The Dog Thread

Started by Dr. Dread, February 28, 2009, 05:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Quote from: Szykneij on March 23, 2022, 03:21:45 AM
These Satos are barking models, but don't shed like our previous Beagles. Cuddles required.

;D ;D

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 23, 2022, 07:16:14 AM
Looks like a sweetie-pie!  :)

PD

Thank you! She is  :)
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Rosalba

We got our first dog when we were in our thirties - we didn't know which breed to get, but I fell in love with an Airedale that I found tied up outside a supermarket. It was just the feel of that bony head, and maybe also because it's a Yorkshire dog and I had one of those toy Airedales on wheels when I was a little girl.

So we bought an Airedale puppy (male) from a local breeder, and after he left us, we got a girl puppy from a different source. We are dogless at present but I'm still in love with the breed.

André

A stock picture of a Lakeland Terrier. When I was in my teens my dad bought one. It's quite similar to the Airedale, only much smaller. Very lively and active breed.

Rosalba

Quote from: André on May 02, 2022, 05:42:30 AM

A stock picture of a Lakeland Terrier. When I was in my teens my dad bought one. It's quite similar to the Airedale, only much smaller. Very lively and active breed.

I love Lakies, along with Welsh Terriers & Wire Fox Terriers & Kerry Blue Terriers - anything with that boxy shape!

My second favourite breed is the Border Terrier - we had a lovely little lad who lived with our Airedale bitch and they were devoted friends.

LKB

I prefer mid- and larger breeds, myself. I work at a police headquarters where several K-9 units are based, and it's interesting to observe the differences in personalities among the Alsatians. When they're off- duty, their behavior ranges from " nap time " to " play play play play... "

In other words, they act like dogs.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Rosalba

Quote from: LKB on May 03, 2022, 05:33:01 AM
I prefer mid- and larger breeds, myself. I work at a police headquarters where several K-9 units are based, and it's interesting to observe the differences in personalities among the Alsatians. When they're off- duty, their behavior ranges from " nap time " to " play play play play... "

In other words, they act like dogs.

I love the look of Alsatians - now called German Shepherds for some reason - but was nervous of them as a girl because they had a reputation for being fierce.

Curiously, the big dog that I like, the Airedale, was common in the 1930s and at that time had a reputation for being fierce, but the breed fell out of favour after the Second World War and aggression has been bred out of them, although an Airedale is brave and will stand its ground.

One big advantage of the Airedale over the Alsatian is that it doesn't moult. I remember an owner of an Alsatian who'd groom his dog after the outdoor walk - you'd see screeds of dog-fuzz being blown all over the trees and the field. :)

LKB

The shedding would be an annoyance, no doubt. But I'd still like to have one ( along with the Rottweiler and golden retriever...  ::) )
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Rosalba

One thing that puts me off getting a dog again is that we like to travel round the UK and in the past, when we had dogs, we'd always go for a holiday cottage which allows animals. This cut the choice down and in any case our holiday of choice now is often a music summer school, so taking a dog with us would no longer be an option.

However, things have changed a bit since we last had a dog, ten years ago now - people will now board dogs in their own home, and I suppose also we could also try doing the same for other dog owners we got to know - as you always do - on walks.

Pohjolas Daughter

This one made me cry and also be appreciative of all of the techs and people who give so much to help animals--a puppy who needed to be in an oxygen unit:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2WXwhzBsMk  Thank you!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 08, 2022, 01:10:35 PM
This one made me cry and also be appreciative of all of the techs and people who give so much to help animals--a puppy who needed to be in an oxygen unit:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2WXwhzBsMk  Thank you!

PD
What a lovely video!
Sally is very lucky to have such loving attention.
My wife would like a dog, but I am more of a cat person.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 10, 2022, 09:30:48 AM
What a lovely video!
Sally is very lucky to have such loving attention.
My wife would like a dog, but I am more of a cat person.
Glad that you enjoyed it.  I found it to be very moving...and was delighted about the results (sounds like Sally was a happy and healthy puppy in the end).  Amazing how she instinctively knew when to return to the oxygen tent and when she decided that she didn't need it anymore.

And, well, perhaps think about merging your various loves?  It could work.  Pardon, but I forget how old your cat is...I think that it's on the older side or middle aged side?  So maybe a calmer older dog vs. a puppy?  And I suspect, knowing you the bit that I know, that you would fall in love with it.  Think about it.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 10, 2022, 12:30:47 PM
Glad that you enjoyed it.  I found it to be very moving...and was delighted about the results (sounds like Sally was a happy and healthy puppy in the end).  Amazing how she instinctively knew when to return to the oxygen tent and when she decided that she didn't need it anymore.

And, well, perhaps think about merging your various loves?  It could work.  Pardon, but I forget how old your cat is...I think that it's on the older side or middle aged side?  So maybe a calmer older dog vs. a puppy?  And I suspect, knowing you the bit that I know, that you would fall in love with it.  Think about it.  :)

PD
Thanks PD. If I ever get to properly 'retire' we might consider this. Oliver, out cat is 7.
I won't tell him that he features on a 'dog thread'  :o
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

drogulus

What can I say about this marvelous doggie?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on November 18, 2022, 11:00:05 AM
     What can I say about this marvelous doggie?

https://www.youtube.com/v/ba8mk3oqr1g
Augh!!!!   :'(  :'(  :)

I want a dog like that...and a kitten!

Amazing how smart and kind and gentle that dog is.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

What happened to Daisy.

https://youtu.be/5llxeCJfdm8

Ends well, but best to have a box of tissues nearby.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 21, 2022, 12:14:55 AM
What happened to Daisy.

https://youtu.be/5llxeCJfdm8

Ends well, but best to have a box of tissues nearby.
Augh!  Poor dog and owner(s).   :(  Trust that Daisy has made a full recovery?  He mentioned that she kept spitting out her meds.

I ended up watching some of his other videos (or bits at least....it was early here--I woke up rather too early--and went back to sleep).  I have a few questions for you, but I'll post them in the gardening thread.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 21, 2022, 03:42:42 AM
Augh!  Poor dog and owner(s).   :(  Trust that Daisy has made a full recovery?  He mentioned that she kept spitting out her meds.

I ended up watching some of his other videos (or bits at least....it was early here--I woke up rather too early--and went back to sleep).  I have a few questions for you, but I'll post them in the gardening thread.

PD

We had a Doberman, Ziggy. They are a special breed but protective to a fault.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 21, 2022, 08:39:50 AM
We had a Doberman, Ziggy. They are a special breed but protective to a fault.
Oh, sweet!  Was the we when you were with your parents or with your wife?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 21, 2022, 08:45:45 AM
Oh, sweet!  Was the we when you were with your parents or with your wife?

PD

Wife, PD. We both love animals but unfortunately my wife has developed a serious allergic reaction to the hair of both cats and dogs (worse for dogs). We would love a furry friend but it is not to be.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 22, 2022, 07:28:36 AM
Wife, PD. We both love animals but unfortunately my wife has developed a serious allergic reaction to the hair of both cats and dogs (worse for dogs). We would love a furry friend but it is not to be.
Oh, so very sorry to hear that.

How did you wind up with the name Ziggy by the way?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter