Wagner's Valhalla

Started by Greta, April 07, 2007, 08:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marvinbrown

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on May 20, 2007, 02:30:34 PM
Well, I'm just begining to get into the Wagner operas and it looks like its going to be a lifelong journey  ;) I'm chipping away at The Ring and highlights from the other operas which will act as 'signposts' when I dive into the operas proper.

The Wagner movie was great.

The Met/Levine Ring cycle sounds great too, and I think, a good way to start getting into the ring as opposed to sitting down with the long operas. A good way to begin to get a 'handle' on the massive work.

The MET/Levine is the only DVD recording I have of the Ring Cycle.  While some people will tell you that it is not perfect I personally found much in it that was attractive:

1) the stage setting
    2) the costumes
    3) the special effects (I won't tell you what they are for fear of ruining the experience)
    4) it had James Morris as Wotan and Jessye Norman as Sieglinde

The stage setting is true to Wagner's intent. This is not a modern adaptation.  While the the Solti  Ring Cycle (audio cd) has the ideal cast vocally this set is IMHO a good place to start. 

marvin   

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 20, 2007, 03:10:43 PM
   The MET/Levine is the only DVD recording I have of the Ring Cycle.  While some people will tell you that it is not perfect I personally found much in it that was attractive:

1) the stage setting
    2) the costumes
    3) the special effects (I won't tell you what they are for fear of ruining the experience)
    4) it had James Morris as Wotan and Jessye Norman as Sieglinde

The stage setting is true to Wagner's intent. This is not a modern adaptation.  While the the Solti  Ring Cycle (audio cd) has the ideal cast vocally this set is IMHO a good place to start. 

marvin   

Yes, thats a major factor for me. I'm very interested to view this.  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

uffeviking

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: uffeviking on May 20, 2007, 06:53:57 PM
Yes it is.  :-[

Yes, I've just bought it at Amazon and noticed the cover images were the same.

I've been putting off buying it for a year but the time is right!

I think the visual aspect will help with the understanding of the saga. Listening to vocal highlights recently was a bit daunting.

Are they tears of joy or sadness?

uffeviking

You noticed?  ;)

Tears of sadness, but I do not want to diminish your enjoyment of your first visual meeting with Wagner's Ring. My very first meeting too was with raven-winged helmets and wolf skin clad Siegfrieds, but I was only six years old. By now I have discovered many different ideas of how to present this monumental Gesamtkunstwerk, and it makes me sad to see the ancient Met Ring still getting so much attention.

Solitary Wanderer

Aha.

I guess the Wagner journey is a long one so I understand what you're saying.  :)

uffeviking

That's the spirit and that's the right attitude for starting this fascinating journey. Yes, the Met is basic, a bit on the primitive side, but if you were to start it with the latest concept production, it might make you stop your exploration. Have a great journey, Solitary Wanderer; you won't be too solitary because many Wagner friends here at GMG are ready and willing to help and guide, if guidance you seek.  :)

Michel

The tone of your post is a little sick, but I agree, I think Wagner is great.

I am suprised you didn't mention Parsifal - it is my favourite opera of his, and one of my favourite operas of all.

Incidently, I was walking about in London yesterday and came across this place:  ;D

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=parsifal+road&sll=51.554968,-0.192626&sspn=0.006471,0.020084&ie=UTF8&ll=51.554968,-0.19284&spn=0.006471,0.020084&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1

Haffner

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 20, 2007, 02:47:08 PM
    Look forward to it too.  Why Verdi as my avatar? Because Verdi is my other love interest.  He epitomizes Italian Opera (rivalling Mozart in my opinion) as Wagner epotimizes German opera

Me too, Marvin! Verdi was for me the height of Italian Opera. Mozart was of course very close, but alot of times I get the impression that his German operas were better than the Italian. The Verdi works that you mentioned are simply more dramatic and "Italian". Again, this is my opinion.

I consider Mozart, Wagner, and Verdi to be literal Wonders of the World.

Haffner

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on May 20, 2007, 03:16:18 PM
Yes, thats a major factor for me. I'm very interested to view this.  :)

I got the Levine DVD Ring as a whole (NEW!) from Newbury Comics for just over $75.oo. Believe me, it was worth every penny.

Haffner

Quote from: uffeviking on May 20, 2007, 07:13:45 PM
You noticed?  ;)

Tears of sadness, but I do not want to diminish your enjoyment of your first visual meeting with Wagner's Ring. My very first meeting too was with raven-winged helmets and wolf skin clad Siegfrieds, but I was only six years old. By now I have discovered many different ideas of how to present this monumental Gesamtkunstwerk, and it makes me sad to see the ancient Met Ring still getting so much attention.

I agree. Youtube can spoil things...it's more exciting just buying the whole dvd set and loving the Wonder of it all, no preconceptions, just being totally Open.

Haffner

Quote from: uffeviking on May 20, 2007, 07:33:48 PM
That's the spirit and that's the right attitude for starting this fascinating journey. Yes, the Met is basic, a bit on the primitive side, but if you were to start it with the latest concept production, it might make you stop your exploration. Have a great journey, Solitary Wanderer; you won't be too solitary because many Wagner friends here at GMG are ready and willing to help and guide, if guidance you seek.  :)

JA! I'm with you! That's what this board is for, right?

Michel

Have you ever heard of quoting more than one thing in one post; you have instantly wrecked this thread with a load of posts.

karlhenning

Quote from: Michel on May 21, 2007, 02:28:41 AM
The tone of your post is a little sick, but I agree, I think Wagner is great.

I am suprised you didn't mention Parsifal - it is my favourite opera of his, and one of my favourite operas of all.

I haven't yet done aught more than listen to some of (mostly) the instrumental music to this;  for the most part, I think it some of the best Wagner I've heard!

Haffner

Quote from: Michel on May 21, 2007, 06:00:59 AM
Have you ever heard of quoting more than one thing in one post; you have instantly wrecked this thread with a load of posts.

Oh dear.

Michel

Quote from: karlhenning on May 21, 2007, 06:04:49 AM
I haven't yet done aught more than listen to some of (mostly) the instrumental music to this;  for the most part, I think it some of the best Wagner I've heard!

Karl,

Listen to the final scene!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Haffner on May 21, 2007, 06:07:02 AM
Oh dear.

Yep, now you've done it, Andy! Might as well just go ahead and lock this thread down. It's obviously, and completely, ruined  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Haffner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 21, 2007, 07:37:28 AM
Yep, now you've done it, Andy! Might as well just go ahead and lock this thread down. It's obviously, and completely, ruined  ;D

Sarge

ZOUNDS
!

marvinbrown

Quote from: Haffner on May 21, 2007, 05:17:47 AM

I consider Mozart, Wagner, and Verdi to be literal Wonders of the World.

Looks like you found yourself another Triumvirate Andy  :)!!!  I remember when you were telling me about "Andy's Triumvirate" consisting of Beethoven, Mozart and Haydn.  What's the common link you ask? Answer: MOZART of course (a testament to that GREAT man's GENIUS ) 

marvin