Baseball

Started by Iago, May 26, 2007, 10:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iago

Today was a VERY GOOD DAY.
The Mets won, the Braves lost, The Red Sox won, and the Yankees lost.
That's the stuff that dreams are made of.
Where are all the boastful, blathering Yankee fans?
Your 26 World Championships which you so proudly flaunt in the faces of the fans of other teams, mean absolutely NOTHING when your team sucks so badly.  And THIS year, they REALLY SUCK!
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

mahlertitan

Quote from: Iago on May 26, 2007, 10:35:09 PM
Today was a VERY GOOD DAY.
The Mets won, the Braves lost, The Red Sox won, and the Yankees lost.
That's the stuff that dreams are made of.
Where are all the boastful, blathering Yankee fans?
Your 26 World Championships which you so proudly flaunt in the faces of the fans of other teams, mean absolutely NOTHING when your team sucks so badly.  And THIS year, they REALLY SUCK!

yep, hate those Yankees, although i am still anxious about the addition of Clemens.

Mozart

Your quite right, today was a good day. The dodgers lost and the Padres won, and they are tied in the west. Peavy tommorow, we have a good chance to win again.

Szykneij

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 26, 2007, 10:47:46 PM
yep, hate those Yankees, although i am still anxious about the addition of Clemens.

The Red Sox win extends their first place lead to 11 1/2 games over the second place Blue Jays and 12 1/2 games over the fourth place Yankees. Meanwhile, the Yankee savior, Roger Clemens, was getting roughed up by the Portland Sea Dogs (Boston's Double-A minor league affiliate), giving up six hits and three earned runs while walking four, uncorking a wild pitch, hitting a batter and taking 30 pitches to get out of the first inning. This disappointing showing will delay Clemens pitching for the big club as well as drawing on his $28 million pro-rated salary. Despite the big bucks the Yankees think he's worth, the possibility of Clemens making his first start against the Red Sox next week is slim as Joe Torre likened making Roger pitch at Fenway to piling on in football. (I guess they don't want to stress the big guy out). In spite of that, Derek Jeter still praised Clemens, saying  "He's always competing. He likes the big game, so that can rub off on some people."  Do the Yankee players, with the highest payroll in professional sports, really need a 44-year old pitcher to show them how to play hard? If they do, Iago has understated their situation.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

oyasumi

yeah the yankees never end up winning the division in the end

Iago

Quote from: oyasumi on May 27, 2007, 03:11:05 PM
yeah the yankees never end up winning the division in the end

Not THIS YEAR, buster.
Not even a "wild card"
The Yankee season will end on the last day of the regular season.
That is, if it hasn't ALREADY ended?

Robert

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 26, 2007, 10:47:46 PM
Doesn't mean a thing....This has been a problem for the Yankees for years.  NO PITCHING....Cashman is looking for pitchers over 40 instead of under 20....

Mozart

Is it too early to predict a cy young? Peavy is pitching amazing! 7-1 and like 1.4 era. The cubs and dodgers went to extra innings but the cubs couldnt take it so its still tied in the west.

Szykneij

Quote from: Mozart on May 27, 2007, 04:31:56 PM
Is it too early to predict a cy young? Peavy is pitching amazing! 7-1 and like 1.4 era. The cubs and dodgers went to extra innings but the cubs couldnt take it so its still tied in the west.

Certainly a most worthy candidate, especially if the Padres make the post-season.

I used to have one of these. Not a good candidate for any award.  :( 

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

George

Quote from: Szykniej on May 27, 2007, 02:54:48 PM
The Red Sox win extends their first place lead to 11 1/2 games over the second place Blue Jays and 12 1/2 games over the fourth place Yankees. Meanwhile, the Yankee savior, Roger Clemens, was getting roughed up by the Portland Sea Dogs (Boston's Double-A minor league affiliate), giving up six hits and three earned runs while walking four, uncorking a wild pitch, hitting a batter and taking 30 pitches to get out of the first inning. This disappointing showing will delay Clemens pitching for the big club as well as drawing on his $28 million pro-rated salary. Despite the big bucks the Yankees think he's worth, the possibility of Clemens making his first start against the Red Sox next week is slim as Joe Torre likened making Roger pitch at Fenway to piling on in football. (I guess they don't want to stress the big guy out). In spite of that, Derek Jeter still praised Clemens, saying  "He's always competing. He likes the big game, so that can rub off on some people."  Do the Yankee players, with the highest payroll in professional sports, really need a 44-year old pitcher to show them how to play hard? If they do, Iago has understated their situation.

Quote from: Iago on May 27, 2007, 04:10:24 PM
Not THIS YEAR, buster.
Not even a "wild card"
The Yankee season will end on the last day of the regular season.
That is, if it hasn't ALREADY ended?

It truly is the year of the Red Sox.

Color me happy!!!!!!! >:D

mahlertitan

Quote from: Robert on May 27, 2007, 04:17:02 PM
Doesn't mean a thing....This has been a problem for the Yankees for years.  NO PITCHING....Cashman is looking for pitchers over 40 instead of under 20....
i agree, their pitching sucks, it's going to take not one but multiple miracles for them to make a comeback this year.
because of this, i am extremely happy ;D

George

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 27, 2007, 05:23:49 PM
i agree, their pitching sucks, it's going to take not one but multiple miracles for them to make a comeback this year.
because of this, i am extremely happy ;D

Let's have a party!!!!  :D

PerfectWagnerite

For some reason I don't hate the Yanks as a Mets fan. Sure ARod is a phoney, and Abreu is a bum, but I really do respect guys like Jeter, Posada, Mariano and Pettite. If the Mets had Mariano instead of Benitez they might have won in 1999 or 2000. It is kinda sad to see the demise of an aging team like the Yanks. It kinda makes me think about the Mets in 1990 and 1991 when they had aging guys like Howard Johnson and Kevin McReynolds.

mahlertitan

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 27, 2007, 05:46:17 PM
For some reason I don't hate the Yanks as a Mets fan. Sure ARod is a phoney, and Abreu is a bum, but I really do respect guys like Jeter, Posada, Mariano and Pettite. If the Mets had Mariano instead of Benitez they might have won in 1999 or 2000. It is kinda sad to see the demise of an aging team like the Yanks. It kinda makes me think about the Mets in 1990 and 1991 when they had aging guys like Howard Johnson and Kevin McReynolds.

Josh Phelps is a douchebag, did any of you catch the cheap shot he took on Kenji Johjima?

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 27, 2007, 08:05:11 PM
Josh Phelps is a douchebag, did any of you catch the cheap shot he took on Kenji Johjima?

Yeah, I saw that. A cheap shot if there ever was one. No wonder they beaned him afterwards. But the Yankees who have won are all respectable. Can you honestly hate Mariano or Posada. Jeter sometimes I have a problem with simply because he is just overexposed (like in too many commercials). But going back to the days Tino, Paul O'neil, Brosius, were all gentlemen.

Szykneij

Summertime is baseball time, and there is no sport better suited to radio broadcasts. Relaxing at night on my deck, drinking a cold lemonade and listening to the sound of crickets and baseball play-by-play is a great way to unwind. The younger members of this board probably can't conceive of a time before computers, cable TV and satellite radio when AM radio was king. I used to love cruising in my car at night and tuning in the far-off stations that became available when the evening atmosphere allowed signals to bounce and skip great distances. I recently had my Sony ICF-2010 receiver (a long-time favorite of DXers) repaired and modified for increased sensitivity. From where I sit just outside of Boston, I can now receive the following stations most nights as clear as a bell, giving me nine Major League Baseball home broadcasts to choose from:

WFAN 660 New York - Mets
WRKO 680 Boston - Red Sox
WLW  700 Cinncinnati - Reds
WGN  720 Chicago - Cubs
WSKO 790 Providence - Yankees
WCBS 880 New York - Yankees
WBAL 1090 Baltimore - Orioles
WTAM 1100 Cleveland - Indians
WPHT 1210 Philadelphia - Phillies
WTWP 1500 Washington, D.C. - Nationals

The quality and reliability of these broadcasts isn't what I'd get from satellite radio or online streaming, but for me it's more fun and it's free. Does anyone else share my penchant for baseball on the airwaves?

mahlertitan

Quote from: Szykniej on May 28, 2007, 12:22:13 PM
Summertime is baseball time, and there is no sport better suited to radio broadcasts. Relaxing at night on my deck, drinking a cold lemonade and listening to the sound of crickets and baseball play-by-play is a great way to unwind. The younger members of this board probably can't conceive of a time before computers, cable TV and satellite radio when AM radio was king. I used to love cruising in my car at night and tuning in the far-off stations that became available when the evening atmosphere allowed signals to bounce and skip great distances. I recently had my Sony ICF-2010 receiver (a long-time favorite of DXers) repaired and modified for increased sensitivity. From where I sit just outside of Boston, I can now receive the following stations most nights as clear as a bell, giving me nine Major League Baseball home broadcasts to choose from:

WFAN 660 New York - Mets
WRKO 680 Boston - Red Sox
WLW  700 Cinncinnati - Reds
WGN  720 Chicago - Cubs
WSKO 790 Providence - Yankees
WCBS 880 New York - Yankees
WBAL 1090 Baltimore - Orioles
WTAM 1100 Cleveland - Indians
WPHT 1210 Philadelphia - Phillies
WTWP 1500 Washington, D.C. - Nationals

The quality and reliability of these broadcasts isn't what I'd get from satellite radio or online streaming, but for me it's more fun and it's free. Does anyone else share my penchant for baseball on the airwaves?

isn't there a service where you can watch any baseball game from anywhere via the internet?

Iago

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 28, 2007, 01:34:42 PM
isn't there a service where you can watch any baseball game from anywhere via the internet?
There certainly is. But it isn't free. Go to MLB.COM for particulars.
$89.95 for a yearly subscription.

Mozart

The Padres pitching staff is amazing! We have the best pitching in baseball.

Michel

Quote from: Iago on May 28, 2007, 03:55:18 PM
There certainly is. But it isn't free. Go to MLB.COM for particulars.
$89.95 for a yearly subscription.

I used to do this, and can vouch for the fact that it is great - although I also enjoy listening to baseball a great deal on the radio, esp wih Joe Morgan. :)

I am a great fan of baseball, though...Go Giants!