah I know you have the solo keyboard set, I was thinking of our discussion of it a year or two back.  Hmm... I'd like to listen to that set again...

Well, since Haydn wrote the huge majority of his keyboard sonatas specifically for ladies to play, I think there is a good deal of worth in relying on a lady for a glimpse into an authentic soundworld. Even though I like the force of masculine playing (Brautigam is the Richter of the Fortepiano, IMO), I've been leaning lately towards the opposite direction. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
BBC Philharmonic / Torchinsky   Kathryn Stott (Piano) - Kabelevsky Op 26 Suite for Small Orchestra 'The Comedians' pt 01 - Prologue: Allegro vivace

Jared

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 15, 2011, 02:56:32 PM
Believe me, I know what you mean. I have the nearly complete works of Shostakovich, essentially untouched. I guess I will save them for retirement!  :D

As for Haydn, especially PI Haydn; please, don't get me started!   ::)

8)

talking of the 'shelf', I've just added another one to it, courtesy of an incredible bargain from Great Uncle Ebay...  ;D

I've not read any reviews, however I don't want to say something as bland as 'well if its on the Hyperion label...'

so, do you have any views on this disk, Gurn?

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 15, 2011, 05:15:13 PM
Well, since Haydn wrote the huge majority of his keyboard sonatas specifically for ladies to play, I think there is a good deal of worth in relying on a lady for a glimpse into an authentic soundworld. Even though I like the force of masculine playing (Brautigam is the Richter of the Fortepiano, IMO), I've been leaning lately towards the opposite direction. :)

This is the Haydn sonata disk I just listened to the other day, Jenö Jandó is really good (I'm sure many of you have heard or have some recordings from the series on Naxos):

I have yet to hear a PI performance of the Haydn sonatas, but you convinced me to give the ladies a try  8)

It sure was good to hear these works again. I love Haydn's piano sonatas. The sonatas are so musically varied and exquisite in taste and feeling, and interesting in mood.

(I love the covers Naxos designed for this series too)

;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on April 16, 2011, 06:44:05 AM
This is the Haydn sonata disk I just listened to the other day, Jenö Jandó is really good (I'm sure many of you have heard or have some recordings from the series on Naxos):

I have yet to hear a PI performance of the Haydn sonatas, but you convinced me to give the ladies a try  8)

It sure was good to hear these works again. I love Haydn's piano sonatas. The sonatas are so musically varied and exquisite in taste and feeling, and interesting in mood.

(I love the covers Naxos designed for this series too)

;)

Leo,
I haven't heard Jando's Haydn, but I've read several reviews which left me thinking that this may be his best effort with any composer. My problem, of course, is that I can't bear to listen to Classical music on a modern instrument unless there is no option. My bad. :-\

Here are a few ladies from my collection. I admit, I DO collect Haydn keyboard works despite the glaring lie I told recently about not collecting disks.  >:D

Odiaga is strictly fortepiano, and she is quite good. This is an obscure label and finding (and affording!) them is difficult. They show up in the Marketplace though, and if someone is offering a fair price, it is worth to pick one up just to hear her take.

Hadjimarkos is a clavichord player, and her choice of repertoire reflects that. This is a lovely disk, reissued on Zig-Zag at a reasonable price (I think I paid $12 for it new). If clavichord intrigues you, this is a disk to have.

Davidsson is a mix of fortepiano and clavichord. She is an excellent player, and if you want to hear some clavichord without investing in a disk full, then this is a nice start.

Rachel heard is Naxos' concession to fortepiano enthusiasts. And a very good one too. She is a very good player and you wouldn't feel at all badly starting out with this disk.

Joanna Leach plays a square piano, which is appropriate for late works from his English period. Her piano has a most interesting sound and she plays the hell out of it.

Finally, Schornsheim. She plays the complete works for keyboard. She uses the appropriate instrument for everything from the 1755 divertimentos for harpsichord right up to the big fortepiano works of the late years. Different harpsichords, clavichords and fortepianos make the entire thing a sort of tour de force for keyboard fans. There was a time when this box was being fairly given away (I paid $28 at BRO for 124 disks), but now the few boxes left are being sold for their true value, which is high. Still, if you find a used box being sold for a reasonable price, don't hesitate. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

I moved this one over from the Purchases Today thread so it would hang about for a few minutes. I haven't made it all the way through yet, so haven't reached the Weber that I bought it for. But the period replica clarinets sound wonderful, as well as the 1826 Collard & Collard (English action) pianoforte.

QuoteSo the other night I was looking for a version of Weber's Gran Duo that I could recommend in The Corner, and I ran across this disk, which I couldn't recommend because I hadn't ever heard of it before. But I was intrigued enough to buy it and it arrived today for a first listen. I am now holding out high hopes after reading the booklet that it will be the killer Grand Duo... :)

Thanks to Leo for pushing me over that cliff. I was hunting for a nice recommendation for that clarinet work topic when I spotted this. But never having heard of it before, I could hardly say "oh, get this one". I know people do though... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Colin Lawson (Clarinet / Neal da Costa (Pianoforte) - Danzi Sonata Concertante for Clarinet & Pianoforte 3rd mvmt - Allegretto

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 16, 2011, 07:17:22 AM
I moved this one over from the Purchases Today thread so it would hang about for a few minutes. I haven't made it all the way through yet, so haven't reached the Weber that I bought it for. But the period replica clarinets sound wonderful, as well as the 1826 Collard & Collard (English action) pianoforte.

Thanks to Leo for pushing me over that cliff. I was hunting for a nice recommendation for that clarinet work topic when I spotted this. But never having heard of it before, I could hardly say "oh, get this one". I know people do though... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Colin Lawson (Clarinet / Neal da Costa (Pianoforte) - Danzi Sonata Concertante for Clarinet & Pianoforte 3rd mvmt - Allegretto

First of all, thanks for the Haydn recommends! My heart is set on that Schornsheim sometime this year...wow...that is what I've been looking for!

And regarding your new purchase of Colin Lawson: thanks for mentioning this, as this looks like an intriguing release. Danzi, Burgmuller, and Loewe and Stadler too! Let us know what you think!'

At the risk of wandering around Amazon ( :-X)I also noticed this Lawson recording that looks fine:

;D

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 16, 2011, 07:08:09 AM

Nice list, Gurn. I would add these two recommendations (Brautigam is self-recommended):

[asin]B0007AC1GO[/asin]

3-CD set. Great performances by Staier playing on two copies after Anton Walter (c. 1790 & 1792). Its price is almost irresistible on Amazon .

[asin]B00000203M[/asin]

Beautiful disc by Richard Burnett who plays a Viennese fortepiano by Michael Rosenberger, c.1798 (Sonatas No. 35 and 41) and an English pianoforte by John Broadwood and Son, 1801 (Sonatas No. 60 and 61).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 16, 2011, 09:22:02 AM
Nice list, Gurn. I would add these two recommendations (Brautigam is self-recommended):

[asin]B0007AC1GO[/asin]

3-CD set. Great performances by Staier playing on two copies after Anton Walter (c. 1790 & 1792). Its price is almost irresistible on Amazon .

[asin]B00000203M[/asin]

Beautiful disc by Richard Burnett who plays a Viennese fortepiano by Michael Rosenberger, c.1798 (Sonatas No. 35 and 41) and an English pianoforte by John Broadwood and Son, 1801 (Sonatas No. 60 and 61).

Antoine,
Yes, both of those are fine disks, and highly recommendable (although my Staier is 3 separate disks, which I am very pleased to have that way). However, our discussion (which you unfortunately missed the beginning of) is specifically is about women interpreting Haydn now in view of the fact that the huge majority of these works were written specifically for women. To make up for your 2 male rec's, I am now forced to offer 2 more ladies in the interest of balance.  ;D

I can't imagine that I forgot Cerasi in my first post, put it off on Saturday AM sluggishness. I got her on a rec from Antoine, and delighted I did since that purchase was what got me started picking up odd & end obscure keyboard disks which has been a rewarding pastime for me. Cerasi is a superb player and really connects with these works.

Wataya, OTOH, I can't tell you about since that purchase was very recent and based on reading about her performances of some Bach on clavichord which were universally praised on a Bach site I ran across. 2 disk set, all clavichord. I can hardly wait to have it in hand!

I will also point out that the Brilliant set which is included in the Haydn Big Box is actually performed by a number of players, some of whom are ladies too. I have to do some serious listening before I can comment on those, although I have read some good reviews. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Colin Lawson (Clarinet / Neal da Costa (Pianoforte) - Weber Op 48 Grand Duo Concertante in Eb for Clarinet & Pianoforte 1st mvmt - Allegro con fuoco

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on April 16, 2011, 08:44:56 AM
First of all, thanks for the Haydn recommends! My heart is set on that Schornsheim sometime this year...wow...that is what I've been looking for!

And regarding your new purchase of Colin Lawson: thanks for mentioning this, as this looks like an intriguing release. Danzi, Burgmuller, and Loewe and Stadler too! Let us know what you think!'

At the risk of wandering around Amazon ( :-X)I also noticed this Lawson recording that looks fine:

;D

:D  Yes, I realized (and feared) the danger of turning you loose there, but what can I say?  Damn the torpedoes!  >:D

I am listening to the Grand Duo as I type, and enjoying it very much. The balance between the instruments on this disk is superb, probably equivalent to what a modern clarinet and modern concert grand would be, although I would want to be sitting several rows nearer the rear in that case. :D  The timbre marks the difference though. That beautiful wooden clarinet and wood frame English action grand piano are just more characterful. And the playing is as good as I had hoped for, so we are hitting on all cylinders now.

You're right, the coupling of the Burgmüller & Loewe with the Weber was what had attracted my attention to the disk at first, given that you had posted on both of those guys. And I am already a Danzi and Stadler fan, so really, other than the off-chance that it just plain sucked, it was an obvious good choice. if you decide to get it, you won't be disappointed. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Colin Lawson (Clarinet / Neal da Costa (Pianoforte) - Weber Op 48 Grand Duo Concertante in Eb for Clarinet & Pianoforte 1st mvmt - Allegro con fuoco