The Cat Thread

Started by mahler10th, February 27, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 04, 2022, 06:05:30 AM
;D

Are you sure that it wasn't a case of "Where's my wet food?!  You're late!"  ;)

PD
Well PD, there may have been an element of that, but he had been served his supper before we went up to London - not that it ever stops him demanding more!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 04, 2022, 06:57:34 AM
Well PD, there may have been an element of that, but he had been served his supper before we went up to London - not that it ever stops him demanding more!
Perhaps he had become so used to you being around almost all of the time due to Covid, he was wondering where his humans were?

Speaking of which, how is working back at school going?

PD

p.s.  Missing my cats....particularly as now it's getting chilly in the house!  I miss my warm and friendly fur blankets.
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 04, 2022, 07:28:33 AM
Perhaps he had become so used to you being around almost all of the time due to Covid, he was wondering where his humans were?

Speaking of which, how is working back at school going?

PD

p.s.  Missing my cats....particularly as now it's getting chilly in the house!  I miss my warm and friendly fur blankets.
So, where are your cats? School is fine thanks. I only work part-time (being semi-retired) and it is nice to be back. Our cat recognises our car engine noises. He is invariably there to meet us. His name is Oliver.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 04, 2022, 02:33:43 PM
So, where are your cats? School is fine thanks. I only work part-time (being semi-retired) and it is nice to be back. Our cat recognises our car engine noises. He is invariably there to meet us. His name is Oliver.
Sweet!  And so much for the indifference of cats!

"Rainbow Bridge"  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Part III of Teddy's Tale is out now.  It's about (fictionalized??  how much?) how Teddy (a real cat) came into the real Simon's life.  He was a stray at the time.

Here's a link to all three parts of the story:  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=simon%27s+cat+teddy%27s+tale+

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

I thought that I'd take a break from my onerous domestic chores to do some research into the Earl of Southampton's cat who famously kept him company during his imprisonment in the Tower of London and was immortalised in a portrait of the Earl. The cat bears a remarkable resemblance to my childhood cat, and I like to think that he/she was an ancestor:
https://www.angelfire.com/ca/unitedcats/henry.html

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 10, 2022, 04:35:24 AM
I thought that I'd take a break from my onerous domestic chores to do some research into the Earl of Southampton's cat who famously kept him company during his imprisonment in the Tower of London and was immortalised in a portrait of the Earl. The cat bears a remarkable resemblance to my childhood cat, and I like to think that he/she was an ancestor:
https://www.angelfire.com/ca/unitedcats/henry.html
Love the story!  ;D  I don't think that the person who painted the portrait of the two of them was much of a cat lover--as evidenced by the cats face/head!  It looks rather p.o.'d!  I had a tuxedo kitty years ago too.  :)

Ran across this amusing photo of a cat making itself at home in a doll's house:

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 10, 2022, 06:04:41 AM
Love the story!  ;D  I don't think that the person who painted the portrait of the two of them was much of a cat lover--as evidenced by the cats face/head!  It looks rather p.o.'d!  I had a tuxedo kitty years ago too.  :)

PD

That pictured feline is a dead ringer for my childhood companion, Peanut Butter by name.   :-\
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on October 10, 2022, 08:30:46 AM
That pictured feline is a dead ringer for my childhood companion, Peanut Butter by name.   :-\
Awww!  And cute name.

Now what did you call him for short?  PB?  P&J?  Or....?  :)

The photo cracked me up!  Kitty thinking "A bed just my size....must be for me."

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 10, 2022, 06:04:41 AM

PD
Great photo - at first I thought that it was a Demon Cat, grown to enormous size.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 10, 2022, 10:40:40 AM
Great photo - at first I thought that it was a Demon Cat, grown to enormous size.
:laugh:  And we humans, the mice?!

I was trying to google a cartoon of a cat breaking into a house (preferably a castle after your last posting) and for some reason or another this photo came up!

Did you watch any of the Teddy cartoons (Simon's Cat)?  If so, what did you think of them.

And give Oliver a scratch under the chin from me.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Some well-known people and their cats...can you guess who is who (without using a search engine)?

PD

p.s.  I had tried to post others but the images didn't show up here.  :(

EDIT:  Will try again:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Numbers 3 and 4 are easily recognizable, but the other three I can't place. I'll probably kick myself for not knowing who they are when I find out.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SimonNZ

5 must be Basquait. I think 1 is James Dean. I'd hesitate a guess of James Taylor for 2.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on November 01, 2022, 01:42:22 PM
Numbers 3 and 4 are easily recognizable, but the other three I can't place. I'll probably kick myself for not knowing who they are when I find out.
It's o.k, here...just having a bit of fun.  So who do you think nos. 3 and 4 are for starters?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 01, 2022, 02:07:34 PM
5 must be Basquait. I think 1 is James Dean. I'd hesitate a guess of James Taylor for 2.
Well done you!  Yes, and you guessed the other two.  I read (and I'm not sure whether or not this is true but the Elizabeth Taylor gave a cat to James Dean). Basquiat is the fifth one. And as far as cats go and JT:  here's a later posting:

And yes, Marlon Brando is No.3 and Clark Gable is No. 4.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 01, 2022, 02:07:34 PM
Good job!

PD

p.s. You guys are replying faster than I can keep up!  ;D  In any event, it was nice for me to see/remind myself how many wonderful artists love cats....not that I hate dogs.
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on November 01, 2022, 01:42:22 PM
Boy, and I would have had a hard time identifying Marlon B there myself! 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Dang:  You guys were too fast on the draw.  I was hoping to provide an answer here....maybe just listen to it for fun now?   :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9nIvPb1WQ8

"Bye.  Bye"

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

This made me laugh, but also grimace as I remember how sharp their claws can get!  :D

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aVUUsu9DgUg

PD
Pohjolas Daughter