The Cat Thread

Started by mahler10th, February 27, 2009, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Bachtoven on May 05, 2024, 04:26:36 PMFazi and Zeus are still best friends--and getting bigger all the time (they are 8 and 7 months old, respectively). Still a bit rambunctious, too, but it's getting better. They are as adorable and sweet as can be, but I still desperately miss Lucy and Ethel.

Please remind me, which one is which?

And sweet to see them snuggled up together.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Bachtoven

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 06, 2024, 01:32:59 PMPlease remind me, which one is which?

And sweet to see them snuggled up together.  :)

PD
Zeus is on the left--the tuxedo kitty.

drogulus

Kony is scared of people.

Also, Kona has his fathers eyes.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on May 07, 2024, 09:56:25 AMKony is scared of people.

Well, I don't know how many people were there, but from my experience, cats tend to hide away when there's a lot of people/noise/commotion.  Every cat is different in terms of how comfortable it feels around folks--particularly strangers.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

There's something maybe just a little obscene about this.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

The new downstairs neighbors have a cat, who (perched at the bottom of a front window) just gave me the feline eye.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 15, 2024, 03:47:55 PMThe new downstairs neighbors have a cat, who (perched at the bottom of a front window) just gave me the feline eye.
8) Smile back and slowly blink your eyes a few times (after saying a kind, gentle and friendly hello.  Talk to it a bit.).  See how the cat reacts.  Does it blink back?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 15, 2024, 04:08:16 PM8) Smile back and slowly blink your eyes a few times (after saying a kind, gentle and friendly hello.  Talk to it a bit.).  See how the cat reacts.  Does it blink back?

PD
I did address the cat, it remained inscrutable. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 15, 2024, 04:14:28 PMI did address the cat, it remained inscrutable.
Give it some time.  And don't give up.  Keep talking to it in a friendly way and try the blinks--seriously.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 15, 2024, 04:25:23 PMGive it some time.  And don't give up.  Keep talking to it in a friendly way and try the blinks--seriously.

PD
Remember, too, that the cat is trying to adjust to its new surroundings--which can be very hard for them as from what I've read over the years is that they're very territorial.  Like anyone, change can be awkward/hard as in it's still trying to figure things out--let alone new persons and/or animals.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 15, 2024, 04:52:46 PMRemember, too, that the cat is trying to adjust to its new surroundings--which can be very hard for them as from what I've read over the years is that they're very territorial.  Like anyone, change can be awkward/hard as in it's still trying to figure things out--let alone new persons and/or animals.

PD

Edit:  It might also have new "owners"...another source of stress.  And I hope that you and your new neighbors get along well.  :)  8) And one other tip.  If/when you do meet the cat, don't try and pat it on the head.  Let it smell you (as in like a fist gently extended forward for the cat to sniff), see how it reacts and then  possibly try a scratch under the chin and see how it goes.  Go slow.  Don't rush things.
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Found on the Internetz
[This may not be quite comprehensible to non-USAians not familiar with how American attorneys advertise.]
750CFAC4-B257-4D42-9BC3-C9A1D698B357.jpg

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

drogulus

A Squeakster in Paradise

Pohjolas Daughter

From way back when: 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Bachtoven

So much for being a dignified kitty!

Bachtoven

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter