Wagner's Valhalla

Started by Greta, April 07, 2007, 08:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Haffner on February 14, 2008, 07:36:45 AM

She's an amazing Wagner singer, one of my favorites! She was a fantastic Sieglinde in Levine's Met.
Indeed she was. For all the talk about no suitable Siegfried and Brunnhilde nowadays, how about the lack of Siegmunds and Sieglindes out there. You best Siegmund nowadays is probably Placido Domingo. Sieglinde I don't know, I do know there are a lot of singers that have no business singing this role (just check out the Amsterdam Ring or the one on Naxos in Stuttgart and you'll know what I am talking about.

marvinbrown

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on February 15, 2008, 05:34:47 AM
Indeed she was. For all the talk about no suitable Siegfried and Brunnhilde nowadays, how about the lack of Siegmunds and Sieglindes out there. You best Siegmund nowadays is probably Placido Domingo. Sieglinde I don't know, I do know there are a lot of singers that have no business singing this role (just check out the Amsterdam Ring or the one on Naxos in Stuttgart and you'll know what I am talking about.

Domingo in a Wagnerian opera are you sure that is a good idea PW??

marvin

Haffner

Quote from: marvinbrown on February 15, 2008, 06:42:33 AM
  Domingo in a Wagnerian opera are you sure that is a good idea PW??

marvin

I've read great reviews concerning his Lohengrin and Tristan. But I am a big fan of Placido to begin with (love his Verdi in particular!).

PerfectWagnerite

Just throw aside your preconceptions and just listen:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mwKhngpN0dk

He  is the greatest Siegmund probably in the past 10 or 15 years. Nobody sings it with so much power and expression as he does.
(gotta love W. Meier as Sieglinde also, not the best of voices but boy a great actress).

Haffner

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on February 15, 2008, 06:59:55 AM

He  is the greatest Siegmund probably in the past 10 or 15 years. Nobody sings it with so much power and expression as he does.
(gotta love W. Meier as Sieglinde also, not the best of voices but boy a great actress).

Damn, this is good!

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Haffner on February 15, 2008, 07:05:07 AM

Damn, this is good!
No sh*t he is good.

Braut und Schwester, bist du den Bruder indeed !
You ever hear that high "A" on "Walsung" sung with such power ?

A couple of years ago I could have heard him at the MET singing this role.... Instead I got Clifton Forbis this year...a very good artist but hardly in the same class as Domingo.

marvinbrown

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on February 15, 2008, 06:59:55 AM

OK PW you win!  Are you happy now??

Powerfull very powerfull! I didn't know Domingo had in him to sing Wagner that well.

marvin

Haffner

Quote from: marvinbrown on February 15, 2008, 07:20:58 AM
  OK PW you win!  Are you happy now??

Powerfull very powerfull! I didn't know Domingo had in him to sing Wagner that well.

marvin

I'm really impressed, and I'll be checking out his Tristan and Lohengrin as well now.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Haffner on February 15, 2008, 07:31:24 AM

I'm really impressed, and I'll be checking out his Tristan and Lohengrin as well now.
If you are interested go to metopera.org and click on the link for Rhapsody and you get 25 free plays (you have to download the player). You can listen to a broadcast from 2005 of Domingo singing Siegmund with James Levine conducting. 25 free plays should get you through the entire 1st act and whatever other scenes Siegmund appear in. You also get the gleaming soprano of Deborah Voigt singing Sieglinde as a bonus. The quality of the audio is excellent.

Haffner

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on February 15, 2008, 07:36:13 AM
If you are interested go to metopera.org and click on the link for Rhapsody and you get 25 free plays (you have to download the player). You can listen to a broadcast from 2005 of Domingo singing Siegmund with James Levine conducting. 25 free plays should get you through the entire 1st act and whatever other scenes Siegmund appear in. You also get the gleaming soprano of Deborah Voigt singing Sieglinde as a bonus. The quality of the audio is excellent.

Hey thanks for the tip! I'm there, dude.

PerfectWagnerite

Sorry I don't want to belabor the point but watching Domingo and Meier in Die Walkuere again. THis is unreal, astonishingly good. You can tell it is good when the typically chatty La Scala audience is mouse quiet. Also when was the last time you hear R. Muti put in such a good performance at the pit? This guy is actually enjoying it as much as the audience.

Haffner

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on February 17, 2008, 05:58:39 PM
Also when was the last time you hear R. Muti put in such a good performance at the pit? This guy is actually enjoying it as much as the audience.

I do have a really good Cosi Fan Tutte with Muti conducting in what I believe is the same pit. Live dvde, and a good one. But now I want the Domingo Walkure!

I spent hours upon hours this month checking out the Krauss vs. the Karajan vs. the Solti Die Walkure. Lucky I've had members here help me to obtain the HvK and Krauss (terrific recordings and performances!).

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Haffner on February 18, 2008, 02:50:16 AM

I do have a really good Cosi Fan Tutte with Muti conducting in what I believe is the same pit. Live dvde, and a good one. But now I want the Domingo Walkure!

I spent hours upon hours this month checking out the Krauss vs. the Karajan vs. the Solti Die Walkure. Lucky I've had members here help me to obtain the HvK and Krauss (terrific recordings and performances!).
The Krauss is okay. I suppose they can never make it sound all that great (the Gala and the new Opera D'oro sound almost the same to me)  and has some really sloppy orchestal execution moments (the prelude to Act III is a total mess). BUT the best Siegmund ever Ramon Vinay is worth the set alone.

Haffner

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on February 18, 2008, 02:40:53 PM
BUT the best Siegmund ever Ramon Vinay is worth the set alone.

Love the Krauss! And I'm completely with you on the Vinay...the guy was a MONSTER. But my favorite Act I is the Karajan. You hate me.

uffeviking

Quote from: Haffner on February 18, 2008, 02:50:16 AM

But now I want the Domingo Walkure!

So do I! PerfectWagnerite, where did you get the Muti/La Scala/Domingo DVD? I searched for it and could not find it. Be a sweetheart, please and share with us!  :-*

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: uffeviking on February 18, 2008, 08:43:35 PM
So do I! PerfectWagnerite, where did you get the Muti/La Scala/Domingo DVD? I searched for it and could not find it. Be a sweetheart, please and share with us!  :-*
Who me??? I don't have it. I just gave a link to where you can see it on youtube. If it is out there I would be the first lining up to buy it. The picture and sound looks too good to be a pirate. I was hoping you might know since you are much more knowledgeable about operas on dvd.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Haffner on February 18, 2008, 03:23:14 PM

Love the Krauss! And I'm completely with you on the Vinay...the guy was a MONSTER. But my favorite Act I is the Karajan. You hate me.
That one is pretty good too, except Janowitz is the wrong voice for the role. Sorry, Janowitz has a loveley voice, but much too light for the role. She is much better as Eva in Meistersinger for example. IF you like Vickers he has a much better partner in Gre Brouwenstijn in the Leinsdorf Walkuere.

Haffner

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on February 19, 2008, 03:35:40 AM
IF you like Vickers he has a much better partner in Gre Brouwenstijn in the Leinsdorf Walkuere.

oooOOOOOOoooo!

PSmith08

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on February 19, 2008, 03:35:40 AM
That one is pretty good too, except Janowitz is the wrong voice for the role. Sorry, Janowitz has a loveley voice, but much too light for the role. She is much better as Eva in Meistersinger for example. IF you like Vickers he has a much better partner in Gre Brouwenstijn in the Leinsdorf Walkuere.

I would agree about the Leinsdorf Walküre, which doesn't get nearly enough 'face-time.'

knight66

I bought the Leinsdorf recently; pretty good. I am a Vickers fan and I prefer this version of Act 1 to Karajan's; as the latter mauls some of the tempi. Also, in the later acts, I prefer Nilsson to Crespin; mind you, I prefer Foster-Jenkins to Crespin. I have never been able to 'get' her.

I still enjoy the Karajan version a lot and would never get rid of it. The Leinsdorf is, I agree, underrated.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.