Wagner's Valhalla

Started by Greta, April 07, 2007, 08:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marvinbrown

Quote from: Sforzando on July 21, 2008, 08:48:29 AM
Yes, except that Pope gets his rape over with in 794 lines of heroic couplets infinitely wittier than anything in Wagner.

Ouch! That's rather harsh and uncalled for  $:).  I will kindly remind you that this is the Wagner appreciation thread  ;)  :)!

marvin

Renfield

Quote from: Sforzando on July 21, 2008, 09:29:13 AM
Not if you neglect to visit the men's room before the conductor starts the first downbeat.

Quote from: Jezetha on July 21, 2008, 09:35:30 AM
;D (And the Rhine doesn't help either.)

Hah. Well, I suppose the true Wagnerian must possess some sort of special training for such a contingency... Let's ask Marvin.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Renfield on July 21, 2008, 09:40:22 AM
Hah. Well, I suppose the true Wagnerian must possess some sort of special training for such a contingency... Let's ask Marvin.

Ok avoid alcohol, coffee, Diet Coke, Coke, Red Bull, tea anything with caffeine that stimulates the bladder.  The last thing you want is, as Jezetha so humorously noted, to see the Rhein's gushing water when you have to use the toilet!! 

marvin

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: marvinbrown on July 21, 2008, 09:39:01 AM
  Ouch! That's rather harsh and uncalled for  $:).  I will kindly remind you that this is the Wagner appreciation thread  ;)  :)!

marvin

How could I forget.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Renfield

Quote from: marvinbrown on July 21, 2008, 09:46:08 AM
  Ok avoid alcohol, coffee, Diet Coke, Coke, Red Bull, tea anything with caffeine that stimulates the bladder.  The last thing you want is, as Jezetha so humorously noted, to see the Rhein's gushing water when you have to use the toilet!! 

marvin

I must admit I had a number of highly comic possible disaster scenarios flash by, while reading the list of things to avoid.

Still, I suppose that's not entirely a joke: particularly with the other three Ring operas, or Parsifal.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Renfield on July 21, 2008, 09:58:40 AM
I must admit I had a number of highly comic possible disaster scenarios flash by, while reading the list of things to avoid.

Still, I suppose that's not entirely a joke: particularly with the other three Ring operas, or Parsifal.

.........or Die Meistersinger or Tristan und Isolde....... ;)

marvin

Renfield

Quote from: marvinbrown on July 21, 2008, 10:09:00 AM
  .........or Die Meistersinger or Tristan und Isolde....... ;)

marvin

Well, in Die Meistersinger one could slip out during the fight. And if "Tristan" is as engrossing as people seem to think, it won't matter. ;D

Don

Quote from: marvinbrown on July 21, 2008, 04:19:06 AM
I would however like to hear your views why expansion of it contents would be less than ideal.   

Because Wagner already completed the work.  As usual, I'll go with the composer's wishes.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Renfield on July 21, 2008, 10:12:08 AM
Well, in Die Meistersinger one could slip out during the fight.

Nah. Act 2 of DM is only an hour long. The five potential "problem" spots in Wagner are Rheingold, Meistersinger 3, G-D 1, Parsifal 1, and Dutchman if played in one act. Before or (especially) after any of these, the lines to the restrooms are piteous to behold.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Here's a man, who speaks from bitter experience...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Jezetha on July 21, 2008, 10:51:04 AM
Here's a man, who speaks from bitter experience...

Fortunately not. I know the scores too well. But I seen others less well-informed come to a piteous end.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

marvinbrown

Quote from: Don on July 21, 2008, 10:14:03 AM
Because Wagner already completed the work.  As usual, I'll go with the composer's wishes.

I can respect and relate to that. 

marvin

uffeviking

Quote from: Sforzando on July 21, 2008, 10:43:21 AM
, the lines to the restrooms are piteous to behold.

You ain't seen nuttin' yet! Try the ladies restrooms!  ::)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: uffeviking on July 21, 2008, 05:58:11 PM
You ain't seen nuttin' yet! Try the ladies restrooms!  ::)

I know, I know.

uffeviking

I heard a story about the new Seattle Opera including one hundred ladies cubicles in their remodeling, distributed over three floors. Last time I was there I had to walk down to the ten stalls in the lobby!  :o

Had somebody mentioned Richard Wagner on this topic?  ???

Wanderer

Toilet humour. I get it.  :D

Chaszz

Quote from: Sforzando on July 21, 2008, 10:43:21 AM
Nah. Act 2 of DM is only an hour long. The five potential "problem" spots in Wagner are Rheingold, Meistersinger 3, G-D 1, Parsifal 1, and Dutchman if played in one act. Before or (especially) after any of these, the lines to the restrooms are piteous to behold.

Since most operagoers are older people, and among the male persuasion growth in the prostate often accompanies old age, the lines to the male restrooms during intermissions for any opera are piteous to behold.

uffeviking

Since there is no response to the Bayreuth 2008 topic, maybe if I intrude into the urinary popular hot thread I'll meet someone who is listening to the Bayreuth webcasts.

Anybody??  ???

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: uffeviking on July 27, 2008, 05:39:13 AM
Since there is no response to the Bayreuth 2008 topic, maybe if I intrude into the urinary popular hot thread I'll meet someone who is listening to the Bayreuth webcasts.

Anybody??  ???

I saw your post. But I don't, unfortunately, have the time to listen along with you... But let not that dampen your enthusiasm!