The Cat Thread

Started by John Copeland, February 27, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

If you need a bit of levity in your life, try watching this video (short):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oZu3-PU6KA

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: absolutelybaching on March 07, 2022, 09:48:14 AM
Excellent video. Thanks for sharing. I've known of Simon's Cat for around a decade, but you've found the motherlode!
I particularly liked when they were watching TV: the flat ears as they suddenly saw birds was spot on. The 'knowing the snooker ball is about to drop... Oh Hang on!' was also well-observed. And the 'I love my feather' at the end just sums up cats, really, quite perfectly. (I don't know how many hundreds of pounds I've spent on Harper over the years, but his favourite toy is a manky old mouse toy from Tesco, priced £3.99) and a ball of crumpled paper...)
lol So glad to hear that you enjoyed it.  I stumbled across it do to it being suggested by the search engines.  Love it!  He's (and his team) are very talented.  Believe that he owns five cats?  In any event, he certainly gets them.  Also love the action using opposable thumbs!  :D  And, yes, very often the cheapest (and free) toys are the best.  For instance, I used some (not certain what the correct term is) plastic tie (the kind of one that you need to peel off of milk or drink bottles in order to open them) and used to toss them to one cat in particular (getting very good at using the tiny band to make it roll) and she loved chasing after it!  Often other kitties loved it too.  :) 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

JonSRB77

Obey Your Feline Overlords

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JonSRB77 on March 08, 2022, 10:08:13 PM
Obey Your Feline Overlords
;D  There's a good reason that someone came up with this expression:  "Dogs have owners; cats have servants."

What kind of kitty/kitties do you have Jon?  Or are you currently catless?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on March 20, 2022, 09:08:37 AM
     https://www.youtube.com/v/m8RidkqVya0
I've seen a bit of her on youtube before.  Interesting to see--and ponder--how much the cat does really understand.  :)

By the way, I learned something interesting today:  cats in the wild (as in feral cats) don't speak to each other using vocalizations unlike with humans.  It's apparently more of a body language thing and scents in the wild.  Vocalizations is something that they've learned when they have become someone's pet.  Been watching more of Simon's Cats videos on youtube.  Besides the fun animations that he's done with his team, he's also done some informative/education types with various people including some who work at a cat humane society.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 20, 2022, 09:21:31 AM
I've seen a bit of her on youtube before.  Interesting to see--and ponder--how much the cat does really understand.  :)

PD

I don't think there's such a thing as really understanding "all the way down", even for humans. We have a bigger vocabulary of words and associated behaviors, but I don't see where there is an additional "meaning" module doing something, though I'm happy to indulge the idea because people think there is mind as something other than a functioning brain. I treat the whole thing as a kind of illusion. I do assume cats don't have that illusion and probably humans didn't either early on.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

foxandpeng

Quote from: Scion7 on February 26, 2022, 03:07:39 PM
Boxed-set arrives.  Within 10 seconds of me unpacking and tossing the box on the floor ...

Just for a minute, I thought you had stolen my cat...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Scion7

Nah, mate - cat thieves should be put on the gibbet!!!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 20, 2022, 09:21:31 AM

By the way, I learned something interesting today:  cats in the wild (as in feral cats) don't speak to each other using vocalizations unlike with humans.  It's apparently more of a body language thing and scents in the wild.  Vocalizations is something that they've learned when they have become someone's pet.  Been watching more of Simon's Cats videos on youtube.  Besides the fun animations that he's done with his team, he's also done some informative/education types with various people including some who work at a cat humane society.   :)

PD
Yes, cats from early on learnt to miaow in order to communicate with humans. It works here every time, as in 'where's my supper?'  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: Scion7 on March 22, 2022, 03:46:35 AM
Nah, mate - cat thieves should be put on the gibbet!!!

;D
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 20, 2022, 02:02:39 PM
Just for a minute, I thought you had stolen my cat...
Very pretty kitty!  Keep a good eye out on that one!

Quote from: vandermolen on March 22, 2022, 03:57:52 AM
Yes, cats from early on learnt to miaow in order to communicate with humans. It works here every time, as in 'where's my supper?'  ::)
:D ;D Yup!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

foxandpeng

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 22, 2022, 09:17:32 AM
Very pretty kitty!  Keep a good eye out on that one!
:D ;D Yup!

PD

Thank you, PD! She is a pleasant creature 😏

Tolstoy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 22, 2022, 02:22:29 PM
Thank you, PD! She is a pleasant creature 😏
How old is she and what is her personality like Fox?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

foxandpeng

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 23, 2022, 07:13:21 AM
How old is she and what is her personality like Fox?

PD

She's lovely, really  Can be a little diffident at times, but she's a cat, I guess. Broadly, she's extremely friendly, particularly during work video calls   

Tolstoy

Pohjolas Daughter

I wonder whether or not the kitty might end up missing his recent owners and end up finding its way back to the prison?  Hope all ends well.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Rosalba

We've had four cats. None of them did we buy for ourselves. Two black and whites we adopted when their owners, our friends, moved to a small urban house. Later, we took a tabby off a friend's hands because she had a small baby who needed all their attention.

But the last and best, a black kitten who stayed with us for thirteen years, we found miaowing up a tree - whether lost or abandoned, we never discovered. We made lots of inquiries before we decided that he was ours.

I always think black cats are the friendliest of all the colours - not just ours, but black cats in the street etc always seem very friendly.