The Cat Thread

Started by John Copeland, February 27, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: geralmar on June 12, 2021, 10:58:17 PM

I wouldn't dare to make my breakfast first! The results would be catastrophic.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on June 13, 2021, 11:10:21 AM
I wouldn't dare to make my breakfast first! The results would be catastrophic.
8)
And if you did, you wouldn't be able to enjoy it in peace.  ::) ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Re:  Tiny Kittens (website and rehab non-profit)...stumbled across this update on Cassidy, the two-legged kitten from BC who has been undergoing rehab...some great news here.  https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/03/23/two-legged-kitten-from-bc-gets-ready-to-receive-new-prosthetics.html

Heart-rending story to see/read, but am so grateful to all of the vets and volunteer rehabbers that didn't give up on the little guy.  And delighted to read about the ground-breaking technology to help not just him, but also hopefully more animals in the future.

More of his story and early days:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5LhVdKdhE  I dare you to keep a dry eye!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: absolutelybaching on June 15, 2021, 08:53:07 AM
Harper was a rescue cat.

He enjoys late-night string quartets on my bed. Or on me. Or on my head. Whatever...
;D  I'm envious of your feline companionship!  Pretty boy (?)...red tabby?  How old is he and any interesting story details?  :)

And welcome to the forum!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: absolutelybaching on June 16, 2021, 12:25:27 AM
He's just an average tabby moggie, I think, but he has a nicely pointed face and 'target' rings on his sides. Unfortunately, he had to have all his teeth removed pretty soon after we picked him up in 2014 (when he was already about 2): he had badly inflamed gums. But it doesn't seem to have stopped him enjoying life (or food!) and he is definitely 'of the tribe of Tiger'! He will sit quietly on my study desk enjoying whatever music is playing for hours on end, but he cannot stand Messiaen (no matter the composition) for some reason and will always leave if any of it starts. He is otherwise of impeccable taste!
Poor kid!  I had to have dental work (including a couple of extractions) on one of my cats years ago.  I soon thereafter learned how to brush their teeth (with a special enzymatic toothpaste)--not exactly fun but doable.  With my last one (who I had adopted as a kitten), he ended up developing a bad case of gingivitis (even though he was still a kitten!) and I switched him over to a special dental hard food which helped a lot (along with brushing).  Problem went away!

Glad that he enjoys your musical tastes--apart from Messiaen.  Perhaps he enjoys real bird songs more?  ;)

PD

p.s.  You'll find that there are a number of cat lovers on this forum.   :)
p.p.s  Now if I could just find someone that enjoyed chatting about tennis....

Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

These kittens are beyond anything.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on July 16, 2021, 12:12:26 PM

Sorry, but I can't read the whole article.  Only bits of it show up here.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 16, 2021, 01:29:14 PM

PD

I think the headline says it all!   ;D
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on July 07, 2021, 03:19:01 PM
     These kittens are beyond anything.

https://www.youtube.com/v/qwB3vJY5CDE
Very funny!  ;D

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 16, 2021, 01:29:14 PM

PD

Quote from: Szykneij on July 17, 2021, 03:23:01 AM
Wow!  Well, when I tried to google that story further (couldn't), I ran across stories of cats saving their owners' lives too....In any event, so very sorry to hear of that person's house burning down...hope that everyone (including all pets) got out alive?  And, yes, cats will knock over things...particularly when they are being chased by another animal or are startled.   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

I can imagine the cat channeling Putin: "If I wanted you dead you'd be dead."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on July 17, 2021, 03:23:01 AM

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 17, 2021, 02:25:29 PM
I can imagine the cat channeling Putin: "If I wanted you dead you'd be dead."

I checked again and found this snippet on NPR:  https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15178899

It seems that the owner was asleep.  Now why was he sleeping while there was a lit kerosene lantern burning away?   ???  I'm glad though that his dog woke him up.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Here's a photo I took of our cat Oliver today - I'm sure you'll agree that he is a fine representative of the Animal Kingdom.  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2021, 06:32:29 AM
Here's a photo I took of our cat Oliver today - I'm sure you'll agree that he is a fine representative of the Animal Kingdom.  ::)

Oi. Give me my cat back...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2021, 06:32:29 AM

Oh, sweet!  Pretty boy...looks happy and relaxed.  :)

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 23, 2021, 07:01:35 AM
Oi. Give me my cat back...

lol  ;D

PD

p.s. Please give both of your cats multiple doses of chin scratches and tell them it's from their friend over the pond.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 23, 2021, 02:08:31 PM
Oh, sweet!  Pretty boy...looks happy and relaxed.  :)
lol  ;D

PD

p.s. Please give both of your cats multiple doses of chin scratches and tell them it's from their friend over the pond.  :)
Will do PD although I am away for a few days and our neighbour is feeding him. He usually sulks with us for a few days when we get back.  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 24, 2021, 01:54:23 PM
Will do PD although I am away for a few days and our neighbour is feeding him. He usually sulks with us for a few days when we get back.  :)
Hope that you have a nice time.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

foxandpeng

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 23, 2021, 02:08:31 PM
Please give both of your cats multiple doses of chin scratches and tell them it's from their friend over the pond.  :)

Done!  :)
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 25, 2021, 09:02:33 AM
Done!  :)
Thanks!

Now "rinse and repeat" as needed.   ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen