The Cat Thread

Started by John Copeland, February 27, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 09, 2021, 09:07:21 AM
Boy, he even had his own book(s)!  Thanks for the link!  :)

PD

His status is 'Internet Celebrity'  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 09, 2021, 10:21:45 AM
His status is 'Internet Celebrity'  :)
Yes, I saw that!  ;D

Well, you managed to lure me back to that Wiki link of yours and saw an episode with "artiste" in the title and had to watch it.  Très drôle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUtn3pvWmpg

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

This picture made me laugh:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

I don't see much pacification.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on October 02, 2021, 07:33:34 AM

lol  :)  I strongly suspect that a parent put that kitten on top of their baby!  ;)  Still cute though!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Ah, to have no worries in life!

PD

p.s. Posted for Jeffrey and his "other half" in particular....  ;)
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Source: Andre in the WAYCR thread

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SimonNZ

Begemot!

A Russian speaking friend of mine named her cat Begemot after that character and also told me that while he is for some reason called Behemoth in English translations his Russian name actually means hippopotamus.

They've made a variety of really good covers for various editions of that book using that character.

JBS

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 04, 2021, 06:57:41 PM
Begemot!

A Russian speaking friend of mine named her cat Begemot after that character and also told me that while he is for some reason called Behemoth in English translations his Russian name actually means hippopotamus.

They've made a variety of really good covers for various editions of that book using that character.

I've been told (perhaps Karl or another member who knows Russian can confirm) that the Cyrillic character which sounds G is used to transliterate H as well. Hence Begemot/Behemoth.

SimonNZ

Ah...so it possible in Russian you'd have the meaning of the biblical monster alongside the meaning of the animal as you were reading the name.y friend, while Russian, was not a Bible reader and may have been unaware of that.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on October 04, 2021, 05:59:34 PM

Source: Andre in the WAYCR thread
Love the cover!

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 04, 2021, 06:57:41 PM
Begemot!

Interesting, so they named their cat "River Horse"?  :-\
;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 04, 2021, 08:38:08 PM
Ah...so it possible in Russian you'd have the meaning of the biblical monster alongside the meaning of the animal as you were reading the name.y friend, while Russian, was not a Bible reader and may have been unaware of that.
Interesting point!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS