The Cat Thread

Started by John Copeland, February 27, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Churchill and Cat
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 27, 2021, 11:18:45 AM
Churchill and Cat

I found this online:  a very detailed but interesting article on Churchill and his growing affection for cats and the ones that he either met and/or adopted over the course of his lifetime...including this cat.  Thanks for that photo Jeffrey!

https://winstonchurchill.org/publications/finest-hour/finest-hour-139/cats-look-down-on-you-churchills-feline-menagerie/
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 27, 2021, 11:18:45 AM
Churchill and Cat

Alas, Churchill didn't (yet) know that you don't just come up to a cat and go to pat it on its head; see cat's body language.

Love her work!  :)  I have one of her books.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Oh, if only someone would come up with a sofa like this!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on February 06, 2021, 02:54:55 PM

Thank you for making me laugh!  I suspect that I will be having the [savory] salmon tonight.  ;)  Just kidding:  my salmon is a fillet which I'll figure out how to cook--along with some veggies.  ;D
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 09, 2021, 11:51:21 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-56005428
You beat me to posting it  :laugh: !  I had just watched it and also had a morning news program on and they had a segment on it; caption (or maybe I should say "cation") "Paw and Order".  Too funny!

Or maybe the lawyer's strategy was "If I appear as a cute kitten, I'll win my case"?  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 10, 2021, 03:55:23 AM
You beat me to posting it  :laugh: !  I had just watched it and also had a morning news program on and they had a segment on it; caption (or maybe I should say "cation") "Paw and Order".  Too funny!

Or maybe the lawyer's strategy was "If I appear as a cute kitten, I'll win my case"?  ;)

PD
I thought it was hilarious, although maybe the judge should have said 'I can hear you' rather than 'I can see you'.
:)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 10, 2021, 05:12:32 AM
I thought it was hilarious, although maybe the judge should have said 'I can hear you' rather than 'I can see you'.
:)
Yes.  I thought it was funny too how the lawyer wanted to proceed--even with the filter still on!  Very cute kitten filter.  :)  He was a good sport about it too which was nice to see.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

I stumbled across this--made me smile.  Best buds.  From Nick Harvey's Twitter account:

"Every night, for as long as I can remember, my cat and my twelve year old share a pillow.

How it started:            How it's going:"

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 10, 2021, 06:33:22 AM
Yes.  I thought it was funny too how the lawyer wanted to proceed--even with the filter still on!  Very cute kitten filter.  :)  He was a good sport about it too which was nice to see.

Yes PD - I agree and the judge was nice about it. Everyone came out well. The lawyer appeared on BBC radio news and exchanged miaows with the presenter at the end of his interview.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 10, 2021, 10:00:17 AM
I stumbled across this--made me smile.  Best buds.  From Nick Harvey's Twitter account:

"Every night, for as long as I can remember, my cat and my twelve year old share a pillow.

Lovely  :)
Although, in the second photo, it appears that the cat has become the pillow!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 10, 2021, 12:37:31 PM
Lovely  :)
Although, in the second photo, it appears that the cat has become the pillow!
lol True!

Cat's thinking:  "Initially, this did seem like a good idea...."

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

geralmar

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on February 19, 2021, 10:29:22 PM

Looks good until the cat decides to sit on it while the owner is trying to read it!  ;)
Pohjolas Daughter

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 10, 2021, 10:00:17 AM

An oft-told story in my family is that, when I was a toddler our pregnant cat had her litter on my pillow. When my Ma came to wake me up my head was surrounded by newborn kittens.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on February 20, 2021, 05:37:08 AM
An oft-told story in my family is that, when I was a toddler our pregnant cat had her litter on my pillow. When my Ma came to wake me up my head was surrounded by newborn kittens.
;D  Smart cat:  go for the comphy pillow, be near a source of heat, and guaranteed that someone will be in check on you in the near future if you have your litter near a human youngster!  ;)  Do you have one of your own?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

We've always had dogs in our house - always. Cats came and went. Always outdoor cats. Which is why two of them never came back  :-[, including Abby, our last one. She was surely eaten by a nasty critter (a pekan?) when we were at the cottage. There is a large wooded area just across the road - irresistible hunting grounds for an elite mouser. Obviously she wasn't the only one to hunt there...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on February 20, 2021, 08:32:32 AM
We've always had dogs in our house - always. Cats came and went. Always outdoor cats. Which is why two of them never came back  :-[, including Abby, our last one. She was surely eaten by a nasty critter (a pekan?) when we were at the cottage. There is a large wooded area just across the road - irresistible hunting grounds for an elite mouser. Obviously she wasn't the only one to hunt there...
You could get an indoor-only kitty?  Sorry to hear about your losses in any event.  :(
Pohjolas Daughter