The Cat Thread

Started by mahler10th, February 27, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 11, 2021, 05:45:59 AM
So cute ! We had such a cat, black and furry. His name was Zorro. When outside he was invisible, you'd never see him. If I stepped out he'd come out from a nearby bush to get petted.
Oliver (our cat) has made lots of local friends as he rolls around upside down on the pavement until someone makes a fuss of him. Like Zorro (great name) he suddenly appears out of the bushes.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: André on April 11, 2021, 05:45:59 AM
So cute ! We had such a cat, black and furry. His name was Zorro. When outside he was invisible, you'd never see him. If I stepped out he'd come out from a nearby bush to get petted.

Un chat-valier qui surgit hors du buisson
Court vers l'aventure au galop
Son nom, il le signe à la pointe de la patte
D'un Miaou qui veut dire Zorro

Zorroooooooooooo !!!  8)
Olivier

André

'Surgir hors du buisson' was his signature move. He always surprised me  :)

vandermolen

Very nice pictures! I especially liked 'No bacon?'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Here is my cat having a characteristically active morning:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 19, 2021, 11:28:57 PM
Here is my cat having a characteristically active morning:

Ah, sunshine!

Looks like time to sort through some old newspapers?  ;)

PD
Quote from: geralmar on April 19, 2021, 10:36:34 PM

Cute!  I'd be in there myself shielding kitty from the seafood!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 20, 2021, 03:40:12 AM
Ah, sunshine!

Looks like time to sort through some old newspapers?  ;)

PDCute!  I'd be in there myself shielding kitty from the seafood!  ;D

PD
You must be psychic PD! I was just instructed to 'sort out the old newspapers' Amazing!  :o

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 20, 2021, 05:02:31 AM
You must be psychic PD! I was just instructed to 'sort out the old newspapers' Amazing!  :o
:laugh:

Well, you're not alone---not newspapers but things like printed out recipes (trying to store them on computer these days when possible) and food magazines.  Must deaccession!  ::)  I'm trying to self-encourage the idea that "I want to own the things rather than being owned by them."  Does that make sense?

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 20, 2021, 06:08:19 AM

Well, you're not alone---not newspapers but things like printed out recipes (trying to store them on computer these days when possible) and food magazines.  Must deaccession!  ::)  I'm trying to self-encourage the idea that "I want to own the things rather than being owned by them."  Does that make sense?

PD

I have a feeling it must apply to CDs - especially CDs... ::)

geralmar

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 20, 2021, 06:08:19 AM

PD
OT
Yes, that makes absolute sense PD and something that I need to apply more to myself. One problem is that my wife is very neat and tidy and  hates 'mess' (a CD left out by the CD player or a book not in the book case for example  :o). I pointed out to her recently that I found it interesting how often 'Happy-Go-Lucky' types team up with very pernickety types. But she did not thank me for my psychological insight.  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on April 27, 2021, 02:53:06 PM

Drone photo.
Can't see it alas!

Quote from: vandermolen on April 27, 2021, 11:31:29 PM
OT
Yes, that makes absolute sense PD and something that I need to apply more to myself. One problem is that my wife is very neat and tidy and  hates 'mess' (a CD left out by the CD player or a book not in the book case for example  :o). I pointed out to her recently that I found it interesting how often 'Happy-Go-Lucky' types team up with very pernickety types. But she did not thank me for my psychological insight.  ;D
:laugh:  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

On Sunday night I was just settling down to watch 'Line of Duty' with my wife when the cat strolled in with a bird in his mouth. The bird then escaped and went into the under-stairs cupboard. I had to take everything out to locate the bird, which I then took to the local animal welfare centre. He/she was given some antibiotic medicine but should recover. Cost me £10! This was unusual because our cat is quite lame, having been born with a deformity in his legs. Nice relaxing evening!  ::)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on May 10, 2021, 06:48:30 PM

:D

Quote from: vandermolen on May 11, 2021, 01:29:38 AM
On Sunday night I was just settling down to watch 'Line of Duty' with my wife when the cat strolled in with a bird in his mouth. The bird then escaped and went into the under-stairs cupboard. I had to take everything out to locate the bird, which I then took to the local animal welfare centre. He/she was given some antibiotic medicine but should recover. Cost me £10! This was unusual because our cat is quite lame, having been born with a deformity in his legs. Nice relaxing evening!  ::)
Oh, my!  Quite the evening!  Alas, that's one of the possibilities/perils of having an indoor/outdoor kitty.  That was very kind of you to take the bird to an animal rescue center Jeffrey and am glad to hear that it will be o.k.  What kind of bird was it?  Trust that you had a long talk with your kitty afterwards?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 12, 2021, 01:22:16 AM
:D
Oh, my!  Quite the evening!  Alas, that's one of the possibilities/perils of having an indoor/outdoor kitty.  That was very kind of you to take the bird to an animal rescue center Jeffrey and am glad to hear that it will be o.k.  What kind of bird was it?  Trust that you had a long talk with your kitty afterwards?

PD

Either a sparrow or a starling PD. My wife said it was (hopefully still is) a starling but the rescue centre lady said it was a sparrow. Difficult to tell from inside the cat's mouth! I recently discovered a few feathers in our dining room - but no bird. I now know that our cat consumes them completely. I read somewhere that if they were bigger they would eat us as well - a terrifying thought for a cat lover!   :o

vandermolen

I've been doing a bit of research on the British artist Holman Hunt and was pleased to come across this photo of his wife Edith:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on May 24, 2021, 07:10:31 AM
I've been doing a bit of research on the British artist Holman Hunt and was pleased to come across this photo of his wife Edith:

Sweet  :laugh:

I remember reading somewhere (or it may have been in a documentary with Ursula being interviewed) that Ralph often composed with a cat sitting on him:  I think like on his stomach, head and/or shoulders?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter