The Greatest Recording Ever Made: 8th Prelim. Poll

Started by SurprisedByBeauty, May 17, 2018, 10:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these recordings would you consider a potentially a candidate for "The Greatest Recording Ever Made"?

Bach, Organ Works, Karl Richter, DG
3 (9.7%)
Wagner, T&I, Furtwangler, EMI
8 (25.8%)
Beethoven, Violin Concerto, Zehetmair, Brugen, Philips
6 (19.4%)
Mozart Mass in C minor/Leppard
2 (6.5%)
Stravinsky: Rite of the Spring, Lenny, Sony (1958)
4 (12.9%)
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2, Richter, DG
7 (22.6%)
The Scarlatti Sonatas, Scott Ross, Erato
7 (22.6%)
North German organ music, Leonhardt (Sony/Vivarte)
4 (12.9%)
Weber, Freischuetz, Kleiber, DG
5 (16.1%)
Bach Die Kunst der Fuge [organ] Rogg (EMI)
1 (3.2%)
Beethoven, Triple Concerto, Richter, Oistrakh, Slava, HvK, EMI
3 (9.7%)
Mozart Zauberflöte, Klemperer (EMI)
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

SurprisedByBeauty

I'm taking recordings from a variety of composers off the "Nomination" list and let them get at each other to see which ones you might think could be considered having TGREM-status. Some records with inconclusive voting records may re-appear to be voted upon again. If you are wondering what this is about... it's discussed in the thread that this poll belongs to.

You have three votes.  But you need not use all three, if you think that there aren't three to merit inclusion.

Thanks for participating in this (perhaps silly) game. ("Research study", I like to call it.)

The other polls can be found here:

First Poll.
Second Poll.
Third Poll.
Fourth Poll.
Fifth Poll.
Sixth Poll.
Seventh Poll.

SurprisedByBeauty

Interesting that the Scarlatti-Cube is getting so much love. I'm honestly not sure if I might not disqualify it at some point, for being too much of a box... because this shifts the definition of the greatest RECORDING ever made more to the greatest recording ACHIEVEMENT. Jury's still out.

SurprisedByBeauty

Ah, HELL, this is evenly spread, except for the no-love Rogg AOTF.  ;D Gimme some clarity, voters.

Sammy

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on May 18, 2018, 10:42:30 AM
Interesting that the Scarlatti-Cube is getting so much love. I'm honestly not sure if I might not disqualify it at some point, for being too much of a box... because this shifts the definition of the greatest RECORDING ever made more to the greatest recording ACHIEVEMENT. Jury's still out.

Sure, after voting for it you might delete it.  I think decisions of this type should have been made much earlier in the proceedings.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Sammy on May 20, 2018, 11:07:29 AM
Sure, after voting for it you might delete it.  I think decisions of this type should have been made much earlier in the proceedings.

Don't worry too much about it. I'm not deleting anything.

Daverz

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Daverz on May 20, 2018, 02:30:20 PM
Glad to see the Klemperer getting some love.

Damn, that is surprising to me. This is a terrible poll... because now I'm getting all these recordings that I thought I didn't need but see other people loving. Probably that one, too, now.  :(  :D

ComposerOfAvantGarde

How does the Klemperer Zauberflöte hold up to some of the more recent recordings? I get the feeling that with Mozart there was more consistency with older recordings but some recent recordings are far more involved with drawing something particularly special from the dots on the page, making them sound better to me.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: jessop on May 20, 2018, 02:57:33 PM
How does the Klemperer Zauberflöte hold up to some of the more recent recordings? I get the feeling that with Mozart there was more consistency with older recordings but some recent recordings are far more involved with drawing something particularly special from the dots on the page, making them sound better to me.

Well, it has zero dialogue, for better or worse.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

springrite

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on May 20, 2018, 02:42:30 PM
Damn, that is surprising to me. This is a terrible poll... because now I'm getting all these recordings that I thought I didn't need but see other people loving. Probably that one, too, now.  :(  :D

It's also a surprised to be that a recording where all the principals seemed to be on different pages is in it. Oh well...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.