Segerstam- Symphony No.151 (out of 215 so far)

Started by Sean, February 22, 2009, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on May 03, 2016, 10:45:50 AM
I marvel that he can keep them straight, himself.  (I mean, assuming for the sake of argument that he does.)

Hmm...well, he seems to know how many are composed in one summer at least!

From 16 years ago:

Quote"How does one get in touch with the Guinness Book of Records people?" ponders the 56-year-old conductor. "Has anyone composed 22 symphonies in a year before this?" Segerstam is highly regarded on the conductor's podium, but his compositions do not enjoy quite the same undivided appreciation. He has nevertheless managed to get his music across quite well in the concerts he conducts.

"My newest symphonies are performed without a conductor. In this way I can pass up my conducting fees when these works are performed", he says.
In recent years
the response of the public, the music critics, and the record companies towards Segerstam's work has not been altogether negative.
0:) 0:) 0:)

See:

http://www2.hs.fi/english/archive/news.asp?id=20000811xx3
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Pushing that left-handed compliment envelope! has not been altogether negative . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: karlhenning on May 04, 2016, 07:18:49 AM
Pushing that left-handed compliment envelope! has not been altogether negative . . . .

Should we have a poll on "what is your least altogether negative" Segerstam symphony?

Personally, I feel less negative towards 174 than I do about 207, but it's a toss up between 115 and 198.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Cato

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 04, 2016, 07:31:04 AM
Should we have a poll on "what is your least altogether negative" Segerstam symphony?

Personally, I feel less negative towards 174 than I do about 207, but it's a toss up between 115 and 198.

Hmm, so the overall trend is down?  $:) 8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: karlhenning on May 03, 2016, 10:45:50 AM
I marvel that he can keep them straight, himself.  (I mean, assuming for the sake of argument that he does.)
It is going to be fun when he gets old and senile. Did I write that one already? Oh wait, maybe not...

snyprrr

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 04, 2016, 07:31:04 AM

Seriously, I'm sure there's SOMETHING interesting in the BIS series which seems to pick Symphonies between the 7- 27 range, very "early" (1980s). Maybe I just feel the need to stick up for Leiflief: I'm sure there's a Cosmic Gem there that would put Feldman to shame... but none of those discs are cheap enough to encourage a go.

Why not some of you money bags to the dirty work???? tap tap atp