Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: chasmaniac on November 27, 2011, 03:07:02 AM
I'm with Gurn on the second Mosaiques Haydn box, opp. 64, 76, 77. And while it is HIP, the playing is disciplined and intonation excellent.

For Mozart something with similar characteristics, containing all of his "Haydn" quartets on 3 discs:

[asin]B000JBXIIG[/asin]

This looks like a great set, thanks for the heads up  :o 8)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Leo K on November 27, 2011, 05:17:03 AM
This looks like a great set, thanks for the heads up  :o 8)
Very good. If quick, you'll find it on BRO for $12.
:D
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 26, 2011, 04:56:30 PM
This sounds like you are thinking of giving a gift.

A gift to myself... :)

I recently heard a Kodaly Quartet recording of the latter three of Haydn's Op. 76 quartets that has been sitting unused in my collection for a few years and was blown away.  Reminded me that I should check out some more of the quartets by both composers.  Thank you very much for the lead on the Quatuor Mosaïques Haydn box set!  I'll pick that up as soon as I have money.  I'm interested in that Mozart set which also happens to be in print, too.

And thanks everyone else for the other recommendations!  Keep in mind that I'm looking for 'best' works rather than complete box sets.  That Klenke set seems to fit the bill nicely.

Antoine Marchand

I have recommended this set before, but for Mozart's "Haydn" quartets there is not better combination price/quality than this:

[asin]B000H6SU9U[/asin]

Geo Dude

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 27, 2011, 06:55:36 AM
I have recommended this set before, but for Mozart's "Haydn" quartets there is not better combination price/quality than this:

[asin]B000H6SU9U[/asin]

Thanks for the lead.  Do you have more detailed thoughts on this set? (other than the GREAT price!)  Is it HIP or HIP influenced?  General thoughts on the playing style?  Any information you can provide is helpful.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Geo Dude on November 27, 2011, 07:48:47 AM
Thanks for the lead.  Do you have more detailed thoughts on this set? (other than the GREAT price!)  Is it HIP or HIP influenced?  General thoughts on the playing style?  Any information you can provide is helpful.

Totally HIP and played on period instruments. This is the ensemble of the Smithsonian Institution (that's the origin of their instruments), but currently is known as The Axelrod Quartet. At the time of these recordings, the quartet was leaded by the famous Dutch violinist Jaap Schröeder, who, for instance, shares credits with Hoogwood in the integral recording of the Mozart symphonies (AAM, L'Oyseau Lyre). All those quartets are exceptionally well played and the set includes some bonus (K. 563, 370).

Here you can read a more detailed review:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2007/May07/MozartSmithson_3727782.htm

Leon

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 27, 2011, 06:55:36 AM

[asin]B000H6SU9U[/asin]

I second this recommendation.  I consider this set first rate.

:)

SonicMan46

Hertel, Johann Wilhelm (1727-1789) - Concerti & Sinfonie w/ Capriccio Barock Orchester and Sergio Assolini on bassoon - my first disc of this little known German late Baroque-early Classical composer; stimulated by a good review in Fanfare reprinted HERE and the inclusion of a number of bassoon concerti; all played on PIs for 80+ minutes!

Despite searching I can find little on this 'transitional' composer of the 18th century (a period that I love!) - a short Wiki Article is available - he apparently wrote a LOT of music but googling for an oeuvre was not successful - what to obtain next, if anything?  Apparently his trumpet concerto(s) is well known - might consider the MDG disc below?  :)

Geo Dude

Thank you for all the advice, gentlemen.  You can view the fruits of your labors here.

chasmaniac

Quote from: Geo Dude on November 28, 2011, 11:03:55 AM
Thank you for all the advice, gentlemen.  You can view the fruits of your labors here.

Would those be fresh fruits or canned fruits in light syrup?  :D  Good looking buys!
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Geo Dude

Quote from: chasmaniac on November 28, 2011, 11:45:04 AM
Would those be fresh fruits or canned fruits in light syrup?

That depends entirely upon how long it takes the sellers to ship them out... ;D

Leo K.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 28, 2011, 07:28:02 AM
Hertel, Johann Wilhelm (1727-1789) - Concerti & Sinfonie w/ Capriccio Barock Orchester and Sergio Assolini on bassoon - my first disc of this little known German late Baroque-early Classical composer; stimulated by a good review in Fanfare reprinted HERE and the inclusion of a number of bassoon concerti; all played on PIs for 80+ minutes!

Despite searching I can find little on this 'transitional' composer of the 18th century (a period that I love!) - a short Wiki Article is available - he apparently wrote a LOT of music but googling for an oeuvre was not successful - what to obtain next, if anything?  Apparently his trumpet concerto(s) is well known - might consider the MDG disc below?  :)

This is great Dave! I also recently discovered this composer and I'm loving what I'm hearing. Here is the disk I have, with three concertos and two short sinfonias:

Totally Recommended!

8)

By the way, I also like the music of his father, Johann Christian Hertel  ;)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leo K on November 28, 2011, 04:06:19 PM
This is great Dave! I also recently discovered this composer and I'm loving what I'm hearing. Here is the disk I have, with three concertos and two short sinfonias:

Totally Recommended!  By the way, I also like the music of his father, Johann Christian Hertel  ;)

Hi Leo - just listened to my disc yesterday - excellent and love the bassoon (not sure which works are on your CD?) - but stimulated by what I heard, just ordered the 'trumpet' recording on MDG (a label I love!) - should arrive by the end of the week!  Dave :)

Leon

Two very nice recordings:

[asin]B000BOWT4K[/asin]

[asin]B0000029KA[/asin]

:)

chasmaniac

Another upcoming release from Hungaroton that might find favour with the cats in the classical corner.

[asin]B006EMSQ1I[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on December 02, 2011, 04:24:25 AM
Another upcoming release from Hungaroton that might find favour with the cats in the classical corner.

[asin]B006EMSQ1I[/asin]

I have this one;

and this one;

[asin]B00365QSH0[/asin]

and find them both quite enjoyable. Certainly it will be interesting to look into another (known good) composer's take on the basset horn trio. Thanks for the link, Chas!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Having a lot of enjoyment from this:

Especially the E Minor Symphony, wow! What a fine work of "sturm und drang" emotion!

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on December 04, 2011, 06:59:01 AM
Having a lot of enjoyment from this:

Especially the E Minor Symphony, wow! What a fine work of "sturm und drang" emotion!

8)

I didn't realize they were up to Vol 4 of that series. I don't think I have Vol 3 yet!  :-[  And I really like Vanhal's music too. What am I thinking?  :-\  Thanks for the reminder, Leo. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 04, 2011, 07:13:51 AM
I didn't realize they were up to Vol 4 of that series. I don't think I have Vol 3 yet!  :-[  And I really like Vanhal's music too. What am I thinking?  :-\  Thanks for the reminder, Leo. :)

8)

It's Haydn's fault!  :o  ;D

I forgot how wonderful's Vanhal's symphonies really are, and this disk cements my love! I've returned to the early volumes too. Vanhal's a good/interesting musical adventure to go alongside my recent Haydn journey  ;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on December 04, 2011, 07:40:39 AM
It's Haydn's fault!  :o  ;D

I forgot how wonderful Vanhal's symphonies really are, and this disk cements my love! I've returned to the early volumes too. Vanhal's a good/interesting musical adventure to go alongside my recent Haydn journey  ;)

Yup, right on all counts. I quite enjoyed Vol 1 & 2, and a couple of other Vanhal disks I have too. He was a top-shelf composer in his day, and IMO his quality hasn't diminished over the years, despite that his fame has. Tastes change; taste doesn't. Vanhal was always in good taste. :)

8)