Started by John Copeland, February 27, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

I totally got this one...and teared up:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Sadly, we had to have our 20-year-old cat Lunette put to sleep this morning. She was the last of a litter of five a stray cat we adopted had, all of which led long, happy lives. The picture is from last year.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

SimonNZ

20 is a remarkable age for a cat - 100 in human years. And if she's 19 in that photo her coat looks really good and healthy.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on August 25, 2022, 09:34:40 AM
Sadly, we had to have our 20-year-old cat Lunette put to sleep this morning. She was the last of a litter of five a stray cat we adopted had, all of which led long, happy lives. The picture is from last year.
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that!  Sounds like you took good care of all of them for them to have lived such long lives.  May I ask what she was struggling with in the end?

And how kind of you to have adopted a stray kitty.  Was the mom very friendly or more on the feral side?  Bet that you have wonderful memories of all of them--particularly when they were kittens.  :)

All the best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 25, 2022, 10:32:26 AM
20 is a remarkable age for a cat - 100 in human years. And if she's 19 in that photo her coat looks really good and healthy.

Yes, she was a tiny, healthy girl but went downhill fairly quickly this summer. We were fortunate to have her that long. Her siblings all lasted between 17 and 19 years. We kept three from the litter and my sister-in-law took the other two, so we know all of their histories.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 25, 2022, 10:50:23 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that!  Sounds like you took good care of all of them for them to have lived such long lives.  May I ask what she was struggling with in the end?

And how kind of you to have adopted a stray kitty.  Was the mom very friendly or more on the feral side?  Bet that you have wonderful memories of all of them--particularly when they were kittens.  :)

All the best,

PD

We don't know exactly what caused her failing and it would have been too hard on the cat to find out.

Many years ago, the mother was a stray who would visit me every day for food. It was clear she was nursing kittens somewhere, but I had no idea where that might have been. About that time, my sister was looking for a new cat, so the plan was I would take in the stray when I knew the kittens were on their own and bring her to Maine to live with my sister. Unfortunately, she disappeared before than could happen.

Months later, as we came home late on a freezing cold winter night, the stray was back shivering on our driveway. Since it was the weekend, my son and I drove her to her new home in Maine that evening, but had to turn around and go back the next morning when the vet announced the cat was pregnant again and my sister wasn't able to deal with the situation. Chloe (as she was eventually named) had the litter of five that Lunette was part of at our place and finally made it back to Maine where she had the good life she deserved.

LKB

My condolences, though twenty years is exceptional. I can only think that she lasted so long because she wanted to.

I hope you'll introduce us to a new pet in sure time.  ;)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Szykneij

Quote from: LKB on August 25, 2022, 05:11:30 PM
My condolences, though twenty years is exceptional. I can only think that she lasted so long because she wanted to.

I hope you'll introduce us to a new pet in sure time.  ;)

Thank you. She did lead a good, long life and gratefully didn't suffer for too long once her health declined.

We still have our behemoth cat "Spunky", but do plan to add to the menagerie. We're thinking we might need to go with a kitten because I'm not sure the Spunkster and the satos would welcome a grown cat into the clan. It's a pretty tight-knit group, but with a house as old as ours, we like having multiple cats to deter unwelcome visitors.

LKB

Quote from: Szykneij on August 25, 2022, 05:43:50 PM
Thank you. She did lead a good, long life and gratefully didn't suffer for too long once her health declined.

We still have our behemoth cat "Spunky", but do plan to add to the menagerie. We're thinking we might need to go with a kitten because I'm not sure the Spunkster and the satos would welcome a grown cat into the clan. It's a pretty tight-knit group, but with a house as old as ours, we like having multiple cats to deter unwelcome visitors.

A kitten seems like a good choice, imho. I wish you the best of luck.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on August 25, 2022, 05:43:50 PM

Spunky sounds like she was aptly named judging by the photo!  :D  ;)

And I see that they are indoor/outdoor kitties too.  Hopefully help you also by dealing with critters in your garden--or at least keeping them at bay?

Good luck with getting a new kitten (when you are ready); they would be lucky to have found such a caring home.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Szykneij on August 25, 2022, 09:34:40 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that. 20 is an amazing age - obviously she was very well looked after and was lucky to find a home with you. I have never had a cat that lived to beyond c.15/16.
Kindest thoughts
Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Szykneij

Quote from: vandermolen on August 26, 2022, 06:28:33 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that. 20 is an amazing age - obviously she was very well looked after and was lucky to find a home with you. I have never had a cat that lived to beyond c.15/16.
Kindest thoughts
Jeffrey

Thank you. There was definitely a longevity element to that gene pool.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on August 26, 2022, 08:07:02 AM
Thank you. There was definitely a longevity element to that gene pool.
How are you holding up Szykneij?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

I'm doing ok. Thank you for asking.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

The second gunman on the grassy knoll?

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Our cat was so pleased to see us when we got back from the Max Richter concert in London in the early hours of last Sunday morning that he jumped into the car to join us:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 04, 2022, 05:32:24 AM
Our cat was so pleased to see us when we got back from the Max Richter concert in London in the early hours of last Sunday morning that he jumped into the car to join us:

;D

Are you sure that it wasn't a case of "Where's my wet food?!  You're late!"  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter