Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on June 23, 2011, 09:41:12 AM
Yes, chas, that's it for sure. I rather liked it, to be honest. I thought the notturnos were particularly nice. :)

8)

I'll have to give it a spin to (re)sample its virtues. Michael was no slouch. This recording I do remember liking:

If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

chasmaniac

Quote from: chasmaniac on June 23, 2011, 09:39:24 AM
I have this disc of Michael's string quintets

but to be honest, I don't remember anything about it.

My bad! The C major's adagio cantabile shimmers. It's gorgeous.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

milk

I've been gaga for Gamba lately. Leaving aside Baroque, here are two recordings I recently purchased that fit into the paramaters of this thread:

Incidentally, does anyone have the Pandolfo recording of CPE Bach's Gamba works? I listened to a sample and it was really slow in tempo. I'd like to hear an opinion of it.

Leon

This composer may be a bit early for our corner, but as is described in Wikipedia, "While Van Maldere's chamber music shows late-baroque characteristics and Corelli's influence, his violinsonatas and symphonies testify to the formation of the early classical 'Viennese' symphony. Most of the symphonies are in three parts, and contain elements as thematic contrast or modulating development. "

Maldere, Pierre van: Sinfonias (Academy of Ancient Music, Bral)

These works are very worthwhile and the performances on PI are very well realized.

This composer may not be new to others, but was a new find for me, and a very happy one at that.

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on June 29, 2011, 08:27:13 AM
This composer may be a bit early for our corner, but as is described in Wikipedia, "While Van Maldere's chamber music shows late-baroque characteristics and Corelli's influence, his violinsonatas and symphonies testify to the formation of the early classical 'Viennese' symphony. Most of the symphonies are in three parts, and contain elements as thematic contrast or modulating development. "

Maldere, Pierre van: Sinfonias (Academy of Ancient Music, Bral)

These works are very worthwhile and the performances on PI are very well realized.

This composer may not be new to others, but was a new find for me, and a very happy one at that.

New to me, too. Always game to check him out. A lot of these "pre-Classical" guys are so hard to categorize. It makes for interesting listening.

Thanks!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Benda Brothers - Flute Sonatas w/ the performers listed on the cover art; also back cover image of the performers w/ their instruments - cello & harpsichord are certainly 'period' but not sure about the flute (looks like wood w/ metal keys; little information in the liner notes) - the flute sounds more like those of the period, just a deeper & more resonant tone - according to an excellent review by Jerry Dubins HERE, the flute was made in 1950 (which is in the liner notes), so pretty much a 'modern' instrument - still not sure from the sound? Also, not sure if Jerry was the best choice since he states "my tolerance for flute music is only slightly higher than it is for bagpipes and harp" -  ;D

This acquisition makes about 10 discs that I now own of the Benda Bros - in searching this thread, we've had plenty of discussion of this duo, so if interested take a look - and if you like the flute (as I do) in a trio chamber group, then a disc to be considered; superlative sound from Hungaroton, as expected -

milk

Hmm...speaking of CPE's disciples...wasn't Jiri Benda one of them?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: milk on July 01, 2011, 04:11:20 PM
Hmm...speaking of CPE's disciples...wasn't Jiri Benda one of them?

No. However, his brother Franz was, not a disciple, but a colleague of equal stature with CPE Bach in Potsdam. Bach was a keyboardist and Benda the fiddler in perhaps the most eminent musical establishment in Europe, that of Frederick the Great. Like Emanuel, his music is pre-Classical, more or less transitional, and really very good if you are a violin fan. His teacher was Pisendel. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Raglan Baroque Players / Wallfisch (Solo Violin) - Locatelli Op 3 #05 Concerto in C for Violin 4th mvmt - Allegro

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Danzi, Franz (1763-1826) - Symphonies w/ Howard Griffiths & the Orch della Svizzera Italiana - 2 CD set (in a single sized jewel box) -  :D

A different look at Danzi for me, i.e. some of his orchestral output - in addition to this new acquisition, I have about 8 discs of this composer's works, but all chamber compositions (half being his wonderful Wind Quintets) - there are plenty of posts in this thread on this aspect of his composing (and a dedicated thread on the composer but w/ few posts).

These 2 discs contain 6 symphonies (P 218-223 - P refers to Volkmar von Pechstaedt who cataloged Danzi's works) - the liner notes are quite good and extensive (12 pages in English plus other languages); these orchestral pieces were composed in groups of two starting w/ 1790 (or earlier), 1804 (in print), and 1818 (in print); so in that wonderful 'transitional period' between the classical and romantic eras.

For me these look more back into the classical period; each work varies in length from just over 16 mins to 23+ mins.  As expected, the wind writing makes these performances especially fun.  Griffiths appears to have enjoyed conducting these performances, and the recorded sound from CPO is excellent.  Attached is a reviewed from the Am Record Guide (May-June 2011 issue) for those interested! :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 04, 2011, 09:13:59 AM
Danzi, Franz (1763-1826) - Symphonies w/ Howard Griffiths & the Orch della Svizzera Italiana - 2 CD set (in a single sized jewel box) -  :D

A different look at Danzi for me, i.e. some of his orchestral output - in addition to this new acquisition, I have about 8 discs of this composer's works, but all chamber compositions (half being his wonderful Wind Quintets) - there are plenty of posts in this thread on this aspect of his composing (and a dedicated thread on the composer but w/ few posts).

These 2 discs contain 6 symphonies (P 218-223 - P refers to Volkmar von Pechstaedt who cataloged Danzi's works) - the liner notes are quite good and extensive (12 pages in English plus other languages); these orchestral pieces were composed in groups of two starting w/ 1790 (or earlier), 1804 (in print), and 1818 (in print); so in that wonderful 'transitional period' between the classical and romantic eras.

For me these look more back into the classical period; each work varies in length from just over 16 mins to 23+ mins.  As expected, the wind writing makes these performances especially fun.  Griffiths appears to have enjoyed conducting these performances, and the recorded sound from CPO is excellent.  Attached is a reviewed from the Am Record Guide (May-June 2011 issue) for those interested! :)

Thanks for this info, Dave, it looks like an interesting set. I have a couple of concertos (flute) and sinfonias concertante, but otherwise, like you, it is all chamber music. This one goes on the list, the ever longer list... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Menno van Delft (Clavichord) - Müthel  Arioso #1 in G for Keyboard  pt 06 - Variazione V: Andante

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 04, 2011, 09:20:34 AM
This one goes on the list, the ever longer list... :D

somehow, I feel impelled to start rewriting the Lord High Executioner's song....

For I have a little list,
Of recordings that can't be missed

My own little list on Amazon seems to run to over 200 items, of which perhaps 20 are things I really don't expect to get.....

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 04, 2011, 09:13:59 AM

ooooh! I have this one. I forgot about it! How did that happen - oh yeah, still needs to be ripped!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 15, 2011, 10:05:43 AM
img]http://giradman.smugmug.com/Other/Classical-Music/i-WKmhDmL/0/O/BachCPEStaier.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the info, Dave. An interesting suggestion, indeed.

Talking about the Freiburger Barockorchester, DHM has announced this set:

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: toñito on July 15, 2011, 10:17:52 AM
Thanks for the info, Dave. An interesting suggestion, indeed.

Talking about the Freiburger Barockorchester, DHM has announced this set:

Hmm, muy interesante. :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 15, 2011, 10:19:39 AM
Hmm, muy interesante. :)

8)

Yes, DHM has announced three of those 10-CD sets: Freiburger Barockorchester, Cantus Cölln and Collegium Aureum, all of them formidable Baroque ensembles. Additionally, these sets cover a quite specialized repertoire and the admission price is really attractive (EUR 18 at JPC).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: toñito on July 15, 2011, 10:32:59 AM
Yes, DHM has announced three of those 10-CD sets: Freiburger Barockorchester, Cantus Cölln and Collegium Aureum, all of them formidable Baroque ensembles. Additionally, these sets cover a quite specialized repertoire and the entrance price is really attractive (EUR 18 at JPC).

That is attractive. Maybe what it takes to get me to listen to some Zelenka... :D

8)

Leon

Some good music from somewhat undervalued Classical era composers:

HOFFMEISTER, F.A.: Viola Concertos / STAMITZ, C.P.: Viola Concerto No. 1 (Victoria Chiang, Baltimore Chamber Orchestra, Thakar)

Listening to the Stamitz Viola Concerto No. 1 in D major (Chiang, Victoria - viola; Baltimore Chamber Orchestra;  Thakar, Markand - Conductor) and enjoying the pleasant ease and poise which which he handles the orchestra and soloist - this ease belies some rather striking techinical demands.  The care Stamitz took with the solo part no doubt reflects his own virtuosi level playing of the viola.  The viola is an instrument I like to hear featured, since it's lower range and darker tone (from the violin's) can, in the right hands, convey a quality that appeals to me a great deal.

Stamitz might be a bit more well known and more often performed than Hoffmeister, but neither one can be said to be a major name, although it is easy to be overshadowed when your contemporaries are Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven.

This is the first I've heard Victoria Chiang, but she comports herself well bringing out a beautiful tone and expressiveness from what can be a difficult instrument.  The Baltimore Chamber Orchestra led by Markand Thakar provides an appropriately transparent and boyant orchestral sound.

I consider both these composers well worth listening to and this disk offers a nice selection of out-of-the-way works featuring the viola, which, if that is your cup of tea - it is highly recommended by me.

Gurn Blanston

That looks like an interesting disk, Leon. Thanks for the information about it. I think you're right, Carl Stamitz is rather more well-known than Hoffmeister. Always has been, in fact, because his father, Johann, was one of the premier musicians at the middle of the 18th century. Carl's instrument (that he played) was the viola d'amore, probably being what this concerto was originally composed for. I have a recording of some works of his for that instrument, which includes this concerto, IIRC. It is very nice music, and I think I will avail myself of the opportunity to pick it up since the playing is good here.  :)

8)

chasmaniac

The 2 discs of Carl's duos are fabulous.

Leon

Quote from: chasmaniac on July 18, 2011, 06:28:30 AM
The 2 discs of Carl's duos are fabulous.

I am listening to Vol. 1 right now and agree with your comment - they are wonderful!