GABRIELA MONTERO

Started by Robert, May 27, 2007, 08:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert

I was in the library and noticed this disc by Gabriela Montero playing Chopin and Rachmaninov. "In concert at Montreal" anyone have any information on her?

Robert

Quote from: Robert on May 27, 2007, 08:27:42 AM
I was in the library and noticed this disc by Gabriela Montero playing Chopin and Rachmaninov. "In concert at Montreal" anyone have any information on her?
Gosh all those recommendations....I thought atleast Don, Todd or Andre' (considering she gave the concert in Montreal) would know something about her. Well I guess I am going to have to go cold turkey...........

Iconito

"I have rarely come across a talent like Gabriela's. She is a unique artist." --Martha Argerich (quote taken from Wikipedia)

Now, if you still care for MY opinion ( :) ), I saw her in concert a couple of times and she is amazing. If you ever have the chance to see her, by all means don't miss it. OTOH, I haven't heard that (or any of hers... Yet...) recording, so I really can't comment on that... Why don't you try it and let us know?
It's your language. I'm just trying to use it --Victor Borge

Josquin des Prez

I heard some of her 'improvisations' once. She sucked.

Robert

Quote from: Iconito on May 28, 2007, 09:31:28 AM
"I have rarely come across a talent like Gabriela's. She is a unique artist." --Martha Argerich (quote taken from Wikipedia)

Now, if you still care for MY opinion ( :) ), I saw her in concert a couple of times and she is amazing. If you ever have the chance to see her, by all means don't miss it. OTOH, I haven't heard that (or any of hers... Yet...) recording, so I really can't comment on that... Why don't you try it and let us know?

Thanks for that. I love positive feedback. OTOH just look above and see what direct feedback looks like. That kind of comment makes me want to hear her....I love improv.....

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Robert on May 28, 2007, 12:35:16 PM
That kind of comment makes me want to hear her....I love improv.....

Did i mention that she blows? (for the perverts: not what you are thinking).

jochanaan

Hey, Josquin, at least she DOES improvise (unlike the great majority of classical musicians)! :D  And, despite your dis"taste" for her ;D, she's pretty good at it.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Robert

Quote from: jochanaan on May 28, 2007, 02:10:24 PM
Hey, Josquin, at least she DOES improvise (unlike the great majority of classical musicians)! :D  And, despite your dis"taste" for her ;D, she's pretty good at it.
Thanks........ SOLD.you clinched it......I will pick it up next time I am at the library and report back.....

Iconito

She usually does improvisations as encores. Anybody in the audience names or sings a tune (usually a very simple and popular one) and she, somehow, makes something beautiful (and, many times, very funny) with it. It works wonders at concerts and you're guaranteed to applaud like crazy and go back home with a smile on your face.

Now, I don't know how well this sort of performer-audience games work on recordings. According to Josquin (note the wonderful font-joke: Italic and bold  ;D), it doesn't work very well...

Anyway, IMHO, she has much to offer, besides the improvisations. I'll look forward to your report, Robert.
It's your language. I'm just trying to use it --Victor Borge