Ipod Classic
6 (31.6%)
get a smartphone, mp3 players are obsolete
2 (10.5%)
Other
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Holden on January 28, 2024, 12:19:16 PMTime has moved on since I last posted in this thread and so have DAPs. I now have the Astell & Kern Jr and it does everything that I need it to and it also has blue tooth output if I want to use BT headphones. It supports the following formats (WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE(Normal, High, Fast), AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF) but I'm happy to stick with 320 kbps MP3.

Compared to many of today's models it's quite basic but the important thing is that it sounds really good. I use it mainly for travel and as I'm going into hospital in three weeks for a double knee replacement I'll take it there. What I really like about it is that as I've digitised all my CDs into audio files and put them into folders I can simply drag and drop folders into the player.
Good luck Holden.  I hope that all goes well!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

This thread prodded me to act on the low-volume wish to get a new gizmo (both my old Sansa Fuze and a Philips device having long gone phut. Two devices I ordered through Amazon proved worthless. Only when I saw the necessity of returning Bum Device No. 2 did I get the idea of looking at pcworld.com An Innioasis player landed today, and I'm waiting to see how the folders I've loaded look. All looks in order.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on January 30, 2024, 05:08:29 PMThis thread prodded me to act on the low-volume wish to get a new gizmo (both my old Sansa Fuze and a Philips device having long gone phut. Two devices I ordered through Amazon proved worthless. Only when I saw the necessity of returning Bum Device No. 2 did I get the idea of looking at pcworld.com An Innioasis player landed today, and I'm waiting to see how the folders I've loaded look. All looks in order.
Well, and Bluetooth connection is successful. This device appears to function satisfactorily. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

steve ridgway

Quote from: Holden on January 28, 2024, 12:19:16 PMTime has moved on since I last posted in this thread and so have DAPs. I now have the Astell & Kern Jr and it does everything that I need it to and it also has blue tooth output if I want to use BT headphones. It supports the following formats (WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE(Normal, High, Fast), AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF) but I'm happy to stick with 320 kbps MP3.

Compared to many of today's models it's quite basic but the important thing is that it sounds really good. I use it mainly for travel and as I'm going into hospital in three weeks for a double knee replacement I'll take it there. What I really like about it is that as I've digitised all my CDs into audio files and put them into folders I can simply drag and drop folders into the player.

I just looked and found I bought my AK Jr in April 2017. I'm still happy with it, purged it of non-classical music recently and am loading it up again as I listen so I can curate my personal canon, and will replace the 64 Mb micro SD card with a 256 Gb when it's full (as they'll be cheaper then). Minor niggles are just that it thinks Z comes before A and doesn't display foreign characters. I am now tagging my files "Album" = Work, conductor (or principal performer or ensemble) and date of recording e.g. "Concerto For Orchestra (Boulez, 1972)", "Artist" = Composer, "Genre" = Date composed.

ultralinear

I've been thinking of following @Holden and @steve ridgway in getting an AK Jr to replace my ageing and fading Sony, however from reading reviews I get the impression that it doesn't support Wifi connectivity e.g. for streaming music from my NAS library.  Is this right?  It's a feature I'd want at that kind of price - at present I can use an old Android phone for the purpose, and I note that the device Karl's just bought claims to have this functionality (though it also seems to draw some of the same kind of negative user feedback that pretty much all cheaper players attract.)  Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Holden

Quote from: ultralinear on January 31, 2024, 03:50:05 AMI've been thinking of following @Holden and @steve ridgway in getting an AK Jr to replace my ageing and fading Sony, however from reading reviews I get the impression that it doesn't support Wifi connectivity e.g. for streaming music from my NAS library.  Is this right?  It's a feature I'd want at that kind of price - at present I can use an old Android phone for the purpose, and I note that the device Karl's just bought claims to have this functionality (though it also seems to draw some of the same kind of negative user feedback that pretty much all cheaper players attract.)  Any advice would be appreciated. :)

You are right, it doesn't have WiFi. The version I've got is actually called the Super Junior and is named after a Korean Kpop band. It was half the price of the straight Jr but is essentially exactly the same player. I bought a cover for it so I don't see the bands signature all over the case. It's an absolute bargain for the price if you don't need WiFi as it sounds superb and drives most of my cans well.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Astell-Kern-Super-Junior-AK/dp/B07176GS7Y
Cheers

Holden

Marbarum

what kind of player did you end up buying?

ultralinear

Quote from: Marbarum on February 26, 2024, 08:03:24 AMwhat kind of player did you end up buying?

You probably weren't asking me, but FWIW I ended up buying a pristine secondhand Astell & Kern AK70 MKII:

It's brilliant - sound quality, volume, facilities, interface - in every way a major upgrade from my old Sony (for about the same money.)

I'm particularly pleased with the Wifi connectivity - it found the same Logitech Media Server running on a NAS that feeds my Squeezebox Touch, without me having to do anything: it just did it.  Whole media library wide open for business.  If only all technology could be like this. :)