The Cat Thread

Started by mahler10th, February 27, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

Quote from: Rosalba on May 07, 2022, 01:39:51 AM
We've had four cats. None of them did we buy for ourselves. Two black and whites we adopted when their owners, our friends, moved to a small urban house. Later, we took a tabby off a friend's hands because she had a small baby who needed all their attention.

But the last and best, a black kitten who stayed with us for thirteen years, we found miaowing up a tree - whether lost or abandoned, we never discovered. We made lots of inquiries before we decided that he was ours we were his.

I always think black cats are the friendliest of all the colours - not just ours, but black cats in the street etc always seem very friendly.

Fixed that for you.  ;)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

vandermolen

Whilst we have been away on holiday my daughter and her husband stayed in our house to look after our cat and water the garden. They sent this photo to show how traumatised the cat had been by our absence.  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 30, 2022, 10:51:48 PM
Whilst we have been away on holiday my daughter and her husband stayed in our house to look after our cat and water the garden. They sent this photo to show how traumatised the cat had been by our absence.  ::)

:laugh:  Alas, most cats would be more traumatized should their owner take them out of their home (familiar environment) to bring them along with them (or boarded them elsewhere).

This (below) made me smile:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 04, 2022, 04:48:06 AM
:laugh:  Alas, most cats would be more traumatized should their owner take them out of their home (familiar environment) to bring them along with them (or boarded them elsewhere).

This (below) made me smile:

PD
Very nice PD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: geralmar on August 05, 2022, 10:56:35 PM

'Punkin, our sweet tempered rescue cat from an elderly gentleman about to move in with his unsympathetic kids.  For some reason, instead of meowing when she wants attention she taps us on the arm with her forepaw.
Lovely photo! The arm tapping suggests that she knows that she is with kindred spirits.
Our cat bangs on the window when he prefers to go out that way rather than by utilising the cat-flap.  ::)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: geralmar on August 05, 2022, 10:56:35 PM

'Punkin, our sweet tempered rescue cat from an elderly gentleman about to move in with his unsympathetic kids.  For some reason, instead of meowing when she wants attention she taps us on the arm with her forepaw.
Sweet-looking kitty!  I used to have a cat that would sometimes tap me on the arm--normally when I was opening up her can of wet food.  She would rise up on her back legs (standing next to me on the floor) with her front paws up--one on the edge of the counter and one reaching for the wet food and, from what I recall, sometimes tapping me on my arm or hand as if to say "Please, please, I want my wet food!"  Made it a bit awkward trying to get the food out of the can, but it was very sweet/cute to see.   She was a small gray British shorthair cat.

Quote from: vandermolen on August 05, 2022, 11:19:51 PM
Lovely photo! The arm tapping suggests that she knows that she is with kindred spirits.
Our cat bangs on the window when he prefers to go out that way rather than by utilising the cat-flap.  ::)
Amazing how well they train us, isn't it?  I never would have thought it possible.   ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

For those who are fans of Simon's Cat, he's recently posted a couple of new ones on youtube.  They are about Teddy, the feral cat and how he met Simon's cat, etc.  Currently, there's a Part One and a Part Two.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

This is a fun story.  I haven't play any sort of video game in many, many years, but this is tempting!  https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2022/07/22/stray-cat-video-game-moos-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/wacky-world-of-jeanne-moos/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 10, 2022, 05:04:34 AM
Looks fun
Sounds like a number of cats are entertained by it too!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

An ultracat loves a Doberman and complications ensue.

I feel bad for the ultra. It's only trying to love bomb the dog.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

vandermolen

Quote from: drogulus on August 11, 2022, 10:44:15 AM
     An ultracat loves a Doberman and complications ensue.

https://www.youtube.com/v/Le1GEAHnaGo

I feel bad for the ultra. It's only trying to love bomb the dog.
What's an 'ultracat'? Looks like a cross between a cheetah and a cat. When I looked it up online I just got adverts for different types of cat food. What an extraordinary looking creature.

vandermolen

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 14, 2022, 12:45:38 AM
It was a serval.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serval

It is beautiful, and I want one! (Plus a raccoon).
How extraordinary! Thank you. I want one too but I'm not sure that my cat would agree!

drogulus

I guess you could say an ultracat has maximally great properties, like servals do. It's subjective, I know.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on August 14, 2022, 04:01:39 PM
Two fisherman are attacked by two dangerous aquatic animals

https://twitter.com/TansuYegen/status/1558411296277778435
It's good to see that there are still some kind and caring people out there.  And happy that they were adopted by a nice family too.  :)

I don't know much about servals, but ran across this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6pcLWRAZM

I can't believe how gentle the animal is--particularly around the baby!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 15, 2022, 10:32:26 AM
My Harper, who lost all his teeth, is gentle too -but still has a penchant for biting my nose to wake me up in the morning. And it still hurts, because what he lacks in the teeth department, he seems to have compensated for in the jaw muscle one!
Oh, noooo!!!

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 15, 2022, 10:32:26 AMI would hate to be on the receiving end of that Serval's strong jaws and extremely sharp teeth, even in play-mode!
Yup!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

This made me smile:

It's titled "When you lie on your resumé and still get the job".  :D

PD

https://www.boredpanda.com/cat-funny-posts/?utm_source=duckduckgo&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=organic

p.s.  One of the people posting a comment about it said that it was taking on a Australian navy ship that rescued people trapped on a beach due to brush fires.  They rescued the people and all of their pets too.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 16, 2022, 11:28:30 AM
I have to say, those look more like army uniforms than navy; and they don't look terribly Australian whatever their precise nature.
But those were my 56th reaction.
The first 55 were, "Awwwww.."  :-*
I know what you mean re the uniforms, but after doing a bit of googling, it appears that the navy also uses camouflage uniforms.  Looking closer at the picture though, it looks more like the inside of a building than on a ship; note the ceiling and the wall (with what looks like some kind of a wire going through a gap in a ceiling tile).  In any event, I do like  "Seaman Kitty".  :D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter