Wagner's Valhalla

Started by Greta, April 07, 2007, 08:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSmith08

Quote from: Wendell_E on May 22, 2008, 02:32:32 AM
It's also at amazon.com: Link

I'm tempted.  The only recording in the set I have is the Böhm Tristan.

I am now pretty sure that if I traveled two months into the future, I'd find that I bought the set.

Kullervo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 20, 2008, 04:10:21 AM
Here's an incredible bargain for the Wagner neophyte...or any Wagnerian interested in one or more of these performances from Bayreuth (recordings between 1961-1985): ten operas, 33 CDs for €40, including the '66 Böhm Tristan and Ring. I might get it just for the super-slow Levine Parsifal which I've never heard.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/1925450

Sarge

:o Wow! Do you know if libretti are included?

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Corey on May 22, 2008, 07:23:23 AM
:o Wow! Do you know if libretti are included?
Are you kidding me? Of course NOT ! But if you are a diehard Wagnerian you should have the text to most of the operas (like Ring, Tristan, and Parsifal memorized already).

I ordered it from Amazon France a few weeks ago and the expected delivery date is like the end of June or something. Including shipping it costs about $60 which is about the same price you can get it at Amazon U.S. I guess but a few weeks ago Amazon U.S. doesn't have it.

Kullervo

Well, as I've yet to hear an entire Wagner opera, I'd think it be a bit of a stretch to call me a Wagnerian. :D The box seemed  like a cheap alternative to collecting separate recordings of each opera, but as there are no libretti, I think I will take the long way 'round.

PSmith08

Quote from: Corey on May 22, 2008, 07:58:38 AM
Well, as I've yet to hear an entire Wagner opera, I'd think it be a bit of a stretch to call me a Wagnerian. :D The box seemed  like a cheap alternative to collecting separate recordings of each opera, but as there are no libretti, I think I will take the long way 'round.

The libretti are freely and abundantly available on the mighty Interweb or, for a nominal fee, in book form.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Corey on May 22, 2008, 07:58:38 AM

Corey seeing as how you are new to Wagner I'd start with the Levine MET Ring on DVD.  Remember those operas were meant to be seen.  After repeated viewing you should start to link the music with the plot without the need for a libretto.  Then you can sit back, set your stereo volume on full blast and listen to the shear power, the phenomenal power of the SOLTI Ring on CD  0:). Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it  0:).

marvin

MN Dave

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 22, 2008, 08:06:28 AM
 Corey seeing as how you are new to Wagner I'd start with the Levine MET Ring on DVD.  Remember those operas were meant to be seen.  After repeated viewing you should start to link the music with the plot without the need for a libretto.  Then you can sit back, set your stereo volume on full blast and listen to the shear power, the phenomenal power of the SOLTI Ring on CD  0:). Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it  0:).

marvin

Have you ever noticed that Marvin likes Wagner?  ;D

marvinbrown

Quote from: MN Dave on May 22, 2008, 08:10:48 AM

;D 

marvin

PSmith08

Quote from: MN Dave on May 22, 2008, 08:10:48 AM

Now that you mention it, I think MB does like Wagner.

Of course, he does the neophytes no favors by shilling the Solti Ring when Keilberth's Testament set from the 1955 Festspiele is so seductive and so available. Now, the real Solti connoisseurs know that the 1983 Tetralogy from Bayreuth is the one to 'find.' Peter Hall's staging might have flopped, but Solti's orchestral approach is even better than his Decca set - with the Bayreuth band and acoustic to boot. I'm hoping that Orfeo or Testament will get the rights to it for an official release.

marvinbrown

Quote from: PSmith08 on May 22, 2008, 08:21:04 AM
Now that you mention it, I think MB does like Wagner.

Of course, he does the neophytes no favors by shilling the Solti Ring when Keilberth's Testament set from the 1955 Festspiele is so seductive and so available. Now, the real Solti connoisseurs know that the 1983 Tetralogy from Bayreuth is the one to 'find.' Peter Hall's staging might have flopped, but Solti's orchestral approach is even better than his Decca set - with the Bayreuth band and acoustic to boot. I'm hoping that Orfeo or Testament will get the rights to it for an official release.

Sorry PSmith08 but here you and I part company  :(.  That Solti Ring on Decca remains my all-time favorite Ring and I firmly believe that it is worth a listen!   I have heard a lot about Keilberth's Ring. Hans Hotter was at his best here and it is a live performance.  I am not sure what the sound is like, I doubt it is anywhere near as good as the Solti's Ring on Decca.  I think what is wonderfull is that there are so many COMPLETE Rings on the market to suit all tastes.  For me SOLTI's Decca studio recording of the Ring is as good as it gets.  To each his own I guess  :-\.

marvin   

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: PSmith08 on May 22, 2008, 08:21:04 AM
Now, the real Solti connoisseurs know that the 1983 Tetralogy from Bayreuth is the one to 'find.' Peter Hall's staging might have flopped, but Solti's orchestral approach is even better than his Decca set - with the Bayreuth band and acoustic to boot. I'm hoping that Orfeo or Testament will get the rights to it for an official release.
So on which pirate label would you find the '83 Solti cycle? Who is in the cast? I imagine a steady diet of Rene Kollo ?

PSmith08

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 22, 2008, 12:35:08 PM
So on which pirate label would you find the '83 Solti cycle? Who is in the cast? I imagine a steady diet of Rene Kollo ?

I found it on the mighty Interweb right here. Solti only conducted the cycle for one season, leaving Peter Schneider (IIRC) to pick up the 1984 performances. Siegfried Jerusalem and Manfred Jung have the major tenor roles. Hildegard Behrens sings Brünnhilde. Siegmund Nimsgern has Wotan. The rest of the cast is at the link down the page a ways. It's a decidedly 1980s cast.

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 22, 2008, 12:14:45 PM
  Sorry PSmith08 but here you and I part company  :(.  That Solti Ring on Decca remains my all-time favorite Ring and I firmly believe that it is worth a listen!   I have heard a lot about Keilberth's Ring. Hans Hotter was at his best here and it is a live performance.  I am not sure what the sound is like, I doubt it is anywhere near as good as the Solti's Ring on Decca.  I think what is wonderfull is that there are so many COMPLETE Rings on the market to suit all tastes.  For me SOLTI's Decca studio recording of the Ring is as good as it gets.  To each his own I guess  :-\.

Well, the sound on the Keilberth Ring isn't nearly as contrived as Culshaw's super-stereo extravaganza, if that's what you mean. It has a more natural feel and perspective, but I can understand how others might prefer a more-engineered approach. It's a little raw and the stereo is 1955-vintage, but it does capture the Festspielhaus acoustic in a less in-your-face way. I think the Decca engineers used a single condenser stereo mike in the rafters to catch everything.

Anne

I have to agree with Marv that the easiest way to get into the Ring is via Levine's DVD set.  Libretto is on the screen for you and later if you no longer need the subtitles, you can turn them off.

In the beginning of Die Walkure, I had to stop and sort out who all these characters were.  Don't hesitate to ask if you have a question.  Enjoy your new adventure.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Anne on May 22, 2008, 09:33:18 PM
I have to agree with Marv that the easiest way to get into the Ring is via Levine's DVD set.  Libretto is on the screen for you and later if you no longer need the subtitles, you can turn them off.

In the beginning of Die Walkure, I had to stop and sort out who all these characters were.  Don't hesitate to ask if you have a question.  Enjoy your new adventure.

I went through a similar experience like you Anne. On numerous occasions I had to stop and rewind just to think things through and tie all the peices together.  I found myself wanting to know everything about the plot and the characters.  I wanted to be a part of the adventure and the Levine DVD provided me with an opportunity to do just that. I thought the set designs of the Levine MET production were just incredible and the libretto on the screen matching the singing made it easier and more enjoyable to follow the story line.

marvin   

ChamberNut

I am listening to my first full length Wagner opera.  For some reason, Das Rheingold in particular, piqued my interest, as I always enjoyed hearing the 'Entrance of the Gods into Valhalla'

I must say, I enjoyed it.  I just love the dramatic music!  And what a fantastic Prelude.

The CD recording I'm listening to, from the library is:

1958 Performance

Das Rheingold

Wieiner Philharmoniker
Sir Georg Solti
Decca London

:)

marvinbrown

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 23, 2008, 05:09:57 AM
I am listening to my first full length Wagner opera.  For some reason, Das Rheingold in particular, piqued my interest, as I always enjoyed hearing the 'Entrance of the Gods into Valhalla'

I must say, I enjoyed it.  I just love the dramatic music!  And what a fantastic Prelude.

The CD recording I'm listening to, from the library is:

1958 Performance

Das Rheingold

Wieiner Philharmoniker
Sir Georg Solti
Decca London

:)

Wait until you get to Solti's Siegfried  0:)!  Solti really shines here! Just listen to Mime hammer away trying to fashion Notung from its fragments all to no avail of course! Later on you will come to Siegfried's  sword forging scene that gives me an adrenaline rush every time I hear it!  Without exaggeration Solti's Siegfried is filled with so much energy and power it will blow the roof off the top of any house  $:)!  Crank the volume up and let the neighbors complain that's what I say!  This is the only way to listen to the Solti Ring $:).  Happy Listening!

marvin

marvinbrown

Quote from: PSmith08 on May 22, 2008, 02:39:38 PM
I found it on the mighty Interweb right here. Solti only conducted the cycle for one season, leaving Peter Schneider (IIRC) to pick up the 1984 performances. Siegfried Jerusalem and Manfred Jung have the major tenor roles. Hildegard Behrens sings Brünnhilde. Siegmund Nimsgern has Wotan. The rest of the cast is at the link down the page a ways. It's a decidedly 1980s cast.

PSmith08 I tried searching for this recording on amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, jpc, hmv etc. and I can not seem to find a recording of it anywhere.  Are they ever planning on releasing it to the public?

marvin

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: PSmith08 on May 22, 2008, 02:39:38 PM

Well, the sound on the Keilberth Ring isn't nearly as contrived as Culshaw's super-stereo extravaganza, if that's what you mean. It has a more natural feel and perspective, but I can understand how others might prefer a more-engineered approach. It's a little raw and the stereo is 1955-vintage, but it does capture the Festspielhaus acoustic in a less in-your-face way. I think the Decca engineers used a single condenser stereo mike in the rafters to catch everything.
I see the cast here now in your link...not exactly the kind of cast that make you go nuts over. I can't listen to Manfred Jung, I am sorry...

I haven't heard Keiberth, perhaps when the price goes down a bit. I am not exactly hungry for another Ring right now.

ChamberNut

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 23, 2008, 05:43:25 AM
  Wait until you get to Solti's Siegfried  0:)!  Solti really shines here! Just listen to Mime hammer away trying to fashion Notung from its fragments all to no avail of course! Later on you will come to Siegfried's  sword forging scene that gives me an adrenaline rush every time I hear it!  Without exaggeration Solti's Siegfried is filled with so much energy and power it will blow the roof off the top of any house  $:)!  Crank the volume up and let the neighbors complain that's what I say!  This is the only way to listen to the Solti Ring $:).  Happy Listening!

marvin

Marvin,

Are you able to rank Richard's operas, from shortest to longest (approx.)?  One reason I also decided to check out 'Das Rheingold' first, was it's relative short length compared to some of his other operas.

rubio

For the Ring of the Nibelung there exist some books with really good translations of the libretto from German to English, like the below one:

Does there exist some similar good translation book for the Meistersinger? The Meistersinger recordings I plan to buy, Kempe and Kubelik, do not include libretto in English.
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley