Gurn's Classical Corner

Started by Gurn Blanston, February 22, 2009, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Connie

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 17, 2012, 07:10:58 AM
Your comments are most welcome. The Brilliant price has induced me to plunk, so I'll hear it for myself soon enough. I have no problem with Oort's Haydn, so he doesn't worry me. And I am not looking for pseudo-Schubert, just some room-sized melody sung well with a fortepiano comp. Odds are I'll enjoy. Cheers!

Odds are indeed that you will enjoy.  I would only warn you - and unfortunately I'm not able to check just now - that on my (older-edition) pressing, there's one song listed in the booklet that is not actually present on the disc!  As I recall the way to figure out which one is, pop the CD in your computer and look at the contents listed on iTunes (or whatever), and compare them to the printed paper.  They don't match.  Maybe this reissue pressing has fixed that; if so, ignore this paragraph.  (I have it marked on my booklet; but I'm not at home just at the moment to check for you!)

Another point of interest for me at least is the presence on the disc of two composers who are sometimes confused one for the other, to the extent that anybody knows them at all:  Anton Rössler (a.k.a. Antonio Rosetti), the one I'm so enamored of, who died in 1792; and Jan Josef Rösler, no relation, who died in 1813.  Allegedly, the Requiem written by Rössler-Rosetti, which had been played at Mozart's memorial in Prague in 1791, was also played at J.J.Rösler's funeral.  A charming story to link the two men, assuming it's true.

chasmaniac

Quote from: Uncle Connie on April 17, 2012, 09:10:26 AM
Odds are indeed that you will enjoy.  I would only warn you - and unfortunately I'm not able to check just now - that on my (older-edition) pressing, there's one song listed in the booklet that is not actually present on the disc!  As I recall the way to figure out which one is, pop the CD in your computer and look at the contents listed on iTunes (or whatever), and compare them to the printed paper.  They don't match.  Maybe this reissue pressing has fixed that; if so, ignore this paragraph.  (I have it marked on my booklet; but I'm not at home just at the moment to check for you!)

Another point of interest for me at least is the presence on the disc of two composers who are sometimes confused one for the other, to the extent that anybody knows them at all:  Anton Rössler (a.k.a. Antonio Rosetti), the one I'm so enamored of, who died in 1792; and Jan Josef Rösler, no relation, who died in 1813.  Allegedly, the Requiem written by Rössler-Rosetti, which had been played at Mozart's funeral in 1791, was also played at J.J.Rösler's.  A charming story to link the two men, assuming it's true.

An amazonist notes the missing track as #13 out of 23 listed. Be interesting to see if it's still in hiding.

As to Antonio Rosetti, here is what I know -

[asin]B000001RZZ[/asin]

and it's a fine disc.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Leon

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 17, 2012, 02:57:14 AM
Pichl's string trios. Solid set here. Well played, clear, and the historischen Instrumenten have a muscular sound I quite enjoy.

[asin]B000005SBW[/asin]

I am listening to this right now on Spotify - very nice.  Nothing like instant gratification.

:)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Arnold on April 17, 2012, 09:42:56 AM
I am listening to this right now on Spotify - very nice.  Nothing like instant gratification.

Good on ya!  :)
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Uncle Connie

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 17, 2012, 09:41:28 AM

As to Antonio Rosetti, here is what I know -

[asin]B000001RZZ[/asin]

and it's a fine disc.

Indeed it is.  Another fine one, unfortunately now OOP, is this:

by the Rösler who died in 1813.  Very similar style, both worth knowing.  At the moment apparently all you can get with this disc is an MP3 download - well, unless you want to go to Amazon.co.uk where there are two copies for about $60 each.  Maybe the answer is, keep on the lookout for someone selling it at a FAIR price....

chasmaniac

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 17, 2012, 07:17:38 AM
There's a melody on the second disc - I'll find it when I get home - that I KNOW I've heard elsewhere in classical rep, probably in another string trio or quartet. And I'd really like to i.d. that baby!

:-[ Found it. Pichl's op.7/5 Larghetto Romance and Titz's #5 in Dm from the 6 Quatuors of 1781 Rondo. THEY'RE NOT THE SAME. I'm a maroon. I'm an imbessle.

Uncle Connie

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 17, 2012, 04:04:04 PM
:-[ Found it. Pichl's op.7/5 Larghetto Romance and Titz's #5 in Dm from the 6 Quatuors of 1781 Rondo. THEY'RE NOT THE SAME. I'm a maroon. I'm an imbessle.

Oh, don't be so hard on yourself.  Just because you can't spel.

chasmaniac

Grétry's Sei Quartetti on Musica Ficta, played by the Quatuor Thaïs. Very pleasant. I tuck this among quartets composed in the French style. They please without attempting to edify or advance. Comparable to Gossec, Rigel, Lombardini, St. George.

[asin]B000EGEKMY[/asin]

There. I feel better now. And I can spel again!  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 18, 2012, 02:28:11 AM
Grétry's Sei Quartetti on Musica Ficta, played by the Quatuor Thaïs. Very pleasant. I tuck this among quartets composed in the French style. They please without attempting to edify or advance. Comparable to Gossec, Rigel, Lombardini, St. George.

[asin]B000EGEKMY[/asin]

There. I feel better now. And I can spel again!  :)

I don't know that I've heard much of Grétry's instrumental music. THis looks interesting, not least because I quite like that French quartet style, like the quatuors brillant. Interesting find, Chas. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Grétry remains to me only a charmingly obscure name I once read in a Poe short story.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

chasmaniac

Quote from: karlhenning on April 18, 2012, 04:38:21 AM
Grétry remains to me only a charmingly obscure name I once read in a Poe short story.

Best known for vocal music, I think, of which I've only heard his bit from Jean-Claude Malgoire's disc, Grands Motets pour Louis XVI:

[asin]B000F8MH8U[/asin]

Not the most fortunate of French kings with whom to be associated! And I don't remember anything about the musique!  :-[ (So much to hear, so little time to listen...)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 18, 2012, 04:22:49 AM
I don't know that I've heard much of Grétry's instrumental music. THis looks interesting, not least because I quite like that French quartet style, like the quatuors brillant. Interesting find, Chas. :)

Chas.. & Gurn - own nothing by Grétry (1741-1813), so that recording of SQs by a French (i.e. Belgium born) opera composer peaked my interest.  Doing a little searching, I found this short but informative Allmusic Review; apparently these works were composed early in the composer's life while studying in Italy while still in his 20s - so middle of the 18th century w/ the classical SQ developing but yet to reach maturity and likely w/ a more Italianate influence?

Yet, this disc still interests me for those very reasons as pointed out in the review - will be curious to read comments from others who have listened to this recording - :)

Leon

Interestingly, those Gretry quartets are on Spotify but by a different ensemble: Quatuor Via Nova: Jean Mouillière, Jean-Pierre Sabouret, Liviu Stanese, Jean-Marie Gamard

Good music and I always appreciate learning of a composer from my favorite period that is new to me.

Uncle Connie

Quote from: karlhenning on April 18, 2012, 04:38:21 AM

Minor Belgian composer best known for opera, remembered these days mainly for "Richard the Lion-Hearted" which Sherrill Milnes actually revived (don't know if he recorded it though) a couple of decades ago.  I recall coming across a review of Gretry's reputation for somewhat weak musicianship containing a fabulous line which I can only quote approximately:  "Between his treble and his bass lines you can easily drive a coach and six horses...."

A couple of his overtures are fun as pot-boilers rather in the manner of, say, Boieldieu. 

I'll be most interested in a report on these quartets - are they in fact any good, or just charming French tunes and no substance.

chasmaniac

Quote from: Uncle Connie on April 19, 2012, 05:28:51 AMI'll be most interested in a report on these quartets - are they in fact any good, or just charming French tunes and no substance.

Without getting all Kritische about "substance": they're definitely shallow. But that's fine by me.

Uncle Connie

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 19, 2012, 10:02:56 AM
Without getting all Kritische about "substance": they're definitely shallow. But that's fine by me.

Oh, nothing at all wrong with shallow, I've got tons of that sitting on my shelves.  It's wonderful for playing while doing things that preclude concentrating on the music too much.  Elevator music without the elevator? 

But there's pleasant (or useful) shallow, and then there's utter tripe shallow.  And I think you answered in which group you place these, by your "that's fine" comment.     

SonicMan46

Well arrived today and just did a first listen and enjoyed! :)

Pichl, Vaclav (1741-1805) - String Trios, Op. 7, N. 1-6 (2-discs) w/ Ensemble Agora; my set is stated to be on the Fermate label rather than the one shown below on Audite (apparently the two merged and are using the latter name, so same recording).

Pichl was a virtuoso violinst who arrived in Vienna in 1769, and apparently impressed Maria Theresia, who recommended him to a post in Milan; thus, an Italian interlude until his return to Vienna where he died in 1805.  As expected, string chamber music was a large part of his output, and his compositions include 18 SQs, 15 String Duos (violin & viola), 45 String Trios, and likely more?  Little of his work is available on Amazon and I assume much remains unrecorded (and/or lost?), unfortunately.

I've not heard this group of musicians before but the playing is beautifully done on presumably 'historic instruments' (no description is in the booklet, so not sure about the instruments used relative to their age/restoration/etc., the type of stings & bows, nor the techniques used?).  The music is well worth hearing and will please those who enjoy classical chamber works w/ strings - NOW, where are some of those other compositions listed -  ::)  :D

Uncle Connie

Today's arrival is this, which is very much in the period covered on this thread:

[asin]B000002ZI1[/asin]

contains a well-known Boccherini thing and complete unknowns by Pierre Van Maldere, Friedrich Schwindl and Samuel Wesley.

I bought it specifically for the g minor Sinfonia by Pierre Van Maldere (Flemish, 1729-68).  Not great, but a minor discovery and it fits right in with my "special exploration" of the classical Symphony in g minor, one of the most striking of the Sturm und Drang key signatures.  (Haydn 39, Mozart 25/40, a couple of real gems by Vanhal, etc.)  This is number 31 that I've managed to scour, ranging from Sammartini to a couple of minor people in the first decade of the 1800s.  (By then, the Sturm und Drang had largely dissipated, so I didn't go further.) 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Uncle Connie on April 23, 2012, 05:27:44 PM
Today's arrival is this, which is very much in the period covered on this thread:

contains a well-known Boccherini thing and complete unknowns by Pierre Van Maldere, Friedrich Schwindl and Samuel Wesley.

I bought it specifically for the g minor Sinfonia by Pierre Van Maldere (Flemish, 1729-68).  Not great, but a minor discovery and it fits right in with my "special exploration" of the classical Symphony in g minor, one of the most striking of the Sturm und Drang key signatures.  (Haydn 39, Mozart 25/40, a couple of real gems by Vanhal, etc.)  This is number 31 that I've managed to scour, ranging from Sammartini to a couple of minor people in the first decade of the 1800s.  (By then, the Sturm und Drang had largely dissipated, so I didn't go further.)

Looked good enough to buy, Conrad, so I did out of curiosity as much as anything. I have read about Schwindl a few times, so I was wanting to hear something by him.

I agree about the interesting works in g minor. At some point you might be amenable to posting a list of the ones you have; never know what others might show up along the way... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 17, 2012, 03:34:30 AM

Arrived not as pictured. I have the rerelease after all, alas! Have listened to it 2.5 times since yesterday and it is utterly gorgeous, the interspersal of forms and textures, voices and instruments, extremely effective.

Questions. What is an "esquisse", other than "sketch"? Can it mean "fragment"? KV484b and e are not on the Wikipedia list of K numbers, so I don't know what these pieces are about or part of.

Isn't the Kegelstatt something else? Wow.