Baseball

Started by Iago, May 26, 2007, 10:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

Quote from: bwv 1080 on September 12, 2018, 03:18:09 PM
No fans here?

The postseason is shaping up, with the best three, maybe four teams in the AL, hard to see that the WS will be as thrilling as last year

But the thing about baseball is, anybody can beat anybody in a given series.

Even my Dodgers, a team starring Mickey Hatcher, Hamilton (or Tracy Woodson), Alfredo Griffin, etc., and a starting lineup that hit less than 30 HRs all year, beat the mighty A's.

Come post season, anything is possible as long as you get there.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

bwv 1080

Quote from: springrite on September 12, 2018, 10:10:02 PM
But the thing about baseball is, anybody can beat anybody in a given series.

Even my Dodgers, a team starring Mickey Hatcher, Hamilton (or Tracy Woodson), Alfredo Griffin, etc., and a starting lineup that hit less than 30 HRs all year, beat the mighty A's.

Come post season, anything is possible as long as you get there.

True, but its long odds for the NL. The likely NY-OAK AL wildcard will be interesting

Szykneij

Time to resurrect this thread!

My Red Sox play tonight against the Tampa Bay Rays in the American League Division Series. Tampa is the logical favorite, but I think Boston is going to surprise.

After a great first half and an aggravating rollercoaster ride after the All-Star break, the Sox beat the Yankees in the wildcard round to advance to the ALDS. It was very satisfying watching them beat New York and seeing the Yankees make a couple of big baserunning blunders. Giancarlo Stanton thought he hit a home run so he stood and watched as the ball hit the left field wall (probably the farthest anyone hit a single all year). Then, Aaron Judge got thrown out at the plate on another Stanton hit, the biggest play of the game.

Hopefully, the Sox can keep it rolling.

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

ando

Quote from: Szykneij on October 07, 2021, 01:10:41 PMTime to resurrect this thread!

My Red Sox play tonight against the Tampa Bay Rays in the American League Division Series. Tampa is the logical favorite, but I think Boston is going to surprise.

After a great first half and an aggravating rollercoaster ride after the All-Star break, the Sox beat the Yankees in the wildcard round to advance to the ALDS. It was very satisfying watching them beat New York and seeing the Yankees make a couple of big baserunning blunders. Giancarlo Stanton thought he hit a home run so he stood and watched as the ball hit the left field wall (probably the farthest anyone hit a single all year). Then, Aaron Judge got thrown out at the plate on another Stanton hit, the biggest play of the game.

Hopefully, the Sox can keep it rolling.
Come back, come back! Even a Red Sox fan is better than none.  ;)

My Yankess and Mets have both had miserable seasons. Mets traded away any hopes of a post seasons for at least five years (imo). Not sure exactly how the mess in the Bronx can be fixed. Frankly, it mirrored my fantasy season which was the worst since I started playing some ten years ago (immediate family issues had me unfocused on sport in general).

So now, since I'm back in The Delaware Valley, I guess I'm rooting for The Phillies. Oi. What a world.  ;D

They ARE at at Citi Field this weekend and I'm dragging a couple of disgruntled Mets die-hards for the season finale. Should be fun.

Szykneij

Quote from: ando on September 25, 2023, 12:32:13 PMCome back, come back! Even a Red Sox fan is better than none.  ;)

My Yankess and Mets have both had miserable seasons. Mets traded away any hopes of a post seasons for at least five years (imo). Not sure exactly how the mess in the Bronx can be fixed. Frankly, it mirrored my fantasy season which was the worst since I started playing some ten years ago (immediate family issues had me unfocused on sport in general).

So now, since I'm back in The Delaware Valley, I guess I'm rooting for The Phillies. Oi. What a world.  ;D

They ARE at at Citi Field this weekend and I'm dragging a couple of disgruntled Mets die-hards for the season finale. Should be fun.

I've been a Red Sox fan for about 60 years, but I've moved on to football after a depressing final few months at Fenway. Even the fact the Yankees tanked, too, doesn't make me feel that much better. And on top of it, the Patriots lost their first two games before getting what seems to have become an automatic bye against the Jets.
  I'll probably be rooting for the Orioles. Baltimore is a great baseball town with a beautiful park, and the fans there haven't had much to cheer about in a very long time.
  Nice to see this thread resurrected. Iago, who started it, passed away a number of years ago. He was a real crusty poster, but he was a big baseball fan, so he that that going for him.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

ando

Orioles. Can't join you. Yankee loyalty. The Birds have had a beautiful season. Also loyal to the Nat East but have always loathed (though silently admired) the Braves teams over the years. Don't see them repeating the run they had w/Bobby Cox but their farm system (admittedly, from a distance) appears effective.

Can't stoop to buying Phillies gear, though I'm living back in the valley. I'll be sporting orange and blue this weekend with my weary Mets faithful.  :)

Szykneij

Quote from: ando on September 28, 2023, 11:41:35 PMI'll be sporting orange and blue this weekend with my weary Mets faithful.  :)

Loyalty is important. A true fan sticks with their team through good and bad.

When I was a kid, each league only had ten teams with the AL and NL first place finishers going to the World Series. There were no playoffs giving multiple teams a shot at the end of the season, so you usually knew your team wasn't going to be there and you rooted for them anyway. That's why the '67 Red Sox and '68 Mets were such a big deal.

Going to a game was a different experience than today. You were able to get in early to see batting practice, and it was fun to see the visiting greats come in (Harmon Killebrew, Al Kaline, Frank Howard, e.g.) and smack the ball over the left field wall. It was like the All Star Game home run derby before every game.

Even if the Sox were in last place and they won that day, it was great. If Yastrzemski or Conigliaro homered or you got to see Dick Radatz come in in relief, it was a bonus. And after the game, you could wait outside the fenced-in players parking lot and most would sign autographs for you before they drove themselves home.

Definitely a different world today.

vers la flamme

Quote from: ando on September 25, 2023, 12:32:13 PMCome back, come back! Even a Red Sox fan is better than none.  ;)

At least you're not a Cardinals fan  :(

As a recent transplant to NY I'm trying to decide which of the local teams to support, as I have historically hated both of them. I didn't know you could be a fan of both ;D

I lived in Atlanta for 5 years but never became a Braves fan, but can't help but admire the season they're having right now.

Mapman

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 29, 2023, 03:52:44 AMAs a recent transplant to NY I'm trying to decide which of the local teams to support, as I have historically hated both of them. I didn't know you could be a fan of both ;D

The obvious team to support is the Yankees. (Note: I am a Phillies fan  :laugh: )

After a rough decade, it's nice to have an exciting Phillies team again.

ando

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 29, 2023, 03:52:44 AMI didn't know you could be a fan of both ;D
Grew up during the Billy Martin led Munson/Jackson/Nettles/Pinella et al. era. Priceless memories of the old Yankee Stadium days.

Left home, went to Rutgers and became a Mets fan (roommates, new friends, college campus - all Mets faithful). Haven't really turned back since. Except when I see my Pop and gift him with some new pinstripe paraphernalia.  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ando on September 29, 2023, 06:57:21 AMGrew up during the Billy Martin led Munson/Jackson/Nettles/Pinella et al. era. Priceless memories of the old Yankee Stadium days.

Left home, went to Rutgers and became a Mets fan (roommates, new friends, college campus - all Mets faithful). Haven't really turned back since. Except when I see my Pop and gift him with some new pinstripe paraphernalia.  ;D
Remember the days of:  "You're fired!"  "You're hired!" [Rinse and repeat.]?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ando

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 29, 2023, 12:36:19 PMRemember the days of:  "You're fired!"  "You're hired!" [Rinse and repeat.]?

PD
Haha. Yep. Beyond the Yanks Martin never intrigued me but this SportsCentury episode revealed a number things I never knew about him.

ando

Wow, after a great doubleheader yesterday at Citi just learned we'll be losing Buck Showalter today. Not that surprised. This was supposed to be a banner year for the Mets.

Expected Texas to be in the postseason but also hoped Seattle would be there, too.

BWV 1080

The Stros back in their God-ordained spot on top of the AL West

ando

Quote from: BWV 1080 on October 01, 2023, 04:17:42 PMThe Stros back in their God-ordained spot on top of the AL West
Haven't really followed them since the Killer B days (save the cheating scandal). They're fun to watch if you've no skin in the game, though.

vers la flamme

Is there any way to watch the playoffs without having cable (legally)?

ando

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 03, 2023, 01:02:38 PMIs there any way to watch the playoffs without having cable (legally)?
Yep.

I stick with [redacted] (not legal) but will catch Thursday, Friday and weekend games on Prime, Appletv and Paramount+ when they air them.

ando

Now, Top o the 8th with Rangers still on top, 4-0. Not worried about Texas. But I AM about The Phillies, which are my team in the playoffs. Wish they were facing Atlanta instead of the Marlins (may happen down the road) tonight but one team at a time.  :)

San Antone

Since the Yankees are not in it, I'll root for the Rangers.  I lived in Dallas for a while, and my adult kids live there still.  Plus I grew up 180 miles away in Shreveport, Louisiana - so, the Rangers are a natural fit for me.

Plus I'd like to see a team who never has, win the Series.

vers la flamme

Quote from: ando on October 03, 2023, 01:15:12 PMYep.

I stick with [redacted] (not legal) but will catch Thursday, Friday and weekend games on Prime, Appletv and Paramount+ when they air them.

Thanks! Caught the second half of the Rays/Rangers game on Sling.