Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 15, 2011, 05:50:50 AM
Splendid. Don't get too close to that modern flute, it will cut right through your ear drums. :D

Seems that the best instrument for you would be a time machine...  ;D :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

My ears somehow managed to escape intact after the onslaught of the modern flute and are now hearing  another horror in Gurn's book.  ;D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Elgarian

Following a lead in the bargain thread, I ordered the Haitink LSO box of Beethoven symphonies last week. I was hesitant because, despite the give-away price and the reputation of the set, I've been so under the Immerseel Beethovenian spell that I thought I might be wasting my money. Not so. I've been listening to the 3rd and 6th symphonies from this set these last couple of days, and revelling in the wonderfully expressive articulation of Haitink's performances, detailed and powerful. All the power of someone like Veronese, painting with the whole arm, yet still delivering the most subtle nuances. I didn't even stop to think 'This is a modern instrument performance': I just accepted it from the start on its own terms, simply because the thing was so good, so convincing. The Eroica was tremendously impressive, and the Pastoral full of delicate touches.

I'm pleased about this; I felt uneasy about only being able to get enthusiastic about Beethoven symphonies via one particular set of PI performances, and I now discover this isn't the case. This, too, is rock and roll; but it's Abbey Road rock & roll, as opposed to Beatles first album. Or Elvis '78 TV Special, as opposed to the '50s Hillbilly Cat. Nice to know that I'm not stuck in a rut. Well, not this particular rut, anyway.

Leo K.

Quote from: Elgarian on December 17, 2011, 12:08:40 AM

Following a lead in the bargain thread, I ordered the Haitink LSO box of Beethoven symphonies last week. I was hesitant because, despite the give-away price and the reputation of the set, I've been so under the Immerseel Beethovenian spell that I thought I might be wasting my money. Not so. I've been listening to the 3rd and 6th symphonies from this set these last couple of days, and revelling in the wonderfully expressive articulation of Haitink's performances, detailed and powerful. All the power of someone like Veronese, painting with the whole arm, yet still delivering the most subtle nuances. I didn't even stop to think 'This is a modern instrument performance': I just accepted it from the start on its own terms, simply because the thing was so good, so convincing. The Eroica was tremendously impressive, and the Pastoral full of delicate touches.

I'm pleased about this; I felt uneasy about only being able to get enthusiastic about Beethoven symphonies via one particular set of PI performances, and I now discover this isn't the case. This, too, is rock and roll; but it's Abbey Road rock & roll, as opposed to Beatles first album. Or Elvis '78 TV Special, as opposed to the '50s Hillbilly Cat. Nice to know that I'm not stuck in a rut. Well, not this particular rut, anyway.

I love your reviews Elgarian. I haven't put away my modern-instruments Beethoven either, as much as I LOVE the Immerseel Beethoven 5th, my absolute favorite is Maazel's account with the Cleveland Orchestra on CBS records. As for the many great Beethoven 9th's out there, Abbado and Furtwangler remain my monastery and abode.

8)

chasmaniac

As the notes say, Handelian choruses and galant arias. The first disc made no particular impression, the second was solid enough to rate a second listen right away, and the third (just ended! and also available on Helios, Amazon notwithstanding) is fabulous.

[asin]B000A7XJOC[/asin]
[asin]B000GCG8GC[/asin]
[asin]B000009PZ9[/asin]
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Elgarian

Quote from: chasmaniac on December 18, 2011, 01:13:52 PM
As the notes say, Handelian choruses and galant arias. The first disc made no particular impression, the second was solid enough to rate a second listen right away, and the third (just ended! and also available on Helios, Amazon notwithstanding) is fabulous.

[asin]B000A7XJOC[/asin]
[asin]B000GCG8GC[/asin]
[asin]B000009PZ9[/asin]

Bet you a million pounds 20p that if you go back to the first CD you'll enjoy it a lot more than you did the first time round, having meanwhile got yourself into the Linley 'groove'. (My favourite of those three delightful CDs is the one with the 'Tempest' music.)

I always give young Tom an appreciative thought when I'm in Bath - at his birthplace in Abbey Green, and at the later family residence on the Royal Crescent.

SonicMan46

Just left the short post quoted below in the 'listening thread' (w/ an added pic) - decided to expand a little here which may be of interest.

Lidl (ca. 1740-1789) was born in Austria and was a virtuoso on the viola da gamba & baryton; he was employed by Nikolaus Esterházy and was part of the prince's orchestra from 1769-1774, and might have studied composition under Haydn?  The disc contains a half dozen baryton trios performed by the Esterhazy Trio (same group who did the 21-disc Haydn box of baryton works!).  The baryton (a.k.a. viola di bordone) used in this recording is a copy after one by J.J. Stadlmann which was played by Prince Esterhazy and is now in the National Museum in Budapest.  So, if you like the baryton and want a composer other than Haydn, this one is recommended!

The Haydn single disc includes Nos. 42, 59, 66, 70, 96, 101, & 113; of course these are all in the BIG BOX and select ones in other recordings that I own, such as those w/ John Hsu.  Guido Balestracci is on the baryton (added a pic of the group below for this post which shows the performers and their instruments); the instrument was made by Pierre Bohr, Milano 2008 after one by Simon Schodler, Passau 1785 - :)

QuoteSome new arrivals featuring the Baryton:

Lidl, Andreas - Divertimenti - Baryton Trios w/ the Esterhazy Trio (same group who put together the BIG BOX of Haydn's baryton works)!

Haydn, Joseph - Divertimenti - Baryton Trios w/ the performers on the cover art; of course, all of these are in the BIG BOX mentioned above, but if you want just 1 disc of these works, this one is excellent - :)

Leo K.

Has anyone heard this? I just got it, but haven't jumped in yet. I never heard of Manuel Canales  8)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Leo K on January 04, 2012, 08:08:34 AM
Has anyone heard this? I just got it, but haven't jumped in yet. I never heard of Manuel Canales  8)

Yes. There are 2 such discs from Guido's Hand. The music is nervous, preoccupied. Engaging, formally Haydnesque, but one feels as though one is listening to someone worry.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Leon

I got this a while back but only just now got around to it -

[asin]B000SOME16[/asin]

I have heard of this composer, but never heard his music until now.  Very nice. 

:)

SonicMan46

Hi Arnold - I own about a half dozen discs of Eberl's music, but not the one you are discussing so will be quite interested in your comments?

But, a 3-disc collection of his Keyboard Sonatas w/ John Khouri performed on 2 different fortepianos (one a pedal instrument) is the most interesting in my collection - I actually exchanged a few emails w/ Khouri and he sent me some pictures regarding the restoration of some of his early pianos - if curious, check HERE in the 'Old Musical Instrument' thread - Dave :)

chasmaniac

First spin in quite a while for this one. It's remarkably good.

[asin]B00005QHS3[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on January 09, 2012, 04:08:45 AM
First spin in quite a while for this one. It's remarkably good.

[asin]B00005QHS3[/asin]

Ah yes, the Brunetti string quartets. That disk came to my attention through this column and I have always been pleased with that fact. You're right; remarkably good. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Question relating more to the performers than the music itself...

Received this as part of an order off of Hyperion's Please Buy Me page.

For those not familiar with it, the page is where Hyperion lists what are supposedly those recordings which have remained longest unsold in the recent past.  In theory if any purchases one of the CDs, it automatically become ineligible.  I'm not sure if it actually works that way--I've seen CDs I ordered before from the page pop up two months later--but the discounted prices are usually worth it if the recording is interesting in any way. (And if your order is over 20GBP, you start getting a volume discount to make it an even better deal.) I paid rather less than Amazon MP's price.
[asin]B0012Y1HJG[/asin]
For those not familiar with these quintets, they are scored for flute, two violins, viola and 'cello; are relatively short (between 10 and 14 minutes long, with the average being about 11), and except for the last one, in two movements.  Number six, which has the title "Los Parajedas" is in three movements, Entrada/Marcia, Galope, and Entrada/Marcia, which is an almost but not exactly the same repeat of the first movement.  They were published in 1775 as Opus 25, so you may see references to them with that designation.  The recording was made in 2007 and apparently released in 2008.  Musically, it's up to Boccherini's usual standards.

The ensemble involved is Auser Musici; this was their first recording for Hyperion, and Amazon shows a couple more for Hyperion and Tactus. They are HIP, and led by flautist Carlo Ipata.  Luigi Puxeddu is the cellist  (on this recording at least).  Is any familiar with them, and if so, are their other recording worth getting? Besides those already available, they have this one coming out soon on Hyperion.

Gurn Blanston

That's an interesting-looking disk, Jeffrey. I can't recall having those works (seems like my flute quintets are Op 16 although not being home, I can't tell). I haven't heard of those performers either, although in the PI world, where chamber sized ensembles pop up and disappear by the dozens per year, that isn't unusual. I need to check out my stash at home and then look further into this, thanks for bringing it up. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 09, 2012, 06:57:18 PM
[asin]B0012Y1HJG[/asin]

I have this disc, and don't remember a thing about it!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 09, 2012, 06:57:18 PM
For those not familiar with these quintets, they are scored for flute, two violins, viola and 'cello[...]

Musicological note:  That is what would traditionally be meant by the term flute (or piano, or clarinet) quintet: a string quartet plus flute (or piano, or clarinet).

(Of course, in a thread such as this where some of the music may fall outside of what subsequently became standard terminology, clarity is always a plus.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

chasmaniac

I find the variety of classical era string quintet lineups interesting. Boccherini used 2 cellos, Mozart 2 violas. In the latter's quintet arrangement of Eine Kleine etc he used a bass. The spice of life and all that!

ADDED: Eybler used a bass too, thus violin, 2 violas, cello, bass. Makes a lovely texture.

Florestan

Quote from: chasmaniac on January 10, 2012, 04:46:31 AM
Boccherini used 2 cellos, Mozart 2 violas.

The favorite instrument of each, IIRC.  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: chasmaniac on January 10, 2012, 04:46:31 AM
I find the variety of classical era string quintet lineups interesting. Boccherini used 2 cellos, Mozart 2 violas.

That's the variety, right there : )  Thus you read at times of Mozart's as viola quintets (string quartet plus [extra] viola), or Boccherini's cello quintets (you get the drill).

I should be surprised is there was much play for a quintet consisting of three violins, one each of viola and cello . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot