The Cat Thread

Started by John Copeland, February 27, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Margaret Getchell LaForge was a cousin of RH Macy who was for a number of years a senior executive in what was then a one store enterprise. She contributed a number of things to the company's history (including its logo) and had a thing for having cats photographed in human clothes and poses. (Supposedly they were dosed with whiskey to keep them placid.)
Here's an example.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 30, 2021, 06:32:23 AM
Fun photos Jeffrey!  Thanks for posting that link.  :)

PD
My pleasure PD  :)
Always nice to see VW and his favourite cat Foxy again.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 30, 2021, 08:15:32 AM
My pleasure PD  :)
Always nice to see VW and his favourite cat Foxy again.
+1  ;D 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 30, 2021, 08:25:14 AM
+1  ;D 

PD
Well PD, he does look like a fox, doesn't he?
I want this photo, signed by both VW and Foxy!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2021, 09:49:59 AM
Well PD, he does look like a fox, doesn't he?
I want this photo, signed by both VW and Foxy!

Yes, he does look very fox-like (for a cat anyway).  :D

Are you sure that it's his signature at the bottom and not someone just writing what it was a photo of?  What does it say after "& Foxy"....looks like his something or other starting with an "m"?

Would love to have that print in any event...perhaps Ursula wrote that underneath the picture?

Wonder whether or not there exists any kitty descendants of Foxy?  :-\

Speaking of cats, how is yours doing these days Jeffrey?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 01, 2021, 10:16:03 AM
Yes, he does look very fox-like (for a cat anyway).  :D

Are you sure that it's his signature at the bottom and not someone just writing what it was a photo of?  What does it say after "& Foxy"....looks like his something or other starting with an "m"?

Would love to have that print in any event...perhaps Ursula wrote that underneath the picture?

Wonder whether or not there exists any kitty descendants of Foxy?  :-\

Speaking of cats, how is yours doing these days Jeffrey?

PD
PD it's signed 'Ralph Vaughan Williams' (he usually signed 'R.Vaughan Williams') so, I guess that it's to family or a close friend. Then it says 'X Foxy - his mark'. I think that the whole inscription is written by Vaughan Williams. Thanks for asking about Oliver. I attach a recent photo. As you see, he's enjoying a typically active day:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2021, 12:50:07 PM
PD it's signed 'Ralph Vaughan Williams' (he usually signed 'R.Vaughan Williams') so, I guess that it's to family or a close friend. Then it says 'X Foxy - his mark. I think that the whole inscription is written by Vaughan Williams. Thanks for asking about Oliver. I attach a recent photo. As you see, he's enjoying a typically active day:
Ah, yes, "mark" makes sense.

And thank you for the recent photo.  Does Oliver like being scratched under the chin?  Or?  In any event, please tell him that he has a "fan" in the US and scratch/pet him where he loves it the most and tell him that it's from me.

All the best wishes to you and your family,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 01, 2021, 01:02:24 PM
Ah, yes, "mark" makes sense.

And thank you for the recent photo.  Does Oliver like being scratched under the chin?  Or?  In any event, please tell him that he has a "fan" in the US and scratch/pet him where he loves it the most and tell him that it's from me.

All the best wishes to you and your family,

PD
Thank you PD and the same to you. Yes, he's very affectionate and is often to be found on the pavement (sidewalk) outside the house, lying upside down and waiting for a passer-by to make a fuss of him. I will be sure to pass on your kind greetings. He is currently enjoying his new spot - under the Christmas Tree. As you can see he enjoys using the sofa as a scratch pad.

Pohjolas Daughter

Ran across an interesting story this morning on the BBC's website.  It's about the British illustrator Louis Wain and how he helped to change people's perceptions/feeling about cats.  They've made a movie of his life starring Benedict Cumberbatch.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-59518847

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

I got a big kick out of this commercial--very clever!   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ta5Q3ITUc

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 07, 2022, 03:51:56 AM
I got a big kick out of this commercial--very clever!   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ta5Q3ITUc

PD

Yes, there's a series of them.  I agree, very clever.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on February 07, 2022, 04:46:28 AM
Yes, there's a series of them.  I agree, very clever.
I did notice today (when trying to locate the commercial on youtube) that there was another one with Walter (the cat).  Is there more than those two?  The other one that I saw featured a fishing scene.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 07, 2022, 04:59:25 AM
I did notice today (when trying to locate the commercial on youtube) that there was another one with Walter (the cat).  Is there more than those two?  The other one that I saw featured a fishing scene.

PD

I think there at least three. They were frequently played during football games.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

vandermolen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on February 07, 2022, 06:23:54 AM
I think there at least three. They were frequently played during football games.
That explains why I hadn't seen them 'til recently! lol

Quote from: vandermolen on February 07, 2022, 06:28:58 AM
Very nice!
Here's the earlier (first I believe) one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfuhFvZsgkc

By the way, I love this one about a cat raised with dogs.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfEOsxkT8EY  ;D  What a cool kitty!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 08, 2022, 03:40:51 AM
That explains why I hadn't seen them 'til recently! lol
Here's the earlier (first I believe) one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfuhFvZsgkc

By the way, I love this one about a cat raised with dogs.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfEOsxkT8EY  ;D  What a cool kitty!

PD
It's brilliant PD (cat who thinks he's a dog).

Szykneij