The Cat Thread

Started by John Copeland, February 27, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

I think that I need to get the book 'Six Dinner Sid'!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-54710400
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 02, 2021, 07:41:00 AM
I think that I need to get the book 'Six Dinner Sid'!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-54710400
Oh, too funny!  I read that story yesterday!  Good of the author to share their story...hard though it was.  Towards the [young] end of my last cat's life, I realized that someone else recently started feeding him!  Not good for several reasons:  1) he gained about a pound in one month = 10% of his weight!; 2) He must have been being fed some sort of 'kitty crack' = inexpensive but tasty dry food, so that he would no longer eat his special food which helped to correct and then prevent dental disease; 3) and could have lead to other issues (like she described)--if he hadn't been hit by a car first.  :(  I'm sure that the person meant well, but they were creating problems instead.  I tried several times to put a collar around his neck, but the ones that they recommend (the breakaway type), he kept managing to get them off of his neck.  He was microchipped, however, with up to the date contact info re moi, the owner.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

As we couldn't see my brother at Christmas this year he very kindly sent us a hamper of food and drink goodies. Now that the contents have been mainly consumed my wife thought that the large empty box would be an ideal place for me to store the papers that were cluttering up my desk. However, someone had other plans  ::)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 04, 2021, 09:11:17 AM
As we couldn't see my brother at Christmas this year he very kindly sent us a hamper of food and drink goodies. Now that the contents have now been mainly consumed my wife thought that the large empty box would be an ideal place for me to store the papers that were cluttering up my desk. However, someone had other plans  ::)

lol  A very handsome black kitty there Jeffrey....and such a lovely contrast to the red box too.  ;)  If you're really going to use that box, you'll have to come up with some ingenious compromise/alternative.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 05, 2021, 05:19:17 AM
lol  A very handsome black kitty there Jeffrey....and such a lovely contrast to the red box too.  ;)  If you're really going to use that box, you'll have to come up with some ingenious compromise/alternative.

PD

Thank you PD. He's called Oliver.
:)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 05, 2021, 09:00:22 AM
Thank you PD. He's called Oliver.
:)
How did you come up with the name Oliver (Dickens?)?  And have you outfitted the said box with a cushion or old towel yet?  ;D

PD

p.s.  I love this cartoonist's work.  Her strip is called "Rhymes with Orange".  Here are a few:

Not cat related, but I thought that some here might appreciate this one:

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 05, 2021, 11:26:56 AM
How did you come up with the name Oliver (Dickens?)?  And have you outfitted the said box with a cushion or old towel yet?  ;D

PD

p.s.  I love this cartoonist's work.  Her strip is called "Rhymes with Orange".  Here are a few:

Not cat related, but I thought that some here might appreciate this one:

I think that Oliver is one of the few names that my wife and I agreed on if we had a son (which we didn't) so, we gave the name to our cat instead - I think that it suits him. I love the cartoons, especially the computer keypad one. I was just watching a live TV interview on the BBC News about the cancellation of the A (Advanced) Level exams in school next Summer. A young school student was being interviewed and her cat kept on making an appearance. The Newsreader reassured her that pets were always welcome on the News!

Pohjolas Daughter

Sweet, Jeffrey!  And, well he is family, so there you go!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

vandermolen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on January 06, 2021, 11:37:04 PM

"Me and my two best buds.  Look out world here we come!"  ;)
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Are humans even necessary?

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

And now for something totally different:

Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Mr. Spunky and regular sized cat for scale.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on January 17, 2021, 03:57:01 PM
Mr. Spunky and regular sized cat for scale.
Oh, my!  Are they both yours?  :)

How much does Mr. Spunky weigh and how long is he?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

We have 3 cats and 2 dogs, all of them rescues. The dogs are Satos from Puerto Rico.

The Spunkster was about 36 pounds when we last weighed him. I'm not sure how long he is. He is somewhat beachball shaped, so circumference might be a better measurement.

Here he is in a whiskey barrel planter.

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

The two Biden dogs have been making the news (Champ and Major)...pets back in the White House!  And one of them is a rescue from a Delaware shelter (Major).  Yeah!

Apparently, Jill Biden (pardon, First Lady Dr. Jill Biden  ;D ) wants to get a cat too!  :)  Hurrah!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Googling "White House Cats" and there's lots of images I've never seen before:

and somehow I don't think I've seen this before: